Paola

I want, I want, I want......

:dance::dance::dance: wooooo, hooooooo :dance::dance::dance:

Just confirmed that I will be collecting Bella on Thursday morning :dance: I am soooooo excited :dance: Just a couple of little bits to get for her now :D

You are so lucky Paola you must post pics. so we can admire her I would love a Maine Coon cat..................Just have to persuade my very old grumpy moggie, some how I don't think she would get along with another cat........... :roll:

You must be so excited Paola :):) our Storm is growing fast and only took about 4 days to settle with the older cats. She is definitely one of the family and I'm sure your beautiful Bella will settle in perfectly! Don't forget the pics on Thursday - will be watching out for them :D:D

I am hardly thinking about christmas at the mo, just getting Bella :roll: Even OH seems excited :shock: I will definitely be posting pics on Thursday :D

Bella seems to be settling in well. My two girls love her and I think the feeling is mutual :D I am yet to see her use the litter tray which worries me :shock: She is yet to meet the dog also :shock: The poor baby also cries :( This is worse then having children for worrying about them :roll: She will not pose for picks so sorry about the quality :wink:

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0399.jpg

Advice needed.

She seemed to settle well last night but still had not used the litter tray but I put that down to have eaten very little in the past 24 hours. She is still happy to play but does not like being handled. When I got up this morning I was a little concerned that the tray had still not been used. She did a wee on my daughter’s bed. So am off this morning to find a laundrette :roll: I have never had a cat or kitten that has never used a tray so any advice would be greatly received. She had the run of the upstairs of the house with her tray in the family bathroom. I have now shut her in the family bathroom with tray, food, bed and a couple of toys. Is that the correct thing to do? :?

Having never owned a cat im not too sure :? but what you have done with putting the cat in the bathroom with all its essentials - food, water, bed & litter tray is what i would do with a new puppy so they can associate a particular space as being 'safe'.

Im sure the cat owners amongst us could give some better advice but dont worry too much im sure you are doing a brilliant job! :D:D:D

Sorry - all our cats are outdoor cats. Sounds fine to me though.

I know with puppies that if they have a little 'accident' you dab a tissue in it and either place the tissue on a newspaper or in your case, in the litter tray or wipe it onto the newspaper, so that they recognise where to go.

Hopefully, a cat owner will be along soon.........

That's fine Paola. She just doesn't know where anything is yet. Keep her in 1 room for a bit with her litter tray, and keep placing her on it so she knows where to go. I'm sure that once she settles down and starts eating she will be fine. Do you have other cats that use a litter tray? If so it may help to put some used litter in her tray so she can smell what it is for. I'm sure your girls will play with her lots and she will become more confident and cry less - Storm cried for the first few days - I guess she missed her Cat Mum and wasnt sure of things :( but she soon stopped and now only cries when I haven't left her any food out :roll: You seem to be doing everything right so don't worry - it just takes a little while to settle down like any new arrival. She is absolutely gorgeous and she will grow into those paws you know :wink:

You need to stop her going into the bedrooms at night until she is used to the tray I'm afraid peeing on the bed is quite common as the duvet etc can be easily scratched into a toilet :roll:

Watch her in dark corners as well esp behind things like the TV is is very common for them to have problems finding the right place :shock:

You need to lift her onto the tray all the time and using her paws scratch the litter to dig a hole basically show her what to do :wink:

Don't shout at her for doing wrong patience is the key and much much praise when she does good this can take a few weeks so get plenty of cleaner in there is one you can get at pet shops to mask the smell to discourage her form using the same palce it smells like bubble gum 8)

Good luck :lol:

She looks so lovely Paola, I am so jealous....

Bellekatz and Louise both said exactly what I would do -

keep her in one room for a while

put her in the litter tray every time you see her, and scratch at the litter with her paws

Shut her in this room at night and try to ignore her if she cries - a warm water bottle usually helps them to settle down.

Whenever I've collected a kitten in the past, I've always taken their new blanket with me and rubbed it all over their mummy and their bed so that they take a familiar smell away with them.

Thank you for all your advice guys :D:wink: That’s exactly what she did Louise, scratch the duvet into a toilet!

I thought about putting some of the wee in her tray Lesley, but only after I had cleaned up :roll:

She is so much more relaxed in the bathroom :roll: I even managed a purr (Bella not me :shock: ), which was sooo loud :D I think I might have got the litter wrong also, so have brought some clumping stuff. I am just keeping my fingers crossed now that she uses the tray :pray:

Thanks again guys :wink: