rachel19

Expanding my flock?

I want to get another two chickens to add to my existing 3 - reason being i think 5 is a nice number :wink:

I've introduced 2 to 1 before and it went pretty smoothly but 2 to 3 may be more trouble. I'm more of a throw them in there and let them sort it out quickly sort of a person but wanted a few pointers: i will put extra food and water out, scatter corn/ hang up greens - plus they have a 6ft by 27ft run to escape the attacks. Is there anything else i can do to help matters?

Also does anyone know of a breeder in the Sussex area that sells orpingtons and similar as i'd love huge fluffy hens :D ?

We did the same as you - introduced 2 to one (which was a bit of a nightmare) and then two to three - and this was remarkably smooth. I think there were about five or six pecks and then it was all sorted. 8) We have two eglus and now they mix and match where they sleep - it's a different combination in each eglu every night so there don't seem to be any issues between any of them. :D

Good luck

Sian

I want to get another two chickens to add to my existing 3 - reason being i think 5 is a nice number :wink:

Good enough reason in my book Rachel :wink:

I've introduced various numbers in the past and so long as there are plenty of feed stations and you take it slowly they'll be ok. Keep an eye on them for the first couple of days.

Orps are super :D but enormous and you'd have trouble fitting more than one in an Eglu - ask Lesley; she has Big Buff

The housing situation is fine - i don't actually have an eglu anymore but a huge wooden house - think it fits up to 25 chickens so should be enough room :D

Glad to hear that people have had quite successful introductions of 2 to 3 - makes me feel better about things

My 2:1 introductions are going very well - they had their first day freegranging in the garden today - all 3 were very well behaved - Mavis showed the two newbies where the best foraging spots were, they did a little sunbathing and they all had a jolly spiffing time :wink:

Ok day 2 - things appear pretty much the same this morning. New girls at one end of run with food, old girls at other end with food :roll: The new girls do venture down occasionally but the old girls get a bit stroppy if they go too new their food and kind of 'mock charge' them until they toddle off back to their end - bless! Not too much pecking tho which is nice - just enough to keep the new girls in their place and mainly from Hester (2nd in command and suck up to Mildred - Mob boss). Mabel has also come out of her shell as she realises she's no longer bottom of the pecking order :D

Sprout just looks so small and lost bless her - she really is the baby of the family now