hils78

Chick very floppy---help-shocking update

I lost my Silkie Slayer recently & I've come down this morning to a nearly dead 7 week old frizzle. Her friend is beside herself. I'm getting worried because this doesn't seem like a coincidence - do you think I have a disease here? My boss (I work at a vet) doesn't have a clue about chickens so a fat lot of use he is. All sense has gone out of the window now - I can't think what to do.....

Edited by Guest

I;m so sorry to hear about your girls.

Have you checked for signs of redmite or lice? Have the girls been wormed? Parasites are the most common cause of this sort of problem, the loss of blood makes the hens anaemic and very listless.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

She gone. Man that was horrible.

I've checked her all over for signs of mite & lice etc but her skin is as clean as a whistle. If I had the money I would have a post mortem done. Anyway I'm off to sterilise the coup and hope & pray that I've just had a run of bad luck & its nothing sinister.

Ok I'm a vet nurse & have held MANY MANY animals when they've died. I've told you what happened yesterday - she was gone all except a tiny nerve twitch in her toe. She took one last gulp of air & I felt her heart stop. Her head was limp hanging next to her body.

So I go about moving all the other chickens etc into a makeshift arrangement in the shed in order to sterilise the coup just in case I have a nasty bug. I swept out all the bedding etc & due to child commitments & an incredibly full dust bin that won't be emptied for another week I put deceased chick in a box in the 'soon to be sterilised' coup ready for me to dispose of today. So I get up this morning & go out to check on the chooks in the shed & I hear cheeping from the empty box near the door. I thought I must still be asleep......I opened up the box & sat bolt upright was Frizzle chick. Now I did a mixture of swearing, crying & oh my goding (dd5 heard the lot :oops: ).

So I grab her & vow dd won't go to school if I need to spend every minute of the day resurrecting this little chick. I thought she needs some fluids & gluecose immediately - the only thing I had in was the dregs of a lucozade bottle which I mixed with water & syringed it to her along with some watered down chick crumb. She's now walking round happy as larry - albeit a bit wobbly but eating & drinking by herself.

I didn't want to post this because I thought you would all think I have lost it. But my neighbour saw the 'dead' chicken yesterday too so I have an alebi.

What I didn't tell you is that I did do some Reiki on her whilst she was dieing :oops: wonder if it helped........I now have a rather large G&T to steady my nerves. I think this chic should be called Jesus.

edited for spelling mistake

I am in shock & keep shaking - even the most traumatic operations at work don't get me like this. I've decided to call the Chick Phoenix - risen from the ashes. Mum pointed out to me that Jesus only lived for 3 days after being resurrected :shock:

:shock: well that's amazing. I'm not surprised you're in shock!

Good news. She must be one tough chicken! If it was anyone else I'd assume they'd just made a mistake, but as you say, you're a vet nurse and have seen lots of animals die.

Phew - presumably that also means you don't need to worry about the other chooks catching anything.

She's not even wobbling now. Not as manic as usual but she's fine!

I am wondering if she had some kind of heat stroke resulting in de-hydration. It was really hot on Sunday - can't imagine what its like wearing a feather duvet in the sun. I am just feeling really really lucky (and still shocked). I am questioning my sanity though - how could I have thought she was dead when 24 hours later she's right as rain?

Maybe a cool night did her good. My animal rescue Karma probably just came back to thank me!

I am in shock & keep shaking - even the most traumatic operations at work don't get me like this. I've decided to call the Chick Phoenix - risen from the ashes. Mum pointed out to me that Jesus only lived for 3 days after being resurrected :shock:

Lazarus might be more appropriate then

;)

Wow, how amazing!!!

Your mum is wrong about Jesus though - the 3 days is the time between the crucifixion and the resurrection - Fri-Sun. It is then 40 days to Ascension Day when he was taken up into heaven. But it's not like he re-died. So watch out for your chicky taking to the skies in about 5 weeks! :D

I'm not up on the Bible :oops: lol. So whats the story of Lazarus? (in a nutshell!).

She is running around now as if nothing had happened. The word has got round the street & people are saying "The miracle on **** Street" (don't want to put my street name!).