Boris70

Rats - help

Hello,

Not been on the forum for what seems liks an age, building work and baby keeping me very very occupied, and now it appears rats.

After the rats getting a bit brazen about living near hte girls, and spending more time in the feeder and eating more food than the girls - I have decided it's war.

I bought 2 human traps, and set these up overnight, we remove the food, and leave the trap in the same position - after abit of tweaking we caught what we thought was our only rat (how naive!), about 5 days latter, and my kind builders dealt with it while I was out.

Now ratty's little friend has arrived, after a week of setting the trap again, no joy, this rat is clever, and eats the bread from the hook, so not setting it off. We tried cheese and turkey last night, but it didn't touch it.

So poison and walk in traps it is - any recommendations please? Must be animal/ child friendly. And where do you set them?

My rats seems to ignore anything that isn't where the layers mash is - are the poison ones safe to set in the chicken house?

lots of questions, hopefully someone will know the answers??

I bought 2 human traps, and set these up overnight...

Sorry Boris, not sure why you want child/pet-proof traps when you're setting human ones :lol::lol:

I've had problems with rats too and am waiting for a delivery of the eradibait - looks good in principle.

I bought 2 human traps, and set these up overnight...

Sorry Boris, not sure why you want child/pet-proof traps when you're setting human ones :lol::lol:

Whoops - maybe that should say "Humane" :D:D

:lol::lol:

Can't offer advice but I hope you get rid of them.

Right - I've given up with the humane traps - after catching two of the little blighters, and the dog letting one out before we could deal with it (OH was not happy), I'm definitely gettting bait boxes.

Any idea where I can get them online with not much postage costs - all seem ridicuously high from where I've googled?

We had a huge rat running out from the summerhouse under the Eglu and into the run grabbing some food and running back again over and over one night, setting of the security light constantly. We got up and let both cats out who are normally in at night and then the next morning remembered that our sonic rat repeller had been unplugged since our daughters had plugged in their very noisy rock tumbler machine in the summerhouse.

We didn't think that the rat repeller worked but then we realised that for all of the time that it was plugged in the rat had disappeared and since it has been plugged in again it has not come back. I think OH got it from Maplins

We shoot ours with vermin pellets in an airifle with a scope.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry to those I'm about to offend but we have traditional traps set inside a covered brick enclosure with a tiny entrance and the rats just can't resist. They love dark places and once they're in, they're not coming out again. You just have to ensure that the entrance isn't big enough to allow a hedgepig in. We have these traps set on a permanent basis around the place as once they've tasted the high life of regular food and water meant for the chooks, they never leave but bring friends and family instead. Removal of object once trap has sprung is okay as long as you don't leave it for a few day without checking, then it becomes VERY unpleasant. Rather that than sick kids and animals any day.

Or, like Rhapsody, we shoot 'em. :lol::lol:

The only thing in favour of humane traps is that you can release any other creature accidentally caught.

Legally speaking you are not supposed release trapped vermin back into the wild.

When live catch traps are used, you are supposed to kill the rat (or fox) with either a clean blow to the head (not easy) or a shotgun.

If you try to release them, you face the very real danger of being badly bitten by a bacteria ridden animal and could become very ill as a result.

Use normal traps or bait boxes....it is far easier. Most of us in an urban setting are unlikely to have firearms.

I think "Goctha" do big rat snap traps. I saw some at an animal feed shop I went to last week. I also have an old ex-council rat bait box if I need it (council forgot to collect it and now charge about £40 for the service).

I think they like peanut butter too - and it also sticks in place!

releasing a rat caught humanely just means it will probably come back again for more free food and a room for the night!

I recommend the old-fashioned spring trap, which you can get in any old-fashioned hardware shop. They are cheap, and can be used again and again.

Two warnings:

(1) Put them where birds and other animals won't get caught, e.g. inside compost heaps with lids, or in sheds which you know rats have invaded. (You could put them in the hens' run at night with the hens shut in, but this is obviously very risky if you are at all dozy in the morning.)

(2) Be very careful setting the trap: it springs easily, and could break your fingers (it is much more powerful than a mouse-trap, though exactly the same design). Use a stick if you are not sure whether it has sprung or not and you need to move it.

I think poison should be used only in situations where it is impossible to set a trap. The excessive use of poison means that a new super-rat which is immune to the poison has evolved.

We've had problems with mister rat who avoided the spring-based traps (use gloves, they can smell you!) and were in the process of putting down poison. Yesterday though, DS found said rat by the side of the chicken run minus its' head. No blood, so very confused as to what got it but whatever it was has done the trick.... :shock:

Maybe the chickens gave him what for when trying to poke his head through the run mesh.

Good for them.

That's was my first thought! But hubby said there was no blood or evidence anywhere else of a head. It's got me all confuddled! :lol:

we use this stuff...

3289_2007718111548.jpg

it's called Roban Rat/mouse poison Pasta Bait

because we knew where the holes where it as quite simple in the end.

it/they made 3 run holes so I blocked 2 and dug a small hollow next to the 3rd, about 6" square by 4" deep

I put the bait in the hollow and covered the whole thing with a small 1/2 log, leaving enough room for the rat to get in and out so as not to spook it too much

4 days later the 1st Roban t-bag disappeared, so I put another one in, when that went I did it again and again... 5 Roban t-bags and 2 days later and we haven't seen a rat sinse

good luck