gooner.girl

Chicken Keeping course!

Well i've just booked myself in for a course on chicken keeping at the Weald and Downland open air museum in Sussex in November! Very excited!

I know a bit about chickens as i did an NVQ in Agriculture at School (my secondary school had a farm! :) )and i have done a fair amount of farm work as summer jobs but thats been mostly with cows and a bit with pigs and sheep not hens and obviously have learnt a bit as i have gone along with my chickens and through the forum but thought it would be interesting to learn hands on from an expert.

Has anyone else been on chicken keeping courses and if so what did you learn?!

Helen

We've only live about 15 mins from weald and downland and thought about going on this course.

Have spent today at the Apple Festival which is held next to W&D at West Dean House - if it's still open in November I would recommend a visit as the food and grounds are lovely :D:D

Took my Omlet bags with me which were commented on by many stallholders as they were put to good use :D:D

Anyway in true forum style I have gone off topic :D:D - back to the course.

It's run by David Bland who owns and runs SPR (mentioned on this website as a great and helpful supplier of things chicken) and as I pop into SPR most weeks I thought I might be wasting my money as I can get free advice anytime I pop into SPR. They are very knowledgeable and helpful. :D:D

Hope you have a great time - my daughter and I may still decide to go depending on the date.

Hi, Yes it was good - see the 'Nutty Cat' thread in the nesting box forum for more info (it got a bit off topic from the title!)

It was quite expensive for what it is, but it did include lunch and entrance to the museum. Rip off for 2 people to go though!

Did get to cuddle a (very placid) chicken! More people there then i thought there would be - i reckon at least 30!

Are you going to get/do you own a smallholding then? Or do you just want to cuddle some piglets? :lol: I have to say i would like to do that one. But it takes me an hour to get there and it is expensive and i don't know whether i could justify it not actually having a small holding! There are some similar courses at Plumpton college which is nearer to me so i may do one of them sometime!

Just want to cuddle a sheep :D:D

In my dreams I have a smallholding :D:D:D:D:D

One day I hope to have ahouse with land so that I can keep a couple of sheep, a horse or two, lots of chooks and especially rescued chooks and anything else that needs lots of love and is cuddly.

At the moment I have to make do with a back garden big enough for my 3 girls (although if they suceed indestroying the lawn again this year may end up putting in a second eglu for rescued girls :D:D ) and I get to cuddle a sheep when my daughter goes horse riding as they have one at the stables.

Omlet were talking about doing Chicken keeping courses, hosted by some of the more longstanding forum members, but i've not heard anyhting since - it may be worth emailing James a link to this thread so show him that there would be a demand for them.

Interesting. Is it cheaper for them for us to do it? :lol:

We have 2 agricultural colleges near us and i think they both do some kind of poultry keeping course as adult ed - it may be worth looking to see if there are any near you first Mel, before you trek down to sussex. The course i went on was only 4 hours - 10.30 - 2.30 (inc brief lunch) but it did pack a lot in! They are running another one in January i believe. Check out http://www.wealddown.co.uk/ and look under courses.

I think Omlet maybe thinking of doing mini coures for people who are considering getting an eglu, so they can see how easy they are to look after.

Personally i think Chickens are far easier to keep than most pets and with everything they require common sense. If anyone has a problem then this forum is a font of information. Lest face it River Cottage's course at £195 is a lot of money and I would question how much day to day/useful knowledge you get from intensive courses. eg you may get told about what to do with a broody chicken but you will forget it and you only require that information when you have that issue.