cathybc

nail varnish on chickens?

No, I have not totally flipped and given them full pedicures :lol:

I can't tell Hermione and Harriet apart; can I use nail varnish, say, on their back feathers, to mark one so I can tell which is which? I am a bit of a varnish fetishist so have plenty of colours.

Or any better ideas?

I have had my ex-bats for over a year, they have been totally fine health-wise, but I just want to start keeping a closer eye on them.

Hedwig is, as always, uniquely identificable i.e. given half a chance, she will run upstairs to leave me special presents on the lounge carpet :roll:

Hi Cathybc. No idea whether this would be okay in all honesty, but I would be reluctant personally to put nail varnish on their feathers.

Most people use coloured leg rings to tell them apart, but if you don't fancy that how about a bit of blue food colouring on one of their feathers or backs?

:D I was wondering ...

Leg rings are the way to go, however I just wanted to add that you are not alone in this. I had two gingernuts that I couldn't tell apart, at least if they were side by side it was obvious but if you only saw one it was difficult to know if it was Pepper or Yolko. Both sadly deceased now, and my other gingernuts are quite different in size and colour.