We didn't have snow yesterday afternoon as a lot of people did, so locked the chickens up as normal. However it snowed later.Others had already said that they had covered the Eglu witha blanket but we didn't as the Eglu is designed to keep warm in cold weather.

This morning, the slushy snow had frozen and although the chickens were nice and cosy, the locking handle had frozen shut and had to be defrosted with hot water. How I wish we'd covered with a blanket.

Lesley

Ha! Ha! Be prepared :wink: ! We had a good inch of snow last night and we went out and covered the Eglu as soon as it started falling so it was a doddle to open both the eggport and the pop hole this morning! I remembered to bring the water feeder in last night too - I had visions of being unable to get the top off it to fill it if I hadn't!

However, Jenny and Clarry don't know what to make of the snow. Jenny can't seem to find the grass anymore! She knows where she left it, but someone's stolen it :shock: !

Lots of vaseline on combs today. Poor girls :(

I can highly recommend covering the Eglu with something - at least an old towel - when snow/bad frost are forecast because we wouldn't have been able to let the girls out this morning if we hadn't done this. The car doors were frozen shut :shock:

PS - see photo in Kate's Album in the gallery of my "Eglu (green eglu) Igloo" :wink:

Mine were dancing round in the snow last night - they looked sodden but were obviously happy underneath.

We moved the Eglu onto the pation with bark last night; the egg door froze. They think its a bit strange but are happily scratching in it. I will have to find some greens they like as they turned their beaks up at lettuce and cabbage.

Nicki

I found Glycerine at the chemists and added a couple of drops to the water which did stop it freezing and didn't stop the chickens drinking it. I also put a bit (although olive oil or vaseline was also suggested) around the egg port and door which also stopped freezing. I haven't found a blanket yet to cover it with or bought the vaseline home to treat combs. All my frinds with chooks are suffering a go slow on the egg laying front but we are still getting 2 every day

Nicki (green eglu)

Memories of long cold winters in Warwickshire with wooden hen houses - the trick to freeing an iced up door was to kick it! The preventive measures sound well worth doing but for those who get caught out I would try a refined banging on the door/port to break ice seal or gentle kick with designer welly boots. Paul Smith's cool stripey ones should do the trick nicely. 8) No I don't yet own a pair but Christmas approaches.... :lol: That's the fun aspect to urban chickens and designer eglus - I really need the proper gear to match :wink:

We've ordered the winter shade (the long extended one). Since there is a gap between the winter shade and the eglu we drape the summer shade over the gap, with the pointed end towards the back and it works quite nicely to keep the handles clear and thawed. We've had 19 feet of snow fall this winter so far and the most trouble we've had is keeping the eglu dug out. :D

No, we've decided to put the incubator in the shed for now. The disappointment of the whole family was just unbearable to have to go through again. The kids were very distraught. Someone made mention about us being at altitude, 8000 feet or so here in Colorado. That might be a big part of our problem with the zero hatch rate.

I'm so glad to hear you like the blog. We're going with live chicks this time arriving next week! 25 of them! Everyone is so excited, but it'd so cold here I hope they'll be all right in the mail/post truck. Wish us luck. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for such a warm welcome. I was so suprised tonight to see I was on the us page! I was searching around us and the uk page to see if I could get some info whether the cube would be making it's way westward and saw my blog. It's great to hear people actually check it out. And now I've come across the forum! I'm so excited to see so many eglu owners! I've been reading now for over an hour and I just found the gallery, fantastic! It's 1:30am and I should go to bed but I'm hooked. :lol: