geesus1

eglu coming on Tuesday- what else do i need

I get my grit from my local feed merchant. I've only ever bought the one bag and it was very cheap, about £5 for enough to last almost 18 months!. Have you decided what to do with the run area yet? Straw is better than hay as I think there can be problems with then eating hay and it being to fibreous to get broken down in the crop. I just get the stuff from the local pet shop, I guess dust extracted stuff is the best but I always forget to check.

Just being nosey what colour Eglu did you go for?

green eglu

re- where putting- going for grass first with by what looks like the ideological idea of moving it about, our lawn is no means prestine- and i am not bothered that half of it will be in bad shape, if it all goes wrong- i quite like the chicken wire under the run idea- we'll see

Have you got Omlet chickens coming on Tuesday too? If you have, I guess you'll get some feed with them. If not - you'll need some chicken food. Growers or layers, depending on chickens age, and pellets or mash depending on preference.

In due course you'll need other things too, but foods pretty important for day 1! (And water of course!)

If they're young chickens you may not even need to line the nest yet (some people never do), and newspaper is fine for the poo tray. So straw isn't essential.

I did nothing the day my girls arrived! Just sat in the garden and watched them......which is what I've been doing since! Had mine 10 days now and love them to bits - even though we're still making friends. Hope you have fun, and if you need any advice this is the place to get it!

Something that is very handy is the snack/treat.

June and Audrey loved their run on the first day we got them, but they were a bit confused at bedtime (they'll want to go bedbyes when the light starts to go, about 9.15ish here) and they just stood around not knowing what to do. Of course, they'd never slept in an Eglu before, so didn't realise that that's where their bed was. We used some sultanas to entice them in. I put my hand through the egg port and put a couple just inside the door of the eglu. This did the trick. You could use raisins/sultanas, sweetcorn, a bit of cooked pasta etc, if you have the same problem.

They soon got the hang of it and went straight in on the second night.

These days they take themselves of to bed at the right time, even when we have friends over for BBQs with music and all the outdoor lighting on.