Guest grd

Rats

I'm not sure you are allowed to release vermin, having caught it. I think you have to kill it. :?

Maybe someone knows more than I do . . . :?

I hate rats and I don't think I could have even photographed it! But I do know that too much marzipan makes them vomit. :(:shock:

Shona wrote:

Phone your local environmental health - they'll remove it for you. They destroy it, but if it's as vicious as you say, then it probably for the best.

Mmmm - but the whole point was NOT to kill it, surely? Graham says he really doesn't want to kill it. It's only "aggressive" because it's caught in a cage...

Phil

I'm not sure you are allowed to release vermin, having caught it. I think you have to kill it. :?

I think Graham's OK with the law in releasing it...

It's only non-native species that you are not allowed to release - like squirrels. If you accidentally caught a grey squirrel, a coypu or a mink in your trap - you'd have to kill it by law - or get a release license. You could release a red-squirrel - in fact it'd be against the law to kill one of those...

you can release rats and mice... (though given there is a big rise in the rat population at the moment - DEFRA wouldn't recommend it, I'm sure)

Phil

Then they would, yes, but they said they would just put poison down. Anyone would think they're scared of rats! :lol::lol::lol:

Anyway, with two coat hangers I have managed to pick the cage up and put it into a large plastic box with a lid (with holes). I'm going to drive it somewhere at lunch time.

it should go to Norway, surely? (or, more accurately, SE Asia, as they don't come from Norway at all...)

it looks like a Rattus Norvegicus to me..

which reminds me....

Walking on the beaches looking at the peaches...

i can think of a lot worse places to be

like down in the streets

or down in the sewer

or even on the end of a skewer

Phil

This and lots of other fascinating information about the wild brown rat here:

http://cj_whitehound.madasafish.com/Rats_Nest/Norway_Rats/Wild.htm

Phil

(This topic has been quite educational!)

There are numerous legends associated with wild rats - although since Norway rats only arrived in Europe around the beginning of the 18thC, many of them probably really relate to the ship rat. Buck ship rats can get so hormone-happy they really will launch unprovoked attacks on males of other species; although if a screaming ship rat leaps straight at your face it is not, as legend has it, because he wants to tear your throat out, but because he wants to pee on your head in order to prove his superiority. Wild Norway rats do not make unprovoked attacks - but may run all over you, and possibly bite as they go, if you suddenly disturb them and you happen to be between them and the exit. If you are working in an area where there may be wild rats and you have to e.g. lift planks or similar which may have rats hiding under them, don't stand between the rats and the door, and turn whatever it is over slowly and gently. That way, the rats should scamper discreetly out by the door - rather than swarming up your leg.

i don't know much about this subject but just in case i need to, is it safe to use poison in the garden - i have two cats?? :?

it depends on your cats, really. If used outside - where other animals (like your cats) have access, then the rat-bait should be in a bait-station like this one:

87_154444.jpg

the other danger is if your cats are in the habit of eating rats... were they to catch and eat a poisened (so easier to ctach) live-rat - or (less likely) eat a dead one - then there is a chance they would be poisoned too...

but then that is a hazard anyway - because anyone living nearby could be using poison.

in most cases - if you use a bait station - then it's quite a low risk to your cats...

Phil

Anyway, with two coat hangers I have managed to pick the cage up and put it into a large plastic box with a lid (with holes). I'm going to drive it somewhere at lunch time.

is it gone then, Graham? - we're all dying to know.... (or did you just take it for a drive? 8) )

Phil

(I've had my lunch now...)