Ange1

If a hen dies...What do you do with it?

:oops: Sorry folks this isn't a nice question!

What do people do?

Are you allowed to dare I say it 'bin it'?

Do you bury it?

Take it to the vet to dispose of? Is this expensive?

Boy friend has asked and our girls aren't due for another 7 weeks!

I think he just wants to get it clear in his own mind, should the worse happen.

:roll: Men are like that...

:D I'm more of an optomistic! (sp)

You can put them in the bin: I had prepared Lydia, wrapped her in a towel and found her a lovely box to use as a coffin. However, when it came to it, my husband couldn't do it (this is my husband who was very unsupportive of me getting chooks). So he decided he wanted to bury her. He had to dig a very deep grave, and cover it in paving slabe to make sure the fox didn't dig her up!

I would bnever consider burning., The smell would be aeful - just like roasting chicken.

I loved Lydia very much, and I very much believe that once she was dead the body was just a body, so I would have been OK with the bin route (well wrapped up and in her little coffin).

Well, I now have 4 hens and a cat buried in my garden. I don't think they are 4 feet deep. We had some left over roof tiles which are covering them. This seems to have kept them safe and I have not seen any attempt to dig them up.

We were told to be careful with Kelly as she 'had barbiturates on board' which would be harmful to a fox, but the vet let us bring her home. :)

I've only lost one chicken so far, and she had to be put to sleep. I had the bill this week and was pleasantly surprised to find that they only charged £9.65 for the consultation and the euthanasia and disposal.

Last time I had to have a cat put to sleep it was nearer £60, leaving aside the £100 call-out fee because it was 4.00 am ... :roll:

If one of mine died naturally, I think I would put her in the bin depending which week it was! In the winter we only get fortnightly collections. Otherwise, I'd pop up to the vets - they are only half a mile away - and ask them to dispose of her.

Sounds like you could do either, except burn them!

I can see my small garden being turned over to more patio with paving slabs!!

I've never seen a fox, but I am told that once my girls and cube arrive I will!