Cate in NZ

Happy Halloween

We've just got back from Norfolk with the biggest pumpkin you have ever seen - given by a friend. We will carve it for the competition if I can get Rosie motivated and will be eating pumpkin soup and pie for ever :roll: It really is super.

We ignore carol singers here too, for the same reason - they want money for themselves. We do get the Round table coming round though, with FC in a sleigh drawn by a tractor, they collect for the local hosice, so they alwys get a donation and everyone in the street comes out to see it.

there's a hot topic in a few weeks - carol singers

I don't mind some coming round as long as they can at least sing a song and know more than the first verse!

I got some kids a couple of years ago to stand there and sing all of Jingle Bells and they didn't even know it. And it helps if they can hold a tune!

Grumpy old man leaving now :lol:

We live on a military base and have a great time for Halloween. There is a rule that people leave their porch lights on if they want visitors and it works really well as "Ooops, word censored!"ody is disturbed who doesn't want to be :) We decorate our front windows in spooky style and all get dressed up. Hubby stays at home to give out sweets whilst we go trick or treating in a group. Its great fun but the only problem is the children get soooo many sweets :roll: . I have to sneak them off and take them to work to share out with my starving colleagues. Too many sweets can't be good can they?

I have none yet but if its anything like last Halloween I shall probably have 2 carrier bags full.I don't mind the children having some sweets but that is just too much :shock: Hubby and me are always trying to lose weight so don't like to put temptation in our way :twisted: I noticed you are getting some battery hens. That's great, I was planning on getting 2 in November but I haven't got anywhere for them to sleep yet. I think you are supposed to keep them seperate from the others until they recuperate. I just cannot afford another Eglu so I might try and get a wooden coop. I suppose they won't mind, probably glad of any home after what those poor things have been through, Sara x

Well, I got the pumpkin carved last night and tested it out with nightlights - it looks fab. I'll send in our photos to Johannes for the competition - anyone else entering?

We were given an enormous pumpkin by a good friend and it was hard to lift it onto the kitchen surface to get it carved, but an hour later and with the use of Phil's Padsaw, we have a lovely pumpkin - I think it's going to take up all the porch though :?

I was going to stick this in a new thread.. but i figued here was good enough :)

Im having a halloween party tomorrow night.. 3 teams, each with 3 people in. were starting off by making our pizzas (I am providing the bases, blood sauce and melted mozzarella eyeballs) and everyone is bring a contribution of a scary topping.

I have mice brains (popcorn drizzled in strawberry sauce)

and headless gingerbreadmen (holding their head under their arm)

we have 6 rounds of games.. (thought it might give you guys some ideas)

----------

round 1. (whilst first batch of pizzas are being cooked)

Pumpkin making: first one to finish, and light the candle gets 5 points. Pumpkin to be chosen by the next trick or treaters get 5 points.

Punky pumpkins = Make a Laughing pumpkin

Cheeky devils = Make an evil pumpkin

Bloody vampires = Make a vampire pumpkin

Round 2. (whilst second batch of pizzas are being cooked)

Name the bones

3 pictures of a witches skeleton. 10 bones to name..

first team to hand in the completed sheet wins

Round 3:

scary Tabbo:

(I can share my words etc if your intereseted

Round 4.

Popping balloons

10 balloons in the room. Each team has 3 "pops". 3 of the balloons have bonus points the rest have forfeits / challenges, If you fail a challenge you loose a point.

Selection of whats inside the balloons includes:

-(Sing the “bat out of hell” chorus.. and play the air guitar whilst doing it)

-(you have to act like the picture “scream”. For 25 seconds without smiling. people from apposing teams are free to try and make you laugh, but can not touch you.)

Round 5

What is it? (2 people from each team are blind folded. 1 person has to feed the other person something.. the 3rd team member guides. The first team member to guess right wins that round.

-cold green porridge

-cold spaghetti

-peeled crushed grape

-melon ball

Round 6 (Spooky Balderdash)

I can share the words / movies and abbriviations I have selected if your intersted

:)

made up 60 bags of trick or treat sweets yesterday.

Last year I did 50 and ran out :shock:

hubby carved 5 fantastic pumpkins yesterday.

We have a tombstone with grim reaper to go by the front door. a skeleton that looks like he's coming out from the grass, hanging skulls and spiders, a door cover that sticks on our front door saying "keep out" written in blood.

Also have scarey sounds CD to play outside with screams and creaking doors etc. cant wait !