hillfamily Posted September 10, 2008 Share Posted September 10, 2008 Any chance the dust bunnies in my lounge might get sucked into the black hole Nope..........ok I'll get on with the hoovering then DS is very interested - he's studying maths and physics so he understands what they are talking about Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seagazer Posted September 10, 2008 Share Posted September 10, 2008 I was about to go out and collect my eggs....perhaps I'll wait until 11.31, would hate to waste the energy if it's not worth it..... That made me do a rather unattractive snort Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Geoid Posted September 10, 2008 Share Posted September 10, 2008 In this mornings TheLondonPaper, a scientist said 'anyone who thinks this is going to end the world is a T**T' Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted September 10, 2008 Share Posted September 10, 2008 If you want to see a black hole in action.....come and look at my sons bedroom. It swallows things all the time....cereal bowls, cups, my laptop , his brothers clothes/shoes.....you name it. And it cost nowhere near £5 billion. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted September 10, 2008 Share Posted September 10, 2008 If you want to see a black hole in action.....come and look at my sons bedroom. It swallows things all the time....cereal bowls, cups, my laptop , his brothers clothes/shoes.....you name it. And it cost nowhere near £5 billion. You got a bargain there then! Box his ears from me Rosie's room is fast getting there too Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted September 10, 2008 Share Posted September 10, 2008 Box his ears from me Consider it done. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Minnie the Moocher Posted September 10, 2008 Author Share Posted September 10, 2008 My daughter has a tent up in her bedroom at the moment (don't ask) and currently has a friend round to play I would like a black hole under the rug into which I could sweep all the detritus at bedtime please I'll give you Spoonful of Sugar, Mary Poppins Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mumpty Posted September 10, 2008 Share Posted September 10, 2008 It's been postponed until 11.30 apparently.......... Yes, my son told me this too. Watch this space! I have to say, I think it's a huge waste of money we don't have, do we really need to know where we came from? Can't we just accept that we are here and use the money to sort out more important issues, what about all those poor people who have flood damaged homes and some haven't even been back since last years floods! and then there's the rest of the third world and their problems, couldn't we help them? and charities all over the world? I'm running away with myself here, sorry. I just think £5bn is a lot of money to fling molecules about! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
keyhole kate Posted September 10, 2008 Share Posted September 10, 2008 Having read this thread all the way through Can I just say a huge thank you to all who participated especially Eglutine have every sympathy as have had 4 like that I was choking with laughter so much my Oh came to find out if I had flipped out! Absolutely priceless Kitty Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted September 10, 2008 Share Posted September 10, 2008 I'll reluctantly admit to being a size 14.....but size 50 is a bit harsh! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jlo Posted September 10, 2008 Share Posted September 10, 2008 Had to spend a long time reassuring DD last night that the world was not about to end! I don't think that she really believed it but she did seem quite relieved to get home from school and find the world still around. I did hear on the radio that it was just being switched on today and the actual experiment is not taking place until October - I am keeping that bit of info from her a Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chelsea Posted September 10, 2008 Share Posted September 10, 2008 I'll reluctantly admit to being a size 14.....but size 50 is a bit harsh! that really made me chuckle this thread is funny and i needed a laugh, thanks! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Minnie the Moocher Posted September 10, 2008 Author Share Posted September 10, 2008 See, I told you all it would be fine I have checked myself over and all my, erm, particles appear to be intact Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cooks Posted September 10, 2008 Share Posted September 10, 2008 it's caused a lot of children to be upset, too much info given with not enough explanation for them to understand. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bokbokbok Posted September 10, 2008 Share Posted September 10, 2008 Quote of the Day: DS: Oh - did you hear about the big machine? Me: *raises eyebrow* DS: Seemingly today it was going to make the world stop Me: Really? DS: Did that work then? Me: BLINK It took him a weeeee minute to become embarrassed. . . . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Geoid Posted September 10, 2008 Share Posted September 10, 2008 Im pretty sure it wont destroy the world by a massive black hole. My theory is that the particle they are looking for has a massive mass but little volume, so thats a black hole, but since its soo small it will just suck up other tiny particles and die. (copyright Fred 2008) Also people where having bets on if the world would end, what a stupid idea, if the world did end then how would you get your money?? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted September 10, 2008 Share Posted September 10, 2008 Im pretty sure it wont destroy the world by a massive black hole. My theory is that the particle they are looking for has a massive mass but little volume, so thats a black hole, but since its soo small it will just suck up other tiny particles and die. (copyright Fred 2008) Stephen Hawking had better watch his back! Also people where having bets on if the world would end, what a stupid idea, if the world did end then how would you get your money?? I love it Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted September 11, 2008 Share Posted September 11, 2008 Someone's on a roll this morning.... nice one Fred. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mumpty Posted September 11, 2008 Share Posted September 11, 2008 Nice to see we're all still here then. S'pose I'd better think of something for dinner! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Minnie the Moocher Posted September 11, 2008 Author Share Posted September 11, 2008 I'm not here Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
BarbaraJ Posted September 11, 2008 Share Posted September 11, 2008 Nor me i'm just a figment of your imagination!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Yorkshire Pudding Posted September 11, 2008 Share Posted September 11, 2008 All the kids in DD's class yesterday, who'd obviously been listening to every scare story, were going on about the world ending and getting sucked into a black hole and DD ended up in tears. I ended up going on Wiki and showing her that it was all going to be okay and got her interested in the science of it instead. Honestly, i wish people would better inform their children instead of just telling them every story they read. I spent much of the day consoling distraught kids at school. Many of ours have learning difficulties so understanding any more of it than 'we're all going to die' was very hard for them. All the fuss about it in the media hadn't helped. OH (scientist) was very cross about how science has been portrayed as a load of inhuman types doing irrelevant experiments and not having any thought for the possible consequences. As if the thing would have been built in the first place if it was likely to destroy the planet! PS we have two bedroom black holes in this house. Unfortunately they consume everything except dust - they generate dust in HUGE amounts..... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...