Minnie the Moocher

Bright green poop

Well, I called the breeder to order some wormer, described the symptoms and he knew straight away that it is secondary poisoning - most likely slug pellets. The bright green poop is a giveaway apparently.

I told him that we do not use slug pellets AT ALL in the garden, but he said a piece of poisoned mouse or rat from a neighbour's garden dropped by a crow (and we have plenty of those) would be enough. And this particular hen would be just the one to grab a morsel like that and run with it.

Time will eventually flush the toxin from her system, and the more water she takes on board the quicker it will resolve itself. I'm off to spoon some water into her beak right now, just to make sure.

Thought you might like to know...

BRIGHT GREEN POOP = POISONING.

was just doing a search for "bright green" droppings and stumbled on this post. Fatima, who has always been the greediest chicken, has developed very runny poos the last cple of days and now they are bright green, like this colour.

We've started them all on flubenvet today, they were last wormed at the end of November. She's still eating and drinking and acting normally, apart from yesterday when she spent a cple of hours in the nest box. Very unlike her as she stopped laying ages ago. When I opened the nest box to check on her, she crouched when I went to touch her then stood up and started doing that nesting thing where they pick bits up and put them on their backs. She didn't lay an egg though.

Her crop doesn't seen abnormal and I don't think she could have eaten anything poisonous although I couldn't say for certain as who knows if a poisoned mouse sneaked into the garden to die and got eaten :?

I guess we'll just carry on treating them for worms and keep a close eye on her. Minnie, did you ever find out what was wrong with your girl and did she recover?

Hello Poet

No, I'm afraid she didn't make it. I syringed water into her beak and kept a close eye on her, but she stopped eating and became too weak.

She was my greediest girl, and if a poisoned mouse crept in (or was dropped in by a crow) she would have been the first on the scene to snaffle it and run into a corner to devour it.

Sorry it's not good news Poet and hope your girl recovers.

oh gosh, sorry to hear that Minnie. Well, I guess all I can do is monitor her closely and take her to the vets if there's no improvement :? I gave them probiotic yoghurt yesterday and Monday to see if that would help her runny bottom and we started worming them today when I noticed green poo on her vent yesterday.

I read somewhere else that bright green poo means she isn't digesting food properly and it's bile coming out in the poo. I'll check her weight tomorrow.

she's definitely not got any of those symptoms thank goodness.

If they have worms, would they have an increase of bile in their poo? I'm assuming so because they wouldn't be absorbing as much food would they?

She does seem a little better today (day 2 of worming) and DH said there was no bright green poo in the poo tray today and she's scoffing everything in sight (as usual!). he said she also doesn't seem to be on the thin side and her crop felt fine :think:

I can only imagine it's worm related?

will let you know how she gets on anyway, in case it helps anyone else.

Found this re rat bait.

don't know about slug pellets, but last year I had rats under the hens shed, and they scratched rat bait into the run. We'd put it down into their holes and the little blighters scratched it back out again. I wasn't sure if my girls had eaten any, so asked for advice on our forum (our Chicky Bible), and was advised to give my girls peanuts, as they were an antidote for rat poison. My girls were all okay, so it may have been the peanuts, if they had eaten any of the rat bait.

and this

If it is a slug pellet containing metaldehyde which most do then I'm afraid the chances of her surviving are not good. The book by Victoria Roberts (PCGB vet) simply states that they kill poultry

BUT - could it be that she has actually eaten rat bait? Most of those are coloured blue using the same dye as slug pellets. Chickens are fairly resistant to blood-thinning rat baits but you could always try feeding plenty of vitamin K which is found in maize/sweetcorn as this is the antidote to warfarin etc. Perhaps to try her with some tinned sweetcorn (salt/sugar free)?

Best to check with a vet though

Not sure if this is related but a year last Christmas one of our columbines died. She had been passing very green droppings but I put this down to her trying to lay a green egg. She never did lay us an egg before she died. Now i am wondering if she was poisened although we don't use slug pellets either.

an update on Fatima...

she seemed to perk up once we started worming them, we did it via the grape method, 1/2 a grape dipped into flubenvet. The course finished on Tuesday but yesterday and today she was lethargic, slow to come out of the cube, doing runny poos (although not bright green this time) and today she was just standing around or sitting with her eyes shut and not showing a great deal of interest in eating or drinking.

She had some probiotic yoghurt yesterday but doesn't seem to have much difference.

I took her to the vets this morning and they've taken a poo sample to check for worm eggs, they gave her a baytril injection and gave us a 6 day baytril tablet course to give her starting tomorrow and also a jar of avipro. They said approx 1 tsp of avipro powder per 200ml of water so I've just mixed that up and put it in their coop cup and popped her back in with her friends.

We shall see how she goes, fingers x'd! :?

the vet's examined the droppings sample and there's no sign of worm eggs in it apparently. Let's hope the baytril injection perks her up tomorrow as she's still looking poorly :anxious:

I have a Silkie X who had bright green droppings a few months ago - think fluorescent! I got the vet to send off samples for analysis and they found

absolutely nothing!

There were no other symptoms and Tweetie is still going strong now .... fingers crossed and touching wood!!

awww, thanks guys :)

sandy, the vet didn't take her temperature. She had a feel of her crop and gave her a visual check over and listened to my synopsis of her symptoms oh yes, she listened to her chest and her heart too.

I guess antibiotics is always a first port of call if there's nothing else obviously wrong :think:

good luck wth your girl too xxx