Paola

When to let go...

My last original girls Henrietta is poorly :( She has not been herself for a few weeks, quite and not so quick. I wormed her without any luck, mite powder etc. She seemed week on Friday so I took her to the vets. The vet who owns chickens was away for the week but thankfully I got the senior vet who gave her a check over. He could not feel anything nasty so sent us home with weeks worth of antibiotics thinking it was some sort of tummy bug/virus and advised only mixed corn for the week. I am keeping everything crossed that it works but if it does not then I might have to let her go :( Every time I think about it I well up :cry: It is so hard to know what to do for the best :cry:

Annie's right, Paola. You will know when the time is right. I did with Clarry after lots of poorly sessions which she'd previously recovered from. It was obvious she was suffering in her last day and although the decision is hard, it's the kindest thing to do if you know they're miserable.

Hugs to you xx

Paola,

I know how you feel, my hen could no longer walk, she ate not as much as she used to though, but she would just sit outside, we put her on antibiotics and she just got worse as the days went on. It was so upsetting, I think we gave it a week and after that her quality of life was just so poor, chickens like scratching around and eating things and chasing magpies. We are all thinking about you!

Thank you all for your kind words. She is not improving :( However I will let her finish her antibiotics. I know DD1 is going to take it really hard if we have to let her go, which makes it worse :cry:

My thoughts are with you Clare (((((((big squeeze))))))

Henrietta seemed to improve a little after the antibiotics but today she is not well at all :( The heat does not help. I just hoped that she would make a full recovery :cry: She is even being pecked by the chook at the bottom of the pecking order :evil: It is just not fair to let her suffer anymore :cry: I have booked an appointment in the morning. I would have taken her today but could not face it with all three children in tow :cry: I know DD1 is going to be very upset. I will tell them in the morning so they can say there goodbyes :cry: Every time I think about it I well up :cry: