Steph C

Who keeps quail in an eglu?

I've got 3 quail in an eglu and standard run.

although I love the set up, I'm struggling a bit with the quail's tendency to drop eggs wherever they want - my current solution is to use one of those 'claw' things that back pain sufferers use to pick things up from the floor. works a treat, but I do sometimes wonder if rabbit hutch might not be better. HOWEVER, I do like the fact that the quail get grass, and dust baths, and proper fresh air etc with the eglu and run. maybe I need a side hatch on my run?!!

Quail update: my 4 quails arrived this morning and settled in immediately - pecking at the grass and eating layers' pellets with gusto. They seem quite tame and they are incredibly cute! Their names are Muffin, Crumpet, Bagel and Toast. The driver wasn't too sure how to fit the chick kit to the roosting bars, so a set of instructions and quail keeping booklet from Omlet might have been useful... :shameonu: I think I will need a different type of feeder to the chick feeder: the feed will get horribly wet if it rains, even when positioned under the shade. :? Not sure that the drinker will be too stable in the wind either... Any ideas?

well, we had a fox attack last night - lost 4 girls and a rabbit. however, the quail inside the eglu and run are all fine, so thumbs up to the eglu for that. however, still struggling with access to the eggs which is quite frankly a pain; also finding it difficult to replace food/water etc - this is my fault tho, because of my set up. it can be done, it's just not easy!

Hi,

Sorry to hear about fox attack. Nasty. To get the eggs out of quail eglu, I use a long litter picker. I now have a galvanised drinker that uses a wine bottle and fixes to the outside of the run, and an old 1l plastic milk bottle with a quail head-sized slot in the side for their layers pellets until I feel shamed into buying something more classy!! Works a treat though, keeping the rain off. Doesn't stop them pooing in it though. I don't know how they manage it!

The drinker I have works brilliantly - cannot be knocked over as a wine bottle is attached to the outside of the run in the drinker frame, and the drinker part pokes through the bars in the wire. One full bottle seems to last my quails for a about five days - though of course I've never tested that theory to the max! Feeder wise, I have now invested in a sturdy number on little legs that has a top hat on top to keep out the rain (and the quails). Finally, no more wasted food! All four of my girls were laying within two weeks. It's great fun hunting for eggs in the run with the litter picker! the neighbours must get endless entertainment...

right, I've decided to give up on my eglu as quail housing. in the right situation, I'm sure it's great, but it just doesnt work for me - I have 2 eglu runs, about 9" apart door to door, and I simply cant get in to sort the quail out, let alone get any eggs out. so as soon as the WIR is finished, they are going in their in special quail pens (basically rabbit runs, but customised for easy opening with clear tarps on top to stop the chooks pooing on them)

well, change of plan again! still giving up on the eglus though. the quail seem happy in there, but I just find it too difficult to manage, plus I am quite keen to sell one eglu and 2 runs.

I am now having 2 rabbit hutches, one on top of the other (they come like that) and will live on the deck outside the WIR next to the cube.

after lots of thinking, I decided they would take up too much room inside the WIR, and be easier to look after outside. then considered 2 low level pens, but space and my back could be difficult. then thought about hutches with upstairs and run beneath - til a quail forum said that quail dont understand upstairs!

so this is it: http://www.rabbithutchwarehouse.co.uk/hutches.php?kw=rabbit%20hutch&fl=35429&gclid=CMbf15vh3qQCFc0_4wodfF7aMA

should be here in about a week's time. we are getting the maisonette breeder double one, 5'.

if they dont like it they will just have to lump it!!

I had until recently six quail in an eglu but unfortunately the fox decide to attack that and ripped the front off somehow. All but two of the quail got away, both were caught by the cat and one was beyond 'repair'. My poor little remaining Quail (Aero) now lives in an Apiary elsewhere :(

They were great though and I think we might get some more in the future, when mucking out the old eglu I discovered a secret stash of twenty eggs hidden underground! Shame all of them were off though.

> I get a long stick or broom to sweep it in lol.<

I used to get a fishing net and pick them up in it. It meant you didn't get covered in straw at least!

Hello,

I am about to start keeping 6 quail in an Eglu Classic 3 metre run and would love to hear more as this feed is a good few years old now.

Can you use the Grub feeder?

Additional protection on the run?

What do you use for bedding and in the run?

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.