Alfred

BARF diets for dogs (and cats)

Has anyone used Landywoods? My local supplier has cut right down on what she can offer now and I need to find a new supplier.

I use Landywoods, they are very good and reliable, but they only deliver once a month and not at all to some areas. So if you have a big it's best to keep on top of their delivery dates or you might get in trouble.

It might have been me about not feeding raw and kibble together, I do remember posting that on here at one point.

My dog cannot cope with both at the same time. Digestion rates are different for each.

Sunday is Spencer's day off from BARF, he has cooked leftovers from our Sunday roast, which he absolutely adores and once a week I figure can't do him any harm.

It was interesting last year (November) when he went for his annual check up and boosters that the vet thought he was much healthier in general than the previous year yet he never asked what I was feeding him and I didn't tell him either, don't get me wrong I wasn't ashamed or anything, in fact I felt a bit smug about it. I really think it was the best thing that I could have done for him, he was not a particularly healthy dog previous to swapping his diet and personally I would not now feed a dog any other way. Other than a leg injury and boosters we have not been to the vets for 2 years whereas before we seemed to be there every other month literally.

I really cannot see why vets would think it's wrong to feed them raw food after all there have been dogs on the planet long before there was processed food around, who knows what's in that stuff! It can only be that they receive a lot of money from the industry.

I have to say that I don't see why a dog would need carbs for energy, they wouldn't naturally eat carbs in the wild. They may well eat the contents of their prey animal's stomach which may contain carbs but that would probably be all they would eat.

"I really cannot see why vets would think it's wrong to feed them raw food after all there have been dogs on the planet long before there was processed food around, who knows what's in that stuff! It can only be that they receive a lot of money from the industry."

Interesting...of course, dogs in the wild would have either been scavengers eating (potentially rotten) corpses, or opportunistic hunters. The most likely live prey for them would have either been young animals, or, more usually, old/diseased ones - it's not like wild dogs would get prime meat very often. And they would be lucky to get the best bits (it always intrigues me when people moan about pet food containing "s"Ooops, word censored!"ings from the abbatoir floor" etc - as if wild dogs would turn their noses up at that, or indeed necessarily eat anything better themselves!)

I'm not anti-BARF at all, and feed my dog elements of the diet. But I don't think that using a reputable brand of nutritionally balanced dog food is a terrible thing either. Dogs live a very long time these days, a lot longer than they did a hundred years ago, and most dogs that live into their teens have by the law of average lived their lives on pet food as it's what most owners choose to feed.

I have to say that my vet wasn't overly impressed with how we were feeding our two terriers, but then some doctors think chiropractors are quacks, so I didn't take a lot of notice. The best thing about raw meaty bones for me was how much they enjoyed them, doing acrobatics at the prospect of breakfast, and of course their lovely teeth and breath. I only stopped because of Jack's pancreatitis (and thyroid and liver!!), there was no option as he was so poorly but fortunately he's a fit as a fiddle on Burns again and wolfing down every mouthful!

"I really cannot see why vets would think it's wrong to feed them raw food after all there have been dogs on the planet long before there was processed food around, who knows what's in that stuff! It can only be that they receive a lot of money from the industry."

Interesting...of course, dogs in the wild would have either been scavengers eating (potentially rotten) corpses, or opportunistic hunters. The most likely live prey for them would have either been young animals, or, more usually, old/diseased ones - it's not like wild dogs would get prime meat very often. And they would be lucky to get the best bits (it always intrigues me when people moan about pet food containing "s"Ooops, word censored!"ings from the abbatoir floor" etc - as if wild dogs would turn their noses up at that, or indeed necessarily eat anything better themselves!)

I'm not anti-BARF at all, and feed my dog elements of the diet. But I don't think that using a reputable brand of nutritionally balanced dog food is a terrible thing either. Dogs live a very long time these days, a lot longer than they did a hundred years ago, and most dogs that live into their teens have by the law of average lived their lives on pet food as it's what most owners choose to feed.

Do you not wonder sometimes though if some of the complaints dogs suffer from are diet related? I am fairly convinced that a lot of my dog's problems came about through the additives and colourants put into commercial food. Perhaps it's too complex for their fairly primitive digestive system, just a thought.

I can only speak from personal experience and I don't think my dog would have made it to a ripe old age if I hadn't changed his food, he's 5 now. Yesterday he had a wild rabbit I got from my local butcher and there is nothing I like better than watch him devour it, he puts a paw on it and rips bits off, not only does it do his neck and jaw muscles good, it cleans his teeth and makes him think.

I am very passionate about BARF, I just wish more people realised how good it is. Sorry I am not preaching and everyone has to do what is best for their circumstances and their dog

An acquaintance is a gamekeeper, living in the highlands and keeps hounds... two lovely deerhounds and a lurcher. They have a prey only diet, so they eat what they catch; they are trained to bring rabbits straight back to be paunched first and get the odd bits of venison too. Extreme :? , but a very natural diet.

I'm often asked (by people who don't know hounds) whether Ruby eats enough as she looks so thin, I have to explain that it's her natural build and that in fact the vet says that she is exteremly healthy :lol:

I think that's one of the better brands Sha.

The thing is that the feed sold by vets is more expensive than the leading brands sold in stores, but no better from what I can gather. People just feel that it will be better for their animal because the vet has recommended it.

My vet has now given up telling me off for feeding Ruby on a mostly raw diet and not the stuff they recommend; it's plain to see how healthy she is.

Our Vet was cautiously interested when we told him what we were feeding to Jazz......and we worried about it for a while. We don't worry any more as Jazz is healthy and happy. Tali is on the same food and this time we didn't even worry about telling the Vet, we just said 'This is what she has' - Tali grows overnight and is perfectly happy with home-made food. It doesn't take long to make up a batch of food - we make enough for two months for two dogs as we have freezer space - but a weeks supply wouldn't take up much space.