Redwing

Any Tips on Rehoming a Dog? *Update - Good News!*

I recently inherited an eight year old Yorkshire terrier from my mum who has a mental illness and could no longer cope with three dogs when they started bickering :(

My mum doesn't work so the yorkie was used to company all day and unfortuntely when we are out for any real length of time she howls and crys.

We were unaware of the problem until a neighbour gently pointed it out.

We have discussed doggy day care and pet sitting services but I honestly don't think these are the answers as she is used to someone being around a lot more. My husband works funny shifts so we actually get quite a bit of coverage on time with the dogs during the day but ocassionally we do get the days where it doesnt work out so well but our original dog is used to these and I would stress that they are not left alone for long periods of time.

We have given it a few weeks and it it obvious that although we are very fond of her the situation isn't making any of us happy :(

I have spoken to my mum who says she doesnt trust anyone else with the dog so will have her put down (mentally ill remember :roll: ) so is basically emotionally blackmailing me :(

I would like to find the yorkie a new home but don't know where to start - I am under strict instructions not to send her to a rescue centre. I am going to see if I can find a word of mouth home for her but am at a loss otherwise. I am vaguely thinking that an older couple may be a good idea but am a bit clueless generally

Does anyone have any bright ideas? Try to be gentle with me, I thought I was doing the right thing trying to keep her in the family :(

Sorry for the ramble

Edited by Guest

Our dog goes to Dog creche/doggy day care and loves it! He has a great time going long walks in the company of other dogs and comes home completely exhausted.

Aside from that, what about looking up some tips in puppy training books. The ones that I can remember are leaving a radio or TV on in the house when you are out so that the dog is less aware of being on its own or perhaps leaving a teddy or comfort blanket or old jumper that smells of you in the dogs bed? Some pupy training books also recomend using a dog crate rather than a bed as the dog can feel more secure in a crate!

Hope you find a solution that works.

So kind of you to rehome that little girl *thinking head on* OK some ideas-

Get a DAP diffuser from your vet and use it as instructed, it will release soothing chemicals and for some dogs it is a godsend.

Get her special toys/chews that she only gets when you go out- Kongs are good as you can pack them with cheese and it takes ages for them to get it out. She may be missing the company of the other dogs you mentioned more than you (sorry) so leave her cuddly toys and maybe a warming pad under her bed to simulate her old doggie friend (unless she has palled up with yours already). Remove these when you come home and put away.

Make sure she is well and truly tired when you leave her, a sleeping dog is a quiet dog!

When you come back in do not make a big fuss of her or in her mind you are rewarding the howling, and not behaving as a pack leader. Say hello, do not pat or stroke her until you have sorted yourself out and she is calm.

Always set clear boundaries, make it clear you are in charge and you come first.

I hope you get it sorted, it will take some time but if you are consistent you will win through in the end. If you put her up for adoption with this problem she may be difficult to rehome.

Was that any help?

Rhapsody

Advertise in your vets - mine always has cards up, usually for cats. I don't know much about dogs but I'd have thought a Yorkshire terrier would be a popular pet. Worth popping into all your local vets, not just the one you use.

Alternatively, it may be worth asking at the rescue centre - even though you're not handing the dog over to them, they might be able to help (after all, if you keep it till rehoming you're saving them the cost of keeeping it). Sorry it hasn't worked out.

Thanks, had been looking on and off all day but couldn't get any link to them to work or find tel no, your pm'd link took me straight to it, thanks.

I have managed to find a lady on a dog rescue forum whose parents lost their Yorkie and are looking for another similar sized dog, the parents sound delightful but I think our dog may be too old for them :(

I have also written a card ready to take to the vets for display

Thanks for your suggestions

This is not a decision I make lightly but we have already tried the radio (radio 4!) DAP spray, heat, toys route, I think our little lady just needs real people around her all the time, bless her

you'd be wise to contact the yorkshire terrier rescue.

I was going to say the same.

Also why not pose some questions to The Dogs Trust (not the RSPCA :evil: ) they never put a healthy dog down (I sponsor a dog with them) and they may even offer to rehome your mum's dog or take her on permanently.

Maybe take a look at their website in the FAQ's section. They must come across this situation frequently when elderly owners can no longer look after their pets. :wink:

She has been clingy for 8 years. We have had her three weeks. Rome wasn't built in a day!

I think being a lap dog ocassionally which is kind of nice and being clingy are two different things IMO.

Some people like clingy dogs and rather than confuse everything she has ever known I would rather she went to someone who wanted that from a dog rather than upset her world by trying to change her.

All I want is a good home for her at the end of the day

all my dogs sit on my lap at some time or other, one occasionally across my shoulders as I watch tv but then she's a puppy! :lol: Tasha, I personally think that letting her sit on your lap is reassuring for her at the moment :) , especially if she had not seen your husband all day.

I know you will do the VERY best for her, she looks a wonderful girl I only wish my parents would deicde to have another dog as she could be with them all day everyday. MY Dad wants a dogs, my Mum doesn't want the heartbreak of losing another one, which after losing Poppy recently I can see her point there. Should they change their mind or infact agree :lol: I will let you know.

I was drawn myself to her msyelf, and had this been as my Poppy had left me I would be hot footing to you right now to help you better believe it. :lol::lol: I've had Yorkies all my life and all she needs is some time, which I agree if you are out a lot, is hard to do. ((hugs))

If you need anything just pm ok? xx

No luck with the possible new owners, they had already contacted a rescue centre and had a reply about a dog whilst we were exchanging emails, obviously they went with the first dog they enquired about which is only fair.

Back to the drawing board! I am finding it hard to pin the lady from Yorkshire Terrier Rescue down to speak to her but I have put cards in the vets and pet shop

Fingers crossed!

The vets came up trumps with a lady who lost her Yorkie last year and has been looking for another since.

I have just been round to take our dog to 'meet' them and have come away three hours later without her!

They are a retired couple so have all the time in the world to spend with her who will be living with their other Yorkie who is a lovely dog and obviously well loved and cared for.

I have their phone number and we have the same vet so will be able to find out how she is getting on and they have encouraged me to visit as they are only 4 miles away although I do think it may not be a good thing for her to see me again and get confused.

Perfect all round although I have said that I will go and collect her again if they have any problems at all