little chickadee

Guide Dog pup Raffles - nearly time for her to move on :(

Well, I thought I'd start a new thread for our next Guide Dog pup Raffles. Quita's thread is very long and Raffles deserves her own!

For anyone who is reading about Puppy Walking for the first time, have a look at the link below to find out about it.

http://www.guidedogs.org.uk/index.php?id=2692

Basically we look after a pup from the age of 6 1/2 weeks ish, until they are fully grown and ready to go into formal training. We don't get paid - it's just for fun and is a great way of doing charity work!

Anyway - we found out about Raffles today. She will be arriving at our house on March 25th :D

She is black and is a labrador/ Golden Retriever cross (much fluffier than a straight lab :D and the most successful dogs the GDBA breed)

Raffles has been privately sponsored, which means that an individual or group have paid £5,000 to name and sponsor a pup through their training. They will get updates (like with the monthly sponsorship packages where lots of people sponsor a dog), but in addition will get to meet her at least once during her puppy walking stage.

I'm getting excited now that I know when she will be here and what her name is etc. We know what we're doing now, as last time we were flapping around in the dark having never had a puppy before.

I will post lots of pictures when she arrives, so watch this space!

Edited by Guest

Oh how exciting - well done you.

Are there any things you will approach differently this time around in the light of your experiences with Quita?

I'm sure there are Maggie. We didn't have a clue what we were doing when we got our first bundle of fluff. We really wished they'd given us the training book before we got her :lol:

We should hopefully not have to call our supervisor so many times with Raffles!

What did you change in the light of your first pup experience?

Toileting in a specific fenced off area (fence made of 2' plastic mesh) - not allowing them on the carpeted areas unless invited - (makes it easier when they come into season as they don't expect to be allowed) - didn't buy so many toys - home made ones were fine!! Taking them places earlier as I wasn't so worried about accidents - having a clean up kit in my bag. :lol: I think thats about it :lol:

I think that's about it...........................apart from relaxing more and enjoying them.

Must not look at puppy photo, must not look :wall:

Too late! Oooh they are gorgeous!

I hope one day to be able to become a guide dog puppy walker - I have wanted to since I was young and a lady in our road did it. At the moment I work twice a week so dont fit the criteria but maybe one day.....

Like you, I know I would find it very hard to say good bye after the year but you should be applauded for all the hard work. :clap: .

Michelle

Lovely pics. 8)

I'll give Alice a reminder to take weekly snapshots of Raffles & will send you the photos

Oooh yes please :dance: The photos have been such a good focus for the kids, especially as my son has high functioning autism, so he really really likes to know exactly what's going on.

The house seems a bit quiet at the moment and it's nice to look forward to Raffles.

Aaaa! they're adorable! One of my neighbours does it too - the pups are adorable, I don't think I could let them go though, even if they do a great job for people who needs them... Still, you get to enjoy them at their sweetest (and most challenging) stage.

Great job to do from all points of view. :clap:

are you the lady with M.E? I just wondered how you manage with a puppy and walking it etc? I have Marfan syndrome which means I get really tired a lot of the time (as I believe you do) but I'd love a little dog but keep talking myself out of it because I know I wouldn't be able to walk it very far and it wouldn't be fair on the dog.

I just wondered how you got on with walking the dog and exercising it etc?