Helly Welly

Center parcs

Further to my other holiday thread, OH has now come up with Center Parcs as another holiday idea.

We've found a wheelchair accessible lodge in Cumbria for just over £1000 for one week which is fine.

What concerns me is how much the activities cost. We wouldn't be doing spa stuff, more like falconry, archery and the kids club stuff.

So, has anyone been before and what sort of charges can we expect for the activities?

I have been to Centre Parcs at longleat. I do love it there but I think of it more of a winter holiday place (I enjoy the beach in the summer). There are lots of activities going on there but I have to say I did find them a bit expensive. They don't send you the price list till after you have booked up too.

It is beautiful at centre parcs though.

The Cumbria one is lovely - used to be Oasis, which is when we went. You'd love it there Helen! 8)

I know it can work out expensive - but nowhere near as expensive as the holiday you quoted yesterday :shock: There will always be plenty to do - even if we hjave typical British Weather :lol:

I can't remember any prices now - but Sarah probably will!

Edit: you are allowed to leave the Parc if you want to :lol: ......... and you're not far from beaches, the Lakes etc.

Centerparcs is BRILLIANT - we go at least once a year if we can :P

Other expenses - well, I think I still have my welcome pack booklet which I can post to you,if you like?

The Spa is the most expensive - about £40 each I think, but well worth it in my opinion.

It has great facilities for the disabled, including a ramp down to the pool for wheelchairs,& the staff are lovley & will be more than happy to help you 8)

Further to my other holiday thread, OH has now come up with Center Parcs as another holiday idea.

We've found a wheelchair accessible lodge in Cumbria for just over £1000 for one week which is fine.

did you really just type just over £1000 for one week - and "Ooops, word censored!"ody bats an eyelid???

I must be out of touch with holiday prices....

Phil :shock:

I have an up-to-date list for Whinfell Forest if you'd like it? PM me if you do & I'll pop it in the post.

When we go we like to wander around the complex, go swimming, laze in the lodge. The activities can be expensive, but I go along with the attitude that what you do is something that you'd only try once, so last year Alexander & I tried archery 8)

Whinfell is quite hilly in places though.

You can go on & off site as often as you like :D

Winfell is the only one I have not been too, but all the others are fab,with Longleat being my favourite.

They are working on a new one now ,which is in Bedfordshire,so good for us to get to 8)

http://www.press.centerparcs.co.uk/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=67&NewsAreaID=2

Revnev,I don't think £1000 is much for a week if its for the whole family.

Winfell is the only one I have not been too, but all the others are fab,with Longleat being my favourite.

They are working on a new one now ,which is in Bedfordshire,so good for us to get to 8)

probably isn't... it just made me pause for breath, there's five of us and that usually is what we spend for 2 weeks...

anyway - that's off topic - hope you have a fabulous time Helen,

Phil

Can't speak for Winfell as I don't know what accom they have there,but we had a Woodland Lodge at Longleat & it was just lovely.

Really modern,comfortable,clean & airy - I loved it & I am fussy about where I stay too 8)

I think they have them in all parcs,but am not 100% on that.

We booked up to return again next May in the same accomodation,we liked it so much

The 2 storey 3 bedroom exclusives are gorgeous too, & have a sauna of their own :D

We stayed in an exclusive one in April at Sherwood for my dad's 50th.It was lovely-it will be different having to go back to sharing one bathroom from having one each.The hot tub was the best thing though and then the sauna to dry off in.The new woodland lodges look really nice too.We are hoping to go to go to Longleat in the summer as we havn't been there for about 10years because its further away. Im sure you would have a great time there though.Just going around the park is lovely.

We loved Center Parcs, but thought it was very pricey. If you do a lot of activities the £££ really add up. Plus you have to self-cater or eat at their restaurants adding more £££

So, earlier this year we went to the Manor House Hotel on Dartmoor, Devon, which is really reasonable (never more than £250 for a weekend break or £550 for a week, all food included). All their activities (of which there are LOTS) are either free or have a nominal charge. They have lots of craft activities (such as pottery, enamelling, glass engraving, picture framing, jewellery making, T-shirt painting, card-making) for which you pay just a couple of £ for the materials and loads of sports activities including archery, laser clay shooting, squash, badminton, tennis, ten pin bowling, bowls, volleyball, golf (2 x 18-holes a day for free!), Dartmoor walks, all of which are on-site and are free, plus there are many off-site activities which have to be paid for, but not too expensive. And they have two pool areas with jaccuzzi, sauna, steam rooms, and spa treatment rooms (£20 for an hour's treatments). Loads of other activities I can't bring to mind at the moment! There are child-care facilities. Food is plain but good. I'm not sure about how extensive the grounds are as it was pouring with rain and blowing a gale when we were there there so we did not venture outside!!

