Ain't Nobody Here Posted June 11, 2009 Share Posted June 11, 2009 I've got 6 spinach plants growing nicely but as I've never done it before I don't know what they're supposed to look like . They seem to be developing little flower buds all up the stems. Do I do anything with them or should they be left there? The plants seem to be very upright with quite small leaves (had some some for breakfast ) - is that normal? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted June 11, 2009 Share Posted June 11, 2009 Spinach for breakfast? Doesn't sound normal to me! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted June 11, 2009 Author Share Posted June 11, 2009 It does when you're on the South Beach diet . Poached egg on sauteed spinach - surprisingly nice . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted June 11, 2009 Share Posted June 11, 2009 I thought of Popeye for a moment there ANH. Could it have bolted because of the recent hot weather? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted June 11, 2009 Author Share Posted June 11, 2009 That's what I was worried about . Has it had it if it's bolted ? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted June 11, 2009 Author Share Posted June 11, 2009 Just Googled bolted spinach and it seems that's what I've got . I can try cutting off the flowers to prolong it a bit but otherwise it's all over . Oh, well, I got some free seeds yesterday so at least I've got somewhere to put them now . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted June 11, 2009 Share Posted June 11, 2009 I'd say so. I'd harvest what you can and put it in the fridge. I'd compost the plants and start again.....or plant something else in its place. I had some that bolted a couple of years ago. I did remove the flower heads on the advice of my neighbour, but as he guessed, they bolted again a few days later. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted June 11, 2009 Share Posted June 11, 2009 Don't compost it feed it to your chooks, they will love it and you will get orange eggs that taste fab. Mine ate all of my bolted perpetual spinach that had sat over the winter. It can be tough to grow spinach in the summer, it bolts very quickly in dry hot conditions. The best crops come from late summer or early spring sowings. We grew perpetual spinach last year which gave us an autumn crop and stood over the winter too. There are some varieties that are better suited for summer sowings, check the seed packets for info. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tiggy Posted June 11, 2009 Share Posted June 11, 2009 mine bolted whilst we were away but the girls love it so no waste Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted June 11, 2009 Author Share Posted June 11, 2009 Thanks all . I'm sure the girls will appreciate it . As luck would have it, this morning I got a newspaper offer I'd ordered with lots of free seeds (and some herb plugs) including ..... spinach So I'll plant some more and see how that goes . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted June 11, 2009 Share Posted June 11, 2009 I tried spinach a few years ago, but despite being on my watering system, it still bolted. perpetual spinach is just as nice if picked young and tender and doesn't tend to bolt as quickly It grows all year and with enough plants (and a bit of fleece) it will keep you in picking all over winter. Let me know if you need some seeds ANH Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tara.F Posted June 11, 2009 Share Posted June 11, 2009 you could also try growing rainbow chard stunningly beautiful plants with vibrant coloured stems (the colours have to be seen to be believed) slow to bolt and very hardy. Use the leaves as spinach and the stems (young) in salads or older in lasagne and ratatouille etc Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted June 11, 2009 Author Share Posted June 11, 2009 I'll have a go at that . Must admit I wasn't keen on the chard we used to get in our veg box but they were massive big leaves (and we got it every darn week too ). Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Milly Posted June 11, 2009 Share Posted June 11, 2009 When did you sow it? I sowed some in March and it was really good. I think if you sow in cooler weather it doesn't bolt so quickly. I have sown some more, but something keeps digging it up. Well, not digging up the spinach specifically, just digging holes all over my raised bed. I don't know what it is as I have spare omlet netting all round so it's not cats or rabbits Milly Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted June 11, 2009 Share Posted June 11, 2009 It'll be those pesky mice Milly Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
redhotchick Posted June 11, 2009 Share Posted June 11, 2009 Pesky mice Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted June 11, 2009 Share Posted June 11, 2009 Yep, all my spinach has bolted too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tessa the Duchess Posted June 12, 2009 Share Posted June 12, 2009 Same here, my spinach has bolted I managed to harvest quite a few small leaves to blanche and freeze, but I will have to start again I did read somewhere that the perpetual spinach is less likely to bolt than the ordinary stuff. Tessa Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Milly Posted June 13, 2009 Share Posted June 13, 2009 It'll be those pesky mice Milly We put a mouse trap in and they just kick dirt over it! And I think they are eating my strawberries - which are still white. It doesn't look like snail/slug damage. Milly Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tara.F Posted June 14, 2009 Share Posted June 14, 2009 you can sow spinach again later in the year to prevent bolting. In theory...any time after 21st June as from then the nights draw in (really!) but in reality I'd wait a while longer and put them somewhere a bit shady like you would lettuce Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted June 14, 2009 Share Posted June 14, 2009 I have it marked in my diary Tara, 'SOW SPINACH' at the end of June I can't forget or else the hens will not be happy over winter Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
iar fach goch Posted June 15, 2009 Share Posted June 15, 2009 Am new to this part of the forum and vegetable growing so please forgive silly questions. What exactly does bolting mean? My perpetual spinach is doing well and is the first thing for me to eat from my veg patch! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted June 15, 2009 Share Posted June 15, 2009 Bolting means that the plant has run to seed. With some plants, they completely change taste when they bolt. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted June 16, 2009 Share Posted June 16, 2009 The plants flower and grow very tall and in the case of things like radishes, turnips and other roots the roots become tough and woody. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
iar fach goch Posted June 17, 2009 Share Posted June 17, 2009 thankyou! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...