The Dogmother

Poorly cat

My older cat Millie was acting a bit strange this evening - just lying on the lawn and not going for me in her normal sadistic way. When she got up to walk away, I could see that one of her front legs looked as if it was broken just above the paw. I felt all over that leg and compared it with the other one and couldn't find a break.

Luckily Phil was in and came down to babysit Rosie while I got the cat to the emergency vet. He doesn't think it is broken either, has given her painkillers and sedated her. Millie is now complaining loudly at being confined to the bunny 'playpen' so that she can't move too much. She is very woozy, but has everything that she needs in there, lets hope that she settles for the night and doesn't carry on yowling and trying to lurch around :roll:

Poor love had me worried there, but we shall have to see how she goes. I don't have any liquid Arnica, but will crush up a tablet in her food in the morning.

Edited by Guest

Sorry to hear about your cat. :(

Could it be soft tissue damage?? :?

The way you describe your cat - 'lurching and yowling' sounds just like Poppy Bear when she pulled her ligaments. Poppy now swims as part of her treatment - i fear you may struggle to get a cat to swim :shock:

Lots of rest & much TLC required me thinks :wink:

Thanks for posting that Buffie XX

Amd thank you to the rest of you for your thoughts.

Didn't get a lot of sleep last night, and what we thought was wooziness and lack of coordination from the painkillers now looks like she has had a stroke. I have taken her to the vet and they are keeping her in under observation and for a scan later today.

At the moment things don't look too good - she can't stand or walk and her whole right side is affected. Millie is 11 (I helped her being born) and apart from a heart murmer has been in fine health, so I will be sad if she doesn't make it, but for now I've got everything crossed for her. She really is in the best place now, where she can receive care and any necessary treatment.

I'll keep you updated as I know what is going on.

Just had a call from the vet; they have done a scan and suspect that she has had a massive stroke. She is unlikely to recover from this and I am going to the vet at 3.50pm to discuss what we should do, but I have to say that it doesn't look good right now - she isn't able to move around or go to the toilet.

Will keep you updated.

It may not be as bad as you think Clare :cry: One of my cats had a stroke years ago and he was very poorly for weeks and had to learn to do things again like walking and jumping etc it took a long time and very intensive Phtsio on my part but I got him back to almost 100% fitness :?

He always had a slightly squint head after it but that was the only noticable thing oh and he thought he was human I guess because I literally became mum again :wink:

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I had a bit of a weep when I went home for lunch and she wasn't there :?

At this stage, the vet says that if she makes it through the day, she will need to be sedated for a catheter to be inserted and will need 24/7 nursing care. So not a very sunny picture at the moment - just getting on with work until I have to go to the vet.

Thanks Sarah, I am trying to be hopeful, but after speaking to the vet earlier, I don't think there's a lot of hope :?:cry: He is a great vet and I have every faith in him, but I won't have her suffering if that is the case; there is too much of that in this world as it is and she's had a darned good life. Having said that, I'd really love to be able to bring her home and have her recover :)

Thanks Sarah, I am trying to be hopeful, but after speaking to the vet earlier, I don't think there's a lot of hope :?:cry: He is a great vet and I have every faith in him, but I won't have her suffering if that is the case; there is too much of that in this world as it is and she's had a darned good life. Having said that, I'd really love to be able to bring her home and have her recover :)

Course you would Clare you and the vet will make the right decision. It's hard if you have to say goodbye....I know we did it twice last year. There is still hope though.

Buffster xxx

Thank you all for your thoughts, but Millie had to be put down this afternoon - she was much worse when I went to see her, and couldn't even give me her usual greeting of a hiss.

It was a really hard decision to have to make, but Phil came with me and was very supportive. The vet couldn't give a positive prognosis at all, she wasn't able to eat or drink or wee and breathing was getting hard, so it seemed better to act now while she was relatively in control and able to go with some of her faculties and dignity rather than let her linger and get even worse.

We held her as she drifted away and I talked to her of fields of wildflowers with lots of birds and mice to chase and tuna for supper every day. I bet she's up there now giving Belle, my old lurcher a hard time.

I've just got to tell Rosie now when she gets back from club :cry: