little chickadee

Guide Dog pup Raffles - nearly time for her to move on :(

are you the lady with M.E? I just wondered how you manage with a puppy and walking it etc? I have Marfan syndrome which means I get really tired a lot of the time (as I believe you do) but I'd love a little dog but keep talking myself out of it because I know I wouldn't be able to walk it very far and it wouldn't be fair on the dog.

I just wondered how you got on with walking the dog and exercising it etc?

It is indeed me who has M.E

It's my husband that does all the walking. I do the bit in the house :D I couldn't have a dog if I didn't have my husband. He works from home too so if I really can't go outside to do toilet duty I can call through for him. I do the initial sit/ stay/ stand training in the house. Then he takes over.

I would recommend a Greyhound for you though if your husband could take them on a short walk each day (they don't need very much exercise and sleep most of the day. They don't take up much more room than a cat when they are curled up and are very calm companions although you couldn't let them outside if your chooks were freeranging)

Getting the puppy in just over half an hour :dance:

There are some brilliant rescue greyhounds and lurchers on the Lurcher Link forum. A mature and therefor trained dog would be brilliant for your circumstances and would love weekends away in your van.

hmmmmm, still pondering but thanks for the link. :D

I can't watch Paul O'Grady without wanting to phone up when the rescue dogs come on :roll: There was one on once that had a heart murmur, if it had been near me I would have definitely phoned up!

Well, so far she's been to the library, opticians, McDonalds (luckily I wasn't there for that one OH's little vice!) She's also been introduced to the violin, clarinet, tenor sax and guitar. Was slightly taken aback by the saxophone, but not too scared! She'd better get used to it, as she'll be going to the Cambridge folk festival in the summer and plenty of other live music during the year :D

She is sooooo different to Quita. So incredibly confident (and way more destructive if we give her half a chance!) Happy to go in the car now, although she was a bit whiney at first and very happy with the indoor kennel. She's even sleeping through the night and not soiling the kennel :dance:

Will post more photos soon.

One thing we've noticed is that people don't notice you carrying a little black puppy like they do with a yellow one. I think she just looks like a soft toy from a distance :lol: Means we're not innundated with strange people trying to grip us in town though which has to be a huge bonus!

She is truly gorgeous 8) I am interested in whether she wears a little coat saying she is a guide dog in training when she goes into supermarkets, or do you just have to explain to the staff?

Tessa

As Maggie said Tessa they don't do them small enough for the tiny pups. She has a special blue lead with Guide dog puppy written in yellow, and a florescent velcro flash which goes on the lead. Most of the shops know us now from when we had Quita. When we first got Quita we explained to every shop we went into, but soon realised that we would never get anywhere if we kept on doing that! We have also learnt to not make eye contact with everyone who looks at the puppy or it takes 5 hours to do the shopping!

Raffles is getting on really well and now looks like she's walking on stilts. I think the photos are from a week or so ago but she's shot up now :D

She's been to lots of places and still doesnt' seem phased by anything.

Persuading her that she is not in charge of the house is a constant battle at the moment and I'm looking forward to that stage letting up for a while soon until she's hormonal! :lol:

022.jpg

raffles.jpg