jess

Renting a small flat and would love your wisdom!

Well I have finally convinced my boyfriend after nearly five years that we should move out together, there are some new build apartments near me that we are very keen on however this is the first time I will be viewing a prospective property so

Do you have any tips? anything I should ask?

Do you have to move in straight away or could i ask to move in in a months time say? I will be asking them myself but i was wondering if you had any experiences you could share with me, thank you x

If you're moving into a flat, I presume it's leasehold? That means someone else will own the whole building and you'll be charged for maintenance. Find out what that yearly rate is and what it covers. If there is additional work that needs doing at anytime in the communal areas, that cost may be divvied up between all the flats and you'll get an additional charge. As it's new build though, you should be ok!

The only other questions I can think of:

- what the council tax band is

- what fixtures and fittings are included in a new build

- ground rent & maintenance rates

- what are the arrangements for parking

Hope it goes well for you :D

I know it might sound silly but don't forget to check that the place you are viewing actually meets your needs - don't get bowled away by the excitement of your first property together. So for example:

Will you be able to fit your furniture in? Will the 20 flights of stairs be too much for you after a while? Is it close to where you need to be? Does it have space for a washing machine?

Oh and don't let the agent do all the talking and whizz you round too fast, make sure you get a proper look and don't be afraid to ask questions, I've also found it very helpful to have my very talkative mother along as although she sometimes annoys me she keeps the agent tied up while I get to have a proper look around.

edited to add: there are a list of questions here http://living.apartments.com/apartment-basics/signing-an-apartment-lease-questions/ but it is an American website so some of them are irrelevant (such as number 5)

How exciting! I would be very careful re: tennancy agreements, you're often not given much time to read them.

What is/isn't included? How much of a deposit do they need, and what do you have to do to get it all back at the end of the tennancy? How often do they inspect the property? How much notice of an inspection/other access do they give you?

At the moment, property is selling so slowly and prices are falling, so round our way there are lots of things available to rent (owners choosing to let rather than sell). So it's a good time, you don't need to rush into the first thing you see.

Hi

I think I have moved house/flat about eight times in the last eight years and rented a couple of flats.....

The questions I would consider are:

1. Allocated parking?

2. What about guest parking?

3. Is the property managed by the letting agent or the landlord. I have rented both ways and I found it best when I was able to contact the landlord directly if there was a problem but my landlord was very nice. Some can be just interested in your rent cheque and don`t care if the roof if leaking!!

3. Curtains!!!! Does the property come with curtains or would you be expected to buy them yourself? They can be expensive what with poles etc. Also when you move out would you be expected to leave poles etc as otherwise there will be wholes.

4. Can you put pictures/mirrors up?

5. How secure is the block? If there is communial entance is this left open for anyone to wander in or is there an entrance system. Do you really want to be walking up some stairs late at night if the entrance is open to anyone?

6. Are the utilities included within the rent? If not is the water on a metre? If it is NB then it will probably have a combi boiler but ask as one of my flats ONLY had an immersion heater which proved expensive.

7. Bathroom - is there a shower? It depends what you are used to but I always used to turn the shower (ask first) when I viewed a property as I like a strong shower.

8. Deposit - this can be a big initial out lay, sometimes a months rent but it can be 2!!

9. Moving in - it depends on the property - landlords obviously want their properties to be occupied all the time otherwise it costs them money so it is a question that you will need to ask. You can view properties where the current tentant has given notice and will be moving out in X weeks although you will be viewing a property that someone else is living in so it can sometimes be difficult to imagine yourself and your things in there!

10. Furniture - is the flat furnished or not? Some have washing machine, tumble dryer and fridge freezer within the rent, some don`t so ask. I once made the mistake of viewing a property which had no tentants so assumed that the washing machine and fridge were part of the flat only to move in to find that they had belnged to the previous tenant who hadn`t got around to moving them yet.

11. If you do rent a property you will probably be given an inventory. This document will list all the items in the flat room by room as well as any marks on the walls etc before you move in. CHECK THIS CAREFULLY! before you even unpack check the flat against the list and note down any discrepancies. If there are marks/damage that is not listed make a note of it on the inventory, take a picture if you can and let your landlord/agent know immediately, also send them a copy of revised list and pics. If you don`t highlight it now you may not get your deposit back at the end as the landlord may say that you caused the damage,

12. TAKE YOUR MUM!!! I am 27 and although we own are house now, if I had to mov into rented again I would take my mum with me. She is always much mre objective than me!

I am sure there are other points too but that is all I can think of at the moment.

GOOD LUCK and hope you are settled into your new home soon. Keep us posted

x

Thank you to everyone for this invaluable advice. There are things that have been posted here I would never have thought about if you had given me a million years to contemplate it so thank you again.

I am looking in the stockport/manchester area for a place, and the chickens are my mothers so she will keep them here. would love to take them.

anyway the bad news IS that the estate agent called while I was at work and told me the place I liked has been taken off the market. How sad!

:boohoo::doh:

so it is back to searching, I have bookmarked this thread as it is so useful, thank you all again so much for your advice, I love you all x