piggyonemoon

Sloe Gin

The sloes round here are not quite ready yet, a touch on the green side still and they won't come off the bushes!

I picked a pound of wild plums this morning though, not sure if they are damsons as they are edible, not bitter, and I know plums cross pollinate easily, so I will pickle them in gin and see what we get 8)

Why do you always pick me up ( not literally ) on my drinking, Lesley. :shock::oops::lol: . Both Sainsbury and Tesco do a 70cl £6.18 bottle of basic/value gin ..... I have checked this on the computer from the floor of my home study .... 8):lol::wink: .

Anyway - unless duty free, or supermarket abroad bought, I still think this is the cheapest, unless anyone can give me a cheaper deal. Have 2 lots of sloe's and poss Damsons this year. Already checked the shot glass supply - for the final boys football match before 25th DEC, somehow everyone is waiting for my Sloe Gin :roll::wink::D

Dancing Gal - our friend has a Damson tree in her garden (just picked 5lbs :oops:) she made the Delia's indian spiced chutney last year and it is absolutely divine. The best i have ever tasted Lovely with poppadoms/bread/crackers/cheese!

She added slightly more vinegar as the first batch was a bit soild.

We have just got another jar from her! :D

Hee hee found a Sloe bush (tree?plant?) in our cross-country field so immediately came to this thread to find out what to do with them (how did I ever survive before Omlet?) will be making Sloe Gin and Blackberry Vodka this weekend.

Any Omleteers nearby feel free to come over and pick your own....

Today is exactly one year since we moved into our country cottage, so Richard and I went for a walk this afternoon and picked loads of lovely blackberries and sloes to celebrate! Just want to ask a (probably silly) question about making sloe gin - do we need to sterilise the bottles?

Thanks!

I put the Sloe Gin straight back into the Gin bottles,so didn't bother doing anything to sterlise them :roll:

That reminds me that I really must check on its progress.

The crab apple vodka I made was heaven, as was the raspberry vodka, which I have had to make a second batch of to keep up with demand :lol:

We tried this with blackcurrants and vodka last year , it was the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted :vom:

Will stick to sloe's in furure.

We have used both sloe's and damsons one gives a more almondy tate than the other. The first one we ever made is still the best and we can't seem to recapture that taste. :?

We give it to our neighbour who is YD's godmother and she loves it we even have bottled labels specially for her, we know when she has run out because the empties arrive in a pretty carrier bag tied to our front door. :lol: