Egluntyne

Eggs are good for you after all!

I've always understood that it was only meat-eaters who should limit their intake of eggs. Vegetarians can eat as many as they wish. :D Sometimes I have 2 a day and over a week it may be 10. I've always been sceptical of the advice because I just can't see that something as natural and uncontaminated as an egg could possibly be bad for your health!

I've always ignored the advice about eggs, despite having high cholesterol. I decided then that it wasn't the cholesterol in foods that is the problem but what your body does with it.

I did eat more eggs once we had our own hens and they didn't affect my cholesterol level one jot !

Claret wrote:

Me to, my mother is a bit of a panic-monger and is always calling me up about summat or other. One of her main gripes is that (according to her) I eat too many eggs - about 4 or 5 a week - there has been a resounding silence regarding this article!

My mum does that too. Saw the newspaper review on the TV this morning and thought HAH! Followed by Na na na nana! I wish I had a £ for every time some bright spark said something was bad for you only to be changed to being good for you some time later. Of course rats and mice pumped constantly with a specific food thing and nothing else will have adverse reactions. I'm sure if I ate chocolate (in my dreams) all day and every day, there would be some terrible things going on in my body - well, it's all up the creek anyway. The only time I worry about food is when the powers that be say something is fantastic and everyone should have it and is completely safe - ie GM foods!

So for lunch I had French toast with 2 eggs, so there mother.

Time to bring back that slogan "go to work on an egg".

I've always been sceptical of the advice because I just can't see that something as natural and uncontaminated as an egg could possibly be bad for your health![/color]

I would be very wary of that one, unfortunately many natural and uncontaminated things are pretty poisonous, foxgloves immediately spring to mind. I remember a very good case study in the BMJ some years ago. A man was seen in casualty with serious heart rhythm problems. He denied any medication, but had comfrey tea every morning for his health. Unfortunately for him young foxglove leaves look very like comfrey and he had been picking the wrong ones :( !

I'll be doing a cholesterol check tomorrow morning......

Can you get a kit to do this yourself Lesley? There is a history of heart disease in my family and I just wondered if it was something I kept an eye on.

Since I've had the girsl, I eat loads of eggs. They are so versatile, I never get tired of them. :D

I'll be doing a cholesterol check tomorrow morning......

Can you get a kit to do this yourself Lesley? There is a history of heart disease in my family and I just wondered if it was something I kept an eye on.

I wouldn't advise self checks unless you've already spoken to your GP as there is a history of heart disease in your family. I've had many cholesterol tests and am currently not taking statins but with no monitoring by my GP as they will only provide one test per year. I used a home test straight after the last full blood test I had done and the result was very close to that result and I feel comfortable with using the home tests in between the GP ones to see how I'm doing with taking fish oils instead of statins. I'm just waiting for more light then I can take the test(need to see the colours on the strip properly - they are varying shades of grey :roll: )

There was a thread about cholesterol somewhere - don't want to hijack this thread any further - PM me if you want to know anything.

Edit: It's lower :dance: - around 5.2. Not an exact science but good enough for me to continue my lonely quest. ( :roll::evil: )