Bexiboo

Seen the new plastic roosting bars in the omlet shop yet?

Here's my email to Johannes

Re Plastic cube roosting bars

I read on the forum today that you are now sending these out with the cubes, but only from yesterday.

My reconditioned cube was sent to me on Monday (so I have missed out on the plastic bars by one day) & was only due for delivery tomorrow, but actually arrived 10 minutes ago.

So had my cube been posted to me on Tuesday then the likeihood is that I would have received it on the correct delivery day-tomorrow-, AND got my plastic roosting bars as well.

I'm really quite upset about this, since I have read reports on the forum that the wooden bars tend to disintigrate quite soon, & wondered if you would consider sending me some plastic roosting bars in exchange for me sending you back the wooden ones?

Thanks

What is really silly is that Omlet were obviously trying to get rid of all the wooden roosting bars before announcing the plastic ones. This means that people like me who prefer wood no longer seem to have the option in the shop of buying a spare set.

But you will love the Cube: don't send it back just because of this. If the worst comes to the worst, someone on eBay will probably be daft enough to pay a fortune for brand-new vintage wooden bars.

If the orders are sent out in strict rotation, then you would have been in the last batch of wooden bars even if the courier hadn't arrived early.

What is really silly is that Omlet were obviously trying to get rid of all the wooden roosting bars before announcing the plastic ones. This means that people like me who prefer wood no longer seem to have the option in the shop of buying a spare set.

Your right Gallina!

I've just checked the shop and the only wooden roosting bars now are for the Mk1 Eglu, which understandably doesn't have the new plastic roosting bars available due to their age.

But I would have thought that they would have given people the choice of sticking with wood in the shop, even though I think they made the right decision about shipping all the new Eglu's with the new plastic roosting bars...

If the choice has been taken away for the welfare of the chickens, because of a design flaw, then why haven't they issued a recall and supplied everyone with a free upgrade to the plastic roosting bars? :?

not here they don't we don't have any extras in the Omlet US shop.

I've just checked the US site and your right as well!! :shock:

What happens if you need to replace a broken or lost part with a spare? :?:roll:

I'm with Gallina and don't like the plastic bars at all. Yes, wooden bars soaked up water, but they would soon dry out and at least wood can breath, I have images of sweaty feeted chickens sliding off the bars.

Mind you I didn't order a replacement set of bars from Omlet, so if I had wanted a new set of wooden bars I would have been scuppered. Instead I recently made my own, wider version of the roosting bars to fit my eglu. As they're wider the hens can perch properly and don't end up sitting on the bars and making a mess, by having it like this you end up with less poo stuck on the bars as more of it falls through.

I'm sure I made a post about this a while ago with pictures of the finished result. BTW Gallina, if you give me the measurements of the cube bars I might be able to make you a replacement set for when you want them...they'd be a wider version though.

I'm with Gallina and don't like the plastic bars at all. Yes, wooden bars soaked up water, but they would soon dry out and at least wood can breath, I have images of sweaty feeted chickens sliding off the bars.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but I just don't get it. :?

The main attraction of the Omlet products, is that they are hygenic and easy to clean, whilst not providing places for red mites to lurk.

If you like wood, why didn't you buy a traditional wooden coop?

In theory they could still slide off the plastic nesting box, does that not bother you?

For me the small runged plastic ladder on the Cube is more of a worry, but even so I haven't heard any reports of broken legs... YET! :lol:

I don't believe chickens have sweat glands in their feet, so I don't think we need to worry on that score.

And I guess I have faith that Omlet tested out the new bars for foot grip with some hens before making them standard.

I think the longevity and hygeine aspects sway me to the new bars.

I prefer the wood aswell, as that is what I prefer. Also my wooden bars are pressure washed every week and are like new, one set is only a few months old so im not going to pay out £25 for new bars when I have perfectly good wooden ones. If my wooden ones break or come loose - they can be easily put back together, not sure this will be so easy mending plastic ones. :?

If you like wood, why didn't you buy a traditional wooden coop?

In theory they could still slide off the plastic nesting box, does that not bother you?

For me the small runged plastic ladder on the Cube is more of a worry, but even so I haven't heard any reports of broken legs... YET! :lol:

I started off with a wooden coop and it was a pain to clean, especially in the winter when all the wood became swollen with rain. It was the ease of cleaning and the weight issue of the eglu that made me go for one, as I have described many a time when justifying myself.

As for your nestbox comment they don't perch on that, they just sit in it, so I don't understand your argument.

I have heard reports that the eglu cube run ladder is not particularly grippy and heard reports of chickens sliding down it. Wood just seems a better material for a perch, and is more breathable and don't take in as much heat as plastic products, isn't that enough for you?

C'mon fellow hen lovers! Things are getting a bit angst-y in here over this. To each her/his own... after all, we're taking about roosting bars here, not threats to world peace :anxious:

:oops:

Sorry, I was just annoyed and felt I had to justify myself as the point I was making was just not getting through.

Back to Diane A's look at the roosting bars, I think that was why the wooden ones were better as when one side gut dirty you could simply turn them over until they were really grubby.

The trouble is i've never managed to get mine really new. I don't pressure wash every week, mainly because i suffer from chronic fatigue so i have to pick my moments. I can get the majority of the poo off but there's always some brown tar-like stains that won't come off :vom: If i pressure wash them too closely, i end up splintering the bars.

BTW, those who like wooden bars, good for you, i would never tell you what to think :wink:

I would guess that there might be a chance of picking up some wooden bars from the free to collector section if lots of people upgrade to the plastic ones. :)

The eglu I am getting comes with 2 sets of wooden ones so I am going to see how I go with those before ordering. I might have to order an orange shade though, it looks very cool 8)

If the choice has been taken away for the welfare of the chickens, because of a design flaw, then why haven't they issued a recall and supplied everyone with a free upgrade to the plastic roosting bars? :?

It has nothing to do with a design flaw, more to do with Omleteers asking for plastic bars for ease of cleaning.

Ordered my pink refresher kit! Don't those new shades look really fetching eh? It really will make it look great again. Thank heavens for plastic roosting bars, they'd have been nice in pink, but for now I'll be very happy with dark grey! Thanks Omlet!

I'll be ordering some for the cube soon, along with a red refresher kit for the red eglu & some nice householdy bits.

I predict coloured cube covers will be on the horizon?

Emma.x

:shock: how did I miss this!

I really want some - it's the worst bit of cleaning the Cube. Sadly, Prudence is frowning heavily and pursing her lips - this has been an expensive month - but I think she might lighten up a bit after payday, and let me order an extra arch as well, so I can do the door modification.

This is all that's needed to make me and my chooks very happy! Well, they probably don't care - but it will make cleaning a doddle.

Wish they did Cube bars to match the outside though! *pouts*