There is wheelchair access everywhere, but I don't know how easy it is to use as I didn't see anyone in a wheelchair while I was there.

The downside is that it will never get an award for decor! It looks like it was decorated in the 1960s and time has stood still since then (may account for the cheap prices!!). Everything is clean and even fairly recently decorated (but just by someone whose taste was formed a long time ago and not changed). However, we and everyone we spoke to while there agreed that if you can ignore the decor, the value for money is simply amazing. The staff are all very helpful. It is great for kids, especially those who are keen on arty crafty stuff.

I would recommend it most highly.

See their website: http://www.manorhousehotel.co.uk/

Its not like Center Parcs and it does not have the range of outdoor activities or the amazing pool compex, but it does offer a many of the same activities at a fraction of the price.

We went mid-March and it was pretty busy, mainly with people who have been going for years! The free golf and tennis appeared to be a particular attraction, esp the indoor tennis halls, which were being largely occupied by a party of about 30 from a tennis club.

At the time of year that we went and it being mid-week, we did lower the average age quite considerably on arrival, but by the weekend lots of younger folk turned up so we did not feel so out of place!!! We would definitely go again, whilst we probably would not go to Centre Parcs again unless there was a considerable discount.

Anyway, I thought I'd pass it on for the benefit of anyone who feels Centre Parcs is out of their price range!

I am quite fussy when it comes to accommodation - I would be right at home in the Exclusive Lodge - however at £1800 for 3 nights :shock: can't justify it!

What level of accommodation do you think would suit? Would be looking at Whinfell.

The exclusive lodges are great , we have done it twice with mum and mum in law. Plenty of room, plus hot tub sauna and steam room, en suite in all four bedrooms. It is great. If you can find someone to share with it is well worth it.

Im originally from cumbria and though ive never been I know that one of my friends swears by the place as she doesn't want to fly with 2 young children (1 only just 1 and 1 4) and they've been going there since the 4 yr old was teeny...

BUT on the down side it does cost them much more than 2 weeks abroad as all the activities and kids stuff add up.

!

The area - lakes - is gorgoeus if you get the weather! if not it can get very wet and very muddy but im sure they have plenty to do if it is raining. If your looking for good weather id definately say go abroad as growing up near the lake you soon learn that days out depend on the weather (even when you've been looking forward to said day out for months!) to rain and be cold!!!

Stacey

xXx

probably isn't... it just made me pause for breath, there's five of us and that usually is what we spend for 2 weeks...

anyway - that's off topic - hope you have a fabulous time Helen,

Phil

£1,000 sounds a lot to me too Phil. We do probably spend that over the year on holidays plus weekends away but we like to spread the fun over a number of weeks/weekends.

We have just been to North Norfolk and called in to look at a campsite we thought might be good for the summer holidays - we were horrified to discover it would cost us £34.50 a night :shock::lol:

But it is almost a campsite version of Center Parcs (Kelling Heath if anyone wants to know)

We will probably go elsewhere...

Anyway, when we went to Center Parcs, L was quite young and all she wanted to do was stay in the pool all day so we did not have to fork out for any extras....

Even now (at 7) I think she would be quite happy to stay in the pool most of the time as when we go to Oasis in Bedford (much less interesting) we manage to spend 4 hours there :roll:

I'm going to the one in Cumbria first week in august. We've been to the ones in Holland before and they are just as good. The prices are a bit high in this country but when I add up what we spend in things to entertain 3 teenage boys just the thought of sending them off to the pool at any time for free is worth it. The only down point I have is that activites in Holland cost in Euros what they cost in ounds here, more or less, which is really weird.

We went to Elveden Forest christmas before last and the prices were ok. But it was 2 weeks before christmas so the price for accom drops. We also joined forces and stayed in two 3 bed chalets there were 8 of us and 2 children and it worked out at £200 per couple for a long 4 day weekend.

Restaurants were the normal price and so is the onsite supermarket. Very easy to visit off site. And easy to cook inside as the chalets are suitably equipped.

We went made and booked activities before hand and booked one for each day, and actually felt we had overdone it. The activities I thought were quite reasonably priced (except the spa - but this is luxury), and you could choose what to do and what not to do, and mix the cost of the activities.

We had a fantastic family quality weekend, took our bikes and 'chilled out' whilst having fun.

Would definately recommend having the 'super plus' accom (i think that what it was called), rather than the basic, particular if you have multiple couple and this provides en-suites for the couples.

We have booked to go again this christmas and am looking forward to it ... it is also much cheaper than EuroDisney Paris - which was the other option :D