wenhen

Gapeworm - anything I can do while waiting for Flubenvet ...

Title says it all really, as per my other post in the main section I think that one of our new hens might have Gapeworm (coughing and shaking head), so have ordered some Flubenvet which should be with me tomorrow at earliest.

Is there anything else that I can do for her before this arrives? Have been reading how it can make them deteriorate really quickly. :(

Thanks

Im sorry to hear your chookie is unwell.

The best advice i can offer is to keep her hydrated and offer her a little of her favourite food.

When the Flubenvet arrives it may be wise to dose her right away by mixing a very tiny amount in water and using a syringe to give her a 'direct hit'

We only got them at the weekend so still working out what they like - raisins seems to be a winner so will fill her up with those and corn tonight.

Syringe is a good idea, will keep that in mind if she starts to look any worse.

Also should give the breeder a call as she has been doing this since we got her.

Thank you.

When Mavis had gapeworm as well as a double dose of flubenvet the vet recommended a high humidity as this will encourage coughing and help chook to shift the gapeworm.

Mavis moved into the bathroom and I kept running the shower to keep the room really steamy. In two and a half days she was well enough to go back with the others, though I kept up the double dose of flubenvet for a week as advised.

Nicola.

Don't forget....the dose for gapeworm is double the normal dose, and consequently there is an egg withdrawal period for the length of the treatment and for one week after.

Head shaking can also be caused by ear mites. Too small to see. Something like Xeno 200 will sort them out.