redhotchick Posted November 5, 2008 Share Posted November 5, 2008 How many of us are so relieved that Sarah Palin won't be vice president? I know I am Yes, me too. I hope this result makes people a bit more optomistic and gives the world economies a boost. Was it his granny in Kenya who died? I heard her on the radio the other day. How sad. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted November 5, 2008 Share Posted November 5, 2008 Was it his granny in Kenya who died? I heard her on the radio the other day. How sad. No, it was the one in Hawaii. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted November 5, 2008 Share Posted November 5, 2008 And me Cinnamon. It's certainly a step in the right direction; I just hope that Obama will follow through and not prove to be yet another politician who is 'all mouth and no trousers'. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted November 5, 2008 Share Posted November 5, 2008 It's certainly a step in the right direction; I just hope that Obama will follow through and not prove to be yet another politician who is 'all mouth and no trousers'. Aaah I'm glad someone said it. I can't understand what all the fuss is about. The celebrations should be if and when he delivers. At the moment he just looks like another politician who talks a good game. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted November 5, 2008 Share Posted November 5, 2008 Call me jaded Pengy (I grew up with a dad who knew a lot of politicians) but they (almost) all tell fibs to get where they want I got so sick of it years ago that I decided not to vote; I didn't want to encourage all the lies. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
AnnieP Posted November 5, 2008 Share Posted November 5, 2008 I think its fantastic. Finally some good news amidst all the doom and gloom. Lets hope he can get on with the job of leading America. If I were an American, today I would be proud. Tell you what though, I wouldn't want to be him for anything, would you? What a responsibility with the whole world now watching, expecting great things. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted November 5, 2008 Share Posted November 5, 2008 Their lives will now change beyond recognition There is talk of extra security because of racist threats... poor guy, why can't they just leave him to get on with his job? I am hoping that he's a politician with integrity, but shan't hold my breath. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted November 5, 2008 Share Posted November 5, 2008 The good thing (so far) to have come out of this election is that America got off it's backside and voted. Rare in any country in this day and age. For all the people who complained about the previous elections but didnt' even bother to vote at least this result is a victory for democracy. It would be marvellous if the same thing would happen here but then again we didn't get the opportunity to vote for our leader and "Ooops, word censored!"ody had to die for him to get the job. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tessa the Duchess Posted November 5, 2008 Share Posted November 5, 2008 The good thing (so far) to have come out of this election is that America got off it's backside and voted. Rare in any country in this day and age. For all the people who complained about the previous elections but didnt' even bother to vote at least this result is a victory for democracy. Absolutely agree Pengy. Anyone who lives in a democracy should vote, and if they don't then they have no cause to moan about who gets elected. There are so many countries run by dictators and other countries who live under opressive regimes where if you so much as criticise the system you can be thrown in jail or worse. We are priviliged. I also don't trust polititicians, and to be honest I think if you attain a position of power within any system you are 'probably' not that nice a person or at least someone who is prepared to trample others to realise your ambitions. American politics is much more about personalities than policies, which is the reverse to how it works in the UK. Tessa Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Fizzle Knit Posted November 5, 2008 Share Posted November 5, 2008 I think the world is a slightly safer place now - at least I hope so. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
laurmurf Posted November 5, 2008 Share Posted November 5, 2008 Presidant Barak Obama, Mr. Presidant......Quite a fabulous sound. I'm sitting here crying tears of joy. Our country has FINALLY done something right. Change is in the air and I can't explain in words how thrilled I am for Presidant Obama and for the US I've been in tears all day! I am so proud of what American citizens achieved for themselves and the rest of the world, Angels4 - i share your joy! The say that cynicism is idealism that's been disappointed: I'm putting aside my cynicism now and giving that good man every bit of support I can, even from this distance. His election has proven many things about America - all of them good! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Emma Tarpey Posted November 5, 2008 Share Posted November 5, 2008 As it said on the radio it's going to be hard for him to make the same speeches as George Bush. i get a good vibe about him though Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
KimmyCustard Posted November 5, 2008 Share Posted November 5, 2008 I agree with all the above, politics not being my strong point in life but I bet the Obama girls are ecstatic, their Dad has promised them a new puppy to take into the White House! Wonder if we could all lobby him to include an Eglu and some chooks?! Kimmy x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted November 5, 2008 Share Posted November 5, 2008 As it said on the radio it's going to be hard for him to make the same speeches as George Bush. That's a relief. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted November 5, 2008 Share Posted November 5, 2008 I agree with all the above, politics not being my strong point in life but I bet the Obama girls are ecstatic, their Dad has promised them a new puppy to take into the White House! Wonder if we could all lobby him to include an Eglu and some chooks?! Kimmy x They can have mine - the flipping fireworks have been driving the poor lass demented tonight Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tessa the Duchess Posted November 6, 2008 Share Posted November 6, 2008 We have a friend from the States staying with us at the moment, and he was high over the Atlantic when the pilot announced over the speaker that Obama had won. My friend was sitting in Business class and he said that there were huge cheers from the people in steerage, total silence from First class and he was the only person in Business class who cheered along with all the others Says it all really Tessa Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cathybc Posted November 7, 2008 Share Posted November 7, 2008 I am not really into politics (whoever you vote for, the PM/president will get in!) but I feel a huge sense of optimism, I too even stayed up to watch it. I was on holiday in Florida in 2000 when Bush was voted (?!) in, the feeling this time is much more positive. Jesse Jackson had me in tears too. And the other thing that moved me was the number of people voting, even queuing for hours. Makes us Brits look really apathetic in our turnout. Am really looking forward to Barack taking over.... ps just wanted to say that I though McCain was a proper gracious gentleman in his speech. Apart from the boos from some of his supporters, a good all round event Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mutrix Farmers Posted November 7, 2008 Share Posted November 7, 2008 As it said on the radio it's going to be hard for him to make the same speeches as George Bush. That's a relief. No-one could make the same speeches as Mr Bush, particularly someone educated and articulate. I hope he makes a difference, only time will tell! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Paola Posted November 7, 2008 Share Posted November 7, 2008 As it said on the radio it's going to be hard for him to make the same speeches as George Bush. That's a relief. No-one could make the same speeches as Mr Bush, particularly someone educated and articulate. I hope he makes a difference, only time will tell! I agree Mutrix As the likes of Al Gore (sp?) are wanting to come on board with Obama, to name a few, I feel that it can only be a positive step for the Americans and in turn it will filter over here. I am watching this space with excitement. I am just sooo very thankful that there are no more Bushes Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...