cute-chickens

A Fox Got Penny

We've only had them 8 weeks and a fox has got Penny. I am broken hearted. We had a ring-fenced area to protect them but when I went out earlier this evening to close their run and Eglu, Matilda and Maisie were on the top of the run (very distressed) and there were black feathers everywhere outside. Clearly the fox :twisted: had spooked them and Penny had flown over the fence - the feathers were all outside. I thought they were safe! :cry:

:( Firstly, my sympathies to you, how sad.

But, please realise that foxes can easily get through netting, and whether Penny flew over it or not is not a factor. Netting is useful to contain wandering chickens, but, unless electrified is absolutely no barrier to a fox. The most likely scenario would have been for a fox to kill all 3, so the other 2 had a narrow escape if it was a fox. The other most likely thing to happen next, is that a fox will return. I'm really posting this to urge you to protect the pair in the Omlet run, don't leave them unattended outside for 1 minute, unless or until you rig up Foxwatch or electricity.

Of course, my other reason for posting is to offer a big Omlet hug after such a shock. Most of us started out new to this and are learning all the time. So, do read up on the forum for ideas, and enjoy the rest of your chickenkeeping. Do let us know how you get along with Matilda & Maisie, very best wishes,

So sorry to hear this.

It happened to me in May. It is very distressing as you feel so guilty!

Just to back up everything Sheila has said: The fox will now return. It will know there are other chickens. Please do not let them out of the run unless you are there or have electrified the netting. If your girls can jump over the netting, then basically, it is useless. You will need to check that their wings are clipped again.

As regards the fox watch, yes, I think it works, but doesn't take effect for up to a month, so please bear this in mind if you are thinking about getting it.

I now have a foxwatch, but still only ever let my three out if I am with them. It is the only way I can be certain that the fox won't attack. They are perfectly happy in their run and converter. And more importantly, they are safe!

Big hugs to you and hope your other two haven't been too traumatised by the event. Lots of treats for them today!

I am worried now :? I let mine free range all day when I'm at work too :oops: They just don't stop making a noise if they are not let out. We live in a cull de sac in a village, a fox would have to get through 2 gardens or come through the back of the close through the small road system. We have a 6 foot fence all round the garden and the woman next door but one said she will always keep an eye out for me as she is retired. I really don't want to keep my two in the run all day but if they really are in real danger what should I do ?????

I feel like I'm being a bad 'Mum' to my girls by putting them at risk but they really don't want to be in the run and they do like to get that point accross to myself and the whole neighbourhood !!!!! I just try and think to myself that if the awful day comes where a fox does visit us then at least my hens had it all their own way till that moment and probably enjoyed every minute destroying my garden and running rings round me !

Our thanks to everyone for the kind messages and advice

Thankfully Matilda and Maisie don't seem too phased. Matilda laid an egg as usual this morning (Maisie hasn't started laying yet). We gave them both treats of corn on the cob this morning and custard creams this afternoon. They are eating their layers mash and seem quite okay.

Sheila was right about us being lucky the fox didn't take all the girls - we found a heap of brown feathers this morning so he had obviously nearly got one of the others.

They are now safely tucked up in their run (with a converter so it's quite spacious for them). We are investigating electrifying the fencing and/or a foxwatch. He won't get another chance to get at our girls.