ubereglu

Revision Tips

Can antone give me any revision tips?

It's just I have my first science GCSE modular exam on Wednesday and I was wondering how people remembered things. Martin before you ask, yes I am in Year 9, but I'm doing accelerated Science!

Can you help? I've read through all of the section in my GCSE biology revision guide!!!

Yes it is but it can be about a theme too. :D

Say 'Reproduction' - put this in the middle of the page - this will act like the trunk of a tree.

Your first branch should be at the top on the right and link to the central theme e.g. 'Plants'

You can then have sub-branches coming off this e.g. Seed, germination, photosynthesis etc

Make sure all your branches are horizontal so its easier to read! 8)

It is really useful if you make each branch a different colour and add little pictures too - this makes the mindmap 'brain friendly' and therefore it should be easier to recall.

Use an A3 sheet the landscape way around.

You can then create mindmaps for each area of the science you are studying :D

Good Luck!!

personally i think u will be surprised

a)how much u remember under pressure

b)how little of what u revise will end up being on the tests!!

btw i LOVE your christmas cards as usual i love all ur stuff but the christmas cards are so adorable and funny and cool i love them

I used to write things on post-its and also on little Index Cards that you can carry around with you and read from time to time. I always found it very useful to get people to test me. Write down some key things on your revision cards and ask your parents or a friend or a sibling to test you by letting them use your revision cards as a basis for their questions.

Get a good night's sleep before your exams but, like Rachel, I found that the revision I did toward the end did stick in my head for the exams.

It was quite a long time ago now that I did mine but I'm sure the process is the same. Best of luck. Main thing is to keep focussed - the Omlet forum doesn't help I know :roll:

I used to write things on post-its and also on little Index Cards that you can carry around with you and read from time to time. I always found it very useful to get people to test me. Write down some key things on your revision cards and ask your parents or a friend or a sibling to test you by letting them use your revision cards as a basis for their questions.

Get a good night's sleep before your exams but, like Rachel, I found that the revision I did toward the end did stick in my head for the exams.

It was quite a long time ago now that I did mine but I'm sure the process is the same. Best of luck. Main thing is to keep focussed - the Omlet forum doesn't help I know :roll:

I second the "testing" theory. I used to swat for hours days running up to the exam and then get everyone to test me the day before/morning of exam. worked fine for me.

good luck :D

'To be or not to be that is the question'

Not the greatest quote to be reading while on the loo :lol::lol:

if you were on the loo, wouldn't it be...

"to pee or not to pee?" :wink:

Phil

Liz do you know how to mindmap?

I sometimes use mind-mapping software -

(though there are others around I think)

I use it to think through servuice plans and sermon themes - it really does help me organise and expand thoughts - particularly as i have been brought up with anl almost exclusively "linear" approach to problem solving... (probably to do with the maths & stats degree I did...)

I can really recommend it even if i am still not very good at it!! my missus is awesome at mind-maps

Phil

Here's the way I revised:

I get out the revision guide and read aloud the pages that have all of the information you need. Then I answer all of the questions that come at the end of the double pages and sections. Seems to work well with me.

Has to be read aloud though as you speak slower and it actually goes into your brain that way!!!