I currently have a (orange eglu) in a walk in run (I am storing the eglu run that came with it) which is lovely and fine for my two girls, however, when I take it out to clean it it is hurting my back in such a way I am in pain! even with taking it apart.

I have a back injury anyways, it's not the eglu doing this, but the lifting and low level are hurting me especially changing the poop try.

I have an option to:-

1. change my hen house to a wooden one

2. make the eglu raised up on a level

3. if I was to find one suitably priced (without the run), a cube as I still want to keep it in the walk in of course.

The idea behind this is the wooden one can be cleaned there in the run and built at a waist level, by carpenter husband. So basically built to help me in all ways.

The eglu could be put on a higher level, but the carrying it out to be cleaned cannot be overcome.

The other is a cube as this is on wheels, the run could be adapted to have larger doors to allow me to wheel it out to be cleaned.

The only thing is I do not know how heavy they are in life to move? would I not be achieving anything?

I would appreciate your advice on this. I know hubby could lift the eglu in and out for me, but sometimes he is not here to do so, and I really want to do MY girls on MY own if that makes sense?

I enjoy cleaning my girls, but dont want to be in pain afterwards.

I never ever thought for one minute I would be thinking of selling my beloved (orange eglu)

Thanks for any advice.

sorry to hear about your back pain... :(

When we had the 2 eglus we had them up on platforms which made them much easier to lift at waist level, I could manage to lift and clean them on my own

DSC00282-1.jpg

We then bought the cube, the cube is sufficient - but I cannot lift or pull the cube out myself which means I have to rely on OH to do it :roll: the cube is much bigger in real life IMO (cumbersome and awkward). I think the cube is better suited on the outside of a walk in run (easier access) rather than have one inside a walk in run and have to drag it out on cleaning day.

I would imagine a cube with attached run is much easier to manouvre, there are no handles etc to move the stand alone cube.

thanks for your comments :) I have been looking at run inspirations all afternoon and at ideas for putting the eglu up like you had in the past.

Its just the eglu is so bulky and awkward to hold, it hurts my back so much. I am sure there must me a solution, there has to be because my girls aren't going anywhere.

I really appreciate any advice anyone has.

yes I guess but then I suppose if I was going to do it like that I might as well do the same with the eglu?? I dont see I would achieve much really with the cube... especially having only two girlies

this is my run just after I finished... it it much the same except for braches etc for the hentertainment etc.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4703&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=150

Are you taking the eglu apart before taking it out of the run or trying to carry it "whole"? The separate parts aren't so heavy and if you did put it on a raised thingy you wouldn't have to bend over so much.

Don't know if that's much help :? .

How often are you cleaning your eglu? Could you relax your regime a little so your back doesn't suffer?

yes I do take it apart the serpate parts are still too heavy for my back, well more the big part :? I jet wash it every few weeks, so it all comes out for a clean, I know others dont do theirs so often but I have always done this. I would say 'hence a bad back', but I've had a niggly back since having my OS. :(

Having looked at the pictures on here all day and speaking with hubby I cant lose anything at all by trying to raise the eglu in the run, this will help with the constant bending to check for eggs and cleaning poop tray/nestbox. I think that has mounted up to ill effect for my back.

He has said he will ALWAYS lift out the eglu for me from now on as he wasn't aware it was hurting my back. (probably me I should have said before now!)

He is going to do adjustments just as soon as he gets the wood, and I will see how that helps, if not then we will think again. It cant hurt but try.

I would hate to lose my beloved (orange eglu) and I really dont need a (cube orange) for space as I only have 2 girlies and dont want anymore than 3 chickens anyway and as adding one more chicken might be a problem I have always avoided getting another and stuck with the two I have, they eat for 6 anyway!.

Thanks for your help.

1.What about putting eglu on table in run as has been suggested and take a wheelbarrow into the run put bits in and wheel it out. Then you lift from waist height to transfer not to carry. :D

2. Or make a eglu table with handle and big wheels so you can wheel it out.

3.or getting carried away now, mount it on an old fashioned pram base.

4. :idea: You could make a little pallet with wheels on each corner to sit the eglu on and sit it on a platform half in and half out of the run with a hatch to wheel the eglu out for cleaning. Then you wouldn't have to lift or bend. Better put brakes on the wheels or they'll fly off the table. :lol:

:D

What about a table with wheels outside the run with the Eglu on so you can pull it away to jet wash it?

How about laying a gravel area outside the run and have a rectangular table with the Eglu on one end outside the run so you can drag the Eglu away from the mesh and along the table for a jet wash and push it back when done?

In both these cases you could have a pop hole inside the run to drop down and cover the resultant gap in the mesh

:lol: thanks Plum & Redwing

I think we have decided to place eglu on a raised table in the run, I like the idea of them having the added security of being in the run just incase.

The carrying of the eglu will be hubby's job from now on. We;ll see how this works and then if it doesn't we'll think again. All carrying of eglu ideas appreciated though, please bear in mind my whole run is surrounded by railway sleepers so wheeling in and out is not a simple option (which was one thing I had forgot about when considering wheeling a cube)

I do like Yolkys run where she has the little eglu door. :) They are all good options. I just have to make sure they 'fit' within/around my run. Like for instance I have a bush which I planted just as we moved in right next to my run and I really dont want to lose it, so that area is ruled out for work. It doesn't leave very many more areas.

it'll work out I just have to try some ideas to see which work I guess.

have a look at the avaries4u website for photos, our run has a door panel at his table height. the door is also hip height which means you open the hatch to close door say goodnight to girlies collect eggs etc. also you can just slide out the pooh tray. the lid removes at table height & comes out of hatch easily. you can seriously clean wiuth bucket of water etc without taking it all out, & perhaps you could then jet wash less frequently. his height whatever it is works really well &I am 5ft 7 if that helps at all :)