ali-s

Big loud Bell Needed

Miley is now out and about after being spayed and chipped and the local wildlife is being exterminated at a frightening rate.

This morning I have counted 2 shrews, 3 Bluetits and 2 other rodent type creatures (not much left of those two) on the patch of lawn outside the door :twisted: . This latest lot met their end yesterday evening between 6pm and 10pm and this morning between 5.30am and 9.30am. Miley is kept in at night and while I am work during the day. I had planned on a cat flap but now I am not so sure.

I know Cats hunt but I had not expected her to be so skilled at it. I have had cats before and none of them bothered going on killing sprees and I never found "presents" from them.

Miley is wearing a collar with a bell attached but it doesn't make much noise. Can anyone recomend a really loud cat bell I can put on her collar? Is there anything else I can do?

hi

if you are serious about getting her a bell then heres one that crafyhunnypie brought up:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Novelty-Chicken-Bell-for-Cat-Dog-Collar-Loud-Jingle_W0QQitemZ350175907825QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Cats?hash=item350175907825&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

as some people stated it would not be nice for her not to be able to do her natural instinct which is to catch prey,if you are worried about the wildlife and need to do something extreme about it then mabye consider this if it gets that bad

josh :D

Hi Alison,

we had a similar problem when our cats were younger. I found that putting 2-3 bells on their collars helped initially, but it did sound like a group of morris dancers every time one of the cats passed :roll: Unfortunately both cats learnt, within a couple of months, how to move without making a noise - at that point I resorted to a sonic beeping collar -

you can see it here http://www.willana-lifesciences.co.uk/catalert/

This worked brilliantly for stopping them catching birds but they did still catch rabbits and rodents when wearing it. Neither cat seemed bothered by the beep, and I've continued to use them for the last 4 years or so, particularly during baby bird season. They are expensive, but the batteries last quite well.

I bought one of these when it was posted to use as a keyring. it is LOUD! very very loud, it swings from the keys when I drive so I stuffed it with tissue to stop it clanging over the ipod :lol:

The only trouble is that it is fairly big.

Its very upsetting isn't it when your beloved cat insists on killing everything in sight. We've got a really loud bell on Dave's collar. I haven't seen him with any dead birds lately but he is still catching mice etc.

He bought one in (alive) the other day. Cookie alerted me, she seems to sense it as soon as he comes in. He dropped it in the dining room. We have a very large, leather sofa bed in there and it went under the sofa. I put Dave in another room and Hubby and I managed to move the sofa and were trying to coax it out when it made a quick escape to the right - straight into Sophie's mouth! :roll: I hadn't even heard her come in. Unfortunately she killed it before we could get it out of her mouth. It really upsets my YS and he hates the cats for days afterwards.

I took on a cat once we called her s"Ooops, word censored!"py as she was a small wee thing, which had been hanging by the collar and got her arm out but still was caught under the armpit and made an awful mess and smell she had been missing for about a week! - the owner was putting her back to the cats protection - I took her and took the collar off - in the country or the town I would never put a collar on a cat again after seeing that.