Guest indie999

? Broody

HI

Think my speckledy has gone broody..I got so fed up with the amount of time she was on the nest(& yesterday I had two arguing over the nest but as cube had room to both sit)

I have just gone to see where she was and yes is nicely fluffed up so I lifted and removed the one solitary egg (that I dont even think is hers) she is normally a scatty chicken and looked at me with complete disgust that I had the nerve to move her.

I am not too bothered but will she stop the other hens laying?? Thats the only thing that will bother me as we love our fresh eggs....

This time next year I would be glad of a broody, just not now!!!

Any tips do I turf her out and dunk her bot in cold water etc

thanks indie

If you were able to lift her off without her growling and pecking at you, it could be that's she's just thinking about it, so I'd just see how she goes. My broody was pulling feathers out for over a week before she decided she was broody and went bad tempered -lol

Well I just had a look and she is still there, but her belly is bald(looks oven ready :lol: ) but cant see any bugs and did put some more mite powder in the hemcore nest last night.

I am going to give them all a good dusting today...but not sure if she is a broody thing or not. Only one egg so far today.

Any more advice...but thanks Redwing at least I know more than one can go into the nest area & as there is plenty of room in (cube green)

Will keep my eye on her

thanks

indie

ps I did notice some grey feathers this week too in the nest area?? what a monkey..makes me giggle..hormones who would be without them :)

Hi there, my experience of broodies is that it will eventually stop the others laying so best to cure it as soon as you can. If she fluffs up and growls at you when you open the nest, is as grumpy as a pre-menstrual buulodg and scoops everyone elses eggs under her then she's broody.

I put mine in a rabbit hutch for a few days - no bedding just food, water and lots of fresh air, it seems to work. I know you can dunk them but I've never managed that. Good luck, they're a pain in the proverbial!

BeckyBoo

I have a small cage so will go to see if she is still in the nest(she is very disgruntled..but amusing as normally she wont come near me..yes was growling when I shoved her along as one of my others had turned up to lay so I shoved her along after giving her a good sprinkling of mite powder just in case!)! She now is smelling good and dusty!

indie :)

I have the most anooying broody atm :roll:

But my other chicken gets lonely without her, so while she sleeps in the nest box, the other peches on the end of it...

turfed her out for breakfast this morning only to find that the other has pooed on her! :doh:

I'm just letting her get on with it though :roll:

We had our first broody - Marjorie just recently. Put her in a dog crate on bricks in the cube run for 3 days until Friday afternoon and she has been fine for the last couple of days.

For 2 weeks previoulsy I had tried the 'shutting her out of the Cube' approach, but this didn't work - though it didn't stop the others laying.

:D

Um I just picked her out the nest and popped her back in wir where she then continued to squawk for ages, now she is back in the nest box sitting on nothing and quiet..what a great big dumpling...! If the others completely stop laying due to HRH hogging the box then solitary confinement will ensue!

indie :)

My little helper just came round and we have just dusted the lot(two have pulled out their chest feathers and broody had pulled out some in the nest area(def broody) so we have now shut her in the wir with the (cube green) door shut! She has been loitering to go back in...but

If that doesnt work solitary for a couple of days!! indie :)