charlies82

child friendly chickens and advice needed!

Hi All,

Have just ordered my Eglu and now need to decide which breeds to get!

I have two children aged 3 and 1, so would like breeds that are not too aggressive lol!

i would like hens that are good egg layers too and decent looking birds (i dont ask for much do i). I was also thinking of different breeds for each hen will that work and which ones get on better?

Am i right in thinking you can have upto 3 hens in your eglu?

Sorry for all the questions. All advice welcome

Thank you everyone

Charlotte x

I've got four daughters aged between 3 and 12 so it was important to us when we first bought chickens that they'd be good with children. We got ours from Cotswold Chickens and I'd highly recommend their Amber Lees and Bovan Goldlines. Both were incredibly friendly, not to mention tolerant of a little rough handling by small hands :oops: We have two Amber Lees now and my three year old can pick them both up and carry them around.

We have 2 POL chickens a Fenning Black and a Mendlesham Ranger both of which are friendly and the children are able to pick them up although they are not overly happy with handling they tolerate it !!!

We also have a Golden Silkie who I cannot recommend enough !!!!

Not only does she look great and is hilarious to watch but she is so friendly and easy to handle and will sit on your lap ! She isn't the best egg layer but lays about 4/5 smallish white eggs a week but is our favourite girl by far !!!!! :D

Enjoy your search it really is such fun can't recommend it enough just wish so much I had bought a cube and could have more !

I have an Amber star, Goldline, bluebelle. They are hybids, easy to get hold of (round here anyway) Great chickens and layers. Love being held. i have three boys 5, 4 and 2.

Snap!! I have an amber star, a gold star, and a bluebelle too!! But I have two girls aged 2 and 3! They love the chickens and the chickens don't seem that affected by them one way or the other - here's a pic to prove it!

biggerpool001.jpg

Hello,

I have a Gingernut Ranger and a Magpie... both my girls are friendly and superb layers but I haven't any experience of how they would be around children. I think that as long as your children are gentle with them (as I'm sure they will be!) you should be fine with most breeds. My hens follow me round the garden, peck on the back door when they want a treat and sit on my knee when I'm in the garden! Now, that's a freindly pet! PPGNR

Some of the pure breeds can be a little flightly, but if you ask your local chicken breeder/seller I'm sure they will give you some honest advice.

In answer to your " how many hens to the Eglu" question... I'd say you'll be fine with 3 hybrid sized birds - but if they'll be in the run for any length of time I'd suggest only 2 hens with the standard run. If you want 3 girls and they'll be in there for most of the day you really need to add a run extension to give them enough room and avoid squabbles :wink:

Paula

Mine are all Ex-Bats I think they are a kind of Rhode Island (so totally not posh - but fantastic layers!) and I've got to say that my 2 year old happily picks them up, pushes them all around in her wheelbarrow and has even gone down her slide with one on her lap (much to our amazement :shock: ) and never have they pecked or jumped at her. Just something to consider instead you wanted to go down this route of saving a poorly hen??

Sorry to join late but I've got two boys, my youngest turned 2 last weekend and my oldest is 4 in July. We have four hybrids, a Bovans Goldline a Rhode Ranger, a Black Pearl and a Maran CouCou. They are all friendly but the Rhode Ranger is particularly so and only rushes the boys if they walk out of the house carrying grapes!! Top tip, don't let the chickens free range the garden with a birthday party full of children with food in their hands - they are fair game and some of them are not used to the attention from my girls - I tried not to laugh but it was like a Laurel and Hardy movie with four chickens chasing several children because they had hula hoops on the ends of their fingers!! HOwever, having said this, it just proves my four are totally at home with kids, they are happy in the garden with them even if there are quite a few over for a play date. I just obviously keep an eye on the kids that don't belong to me to make sure they don't chase them or try and pick them up incorrectly - I have found though that all the kids that come over are desperate to come back again, purely to see the chickens! They are a massive hit all round. I have got four eggs every day since they all started laying and I get one or two double yokers a week.

We used to have an amber star and one day I found my little girl and our daft chicken sunbathing together on the lawn - chicken lying on her. She was so beautiful....a little ballerina trapped in a chicken's body. Our Gingernut ranger Desdemona is lovely too...she coos and sometimes falls asleep on us. Pepperpot is feistier, Light Sussex is squeaky and flighty...our Speckled Sussex pecks at present. So I can't really recommend her....

I got my hens on Saturday and opted for hybrids for their laying ability and people told me the ones which were good with kiddies as my little girl is only 2. So far the Warren hen has proved the most friendly out of all three. Saying that as we've only had them a few days, it's hard to tell but none of them have given me any signs of being nasty or unhappy to see me and they've been happy to come to me when I've approached them with treats.