The Dogmother

Pet insurance

we have piperkit insured :D

I phoned up for insurance on the day I had to take her to the vet with a broken foot, about 3 weeks after she had her caste off, she cut her tongue (think she was hit by a car :( )

didnt have any before then...

do you need any at the moment (there was no problem with me registering her then claiming the same day) :whistle:

cathy

x

I changed to Tesco (boo hiss) as it was a lot cheaper than Scottish Pet Insurance. Four or so years later it's more than doubled (but I didn't really notice :roll: ).

We pay over £15 per month for Riley and have an excess of £120.

When he fell off the cliff and dislocated his hip needing treatment then 9 days cage rest at the vets we were hoping for a big bill to make the insurance worthwhile.

The bill was only £136.33 :roll::shock: . I've claimed the £16.33 on principle :evil: .

I'm tempted to cancel but he's covered for a year for anything arising from that accident :? .

Im with pet plan we pay £19 a month for the gold insurance for our two cats. Our vets will claim the money directly from them as well but no other insurance company so thats the main reason we used them.. I had to claim up to around £2500 when out last cat Boots was ill last year and had no problems the vet dealt with it all i just had letters from pet plan to say when and what they had paid them! You can usually get offers with them as well, i got my first 3 months free. i think the current offer is a month free...

We have Sainsburys for the Cat, which is reasonable and offers good cover for a low excess. We have not claimed yet (she says whilst touching wood)

For the Dog we have Halifax, I would have changed but we can't get insurance elsewhere due to his age, but they nearly doubled the premium in Dec at the renewal :x We were tempted to cancel it, as they refused a claim when he needed teeth out (called it wear and tear!), however, I was able to claim when he had a Vestibular Syndrome attack in April.

I use Pet Plan too, and my one cat Kirby, had a problem and ended up with crystals in his kidneys so he couldn't wee :( we had to take him to an emergency vets, he had to have an operation and recovery time and Pet Plan paid up promptly. My vets are :angel: , he had to have his op end of July and we paid £50 excess, the renewal was August and the vets made sure we only paid one lot of excess although it should have been 2 because we were claiming over the new years insurance. We have 3 cats all insured and our excess is £60 or £65, bit eaasier to find than £120 ANH!

We are with MoreThan, pay £13 per month, £75 excess. They paid out for Maisy when she was attacked by another dog and needed seven stitches and when she was head-butted by a border collie and chipped a piece of bone in her knee.

However, they do not cover behavioural problems, which we found out too late, to the tune of £600!! :shock: (Direct Line and Pet Plan cover that)

We are with Petplan cover for life with both dogs, because with mixed breeds you never know what their genetic problems may be and if they develope anything serious needing life long treatment for example diabetes etc. then they remain covered rather than being refused due to on going conditions.

It's not cheap but when Alfie gashed his leg open jumping over bits of fence the vet treated him and claimed the fees direct from the insurance company :D

Karen x

Claret, PLEASE PLEASE look at the small print.

The single most important thing is lifelong cover for chronic illness because this is the area that most insurance companies fall down on badly. If you are claiming for such treatment, whatever your excess is, you will have to pay that at each policy anniversary anyway. But a lot of insurance companies will only cover a single condition for a year then exclude it :shock:

Now what a year means is up to the company. It may mean a year or it may mean a policy year. So if your pet is ill the day before a policy anniversary you will be able to claim for one days treatment then that condition will be excluded. :shock::shock::shock:

I have had insurance companies excluding ANY treatment for ANY leg condition if you have claimed on the repair of a minor wound, thus precluding ANY claim for say an RTA in years to come.

CAVEAT EMPTOR

I must say that of all the companies I ever crossed swords with ... and this I did on most days ... Pet Plan gave me and the client the least bother.

PS Having your vet paid directly by the insurance company is great. I only ever did that with PetPlan because I knew, I just knew that I would spend weeks wrangling with anybody else.

You don't know how ridiculous it feels arguing with some barely trained young girl over the phone about the semantics of a claim form :wall:

OK rant over

Claret, PLEASE PLEASE look at the small print.

The single most important thing is lifelong cover for chronic illness because this is the area that most insurance companies fall down on badly. If you are claiming for such treatment, whatever your excess is, you will have to pay that at each policy anniversary anyway. But a lot of insurance companies will only cover a single condition for a year then exclude it :shock:

Now what a year means is up to the company. It may mean a year or it may mean a policy year. So if your pet is ill the day before a policy anniversary you will be able to claim for one days treatment then that condition will be excluded. :shock::shock::shock:

I have had insurance companies excluding ANY treatment for ANY leg condition if you have claimed on the repair of a minor wound, thus precluding ANY claim for say an RTA in years to come.

CAVEAT EMPTOR

I must say that of all the companies I ever crossed swords with ... and this I did on most days ... Pet Plan gave me and the client the least bother.

PS Having your vet paid directly by the insurance company is great. I only ever did that with PetPlan because I knew, I just knew that I would spend weeks wrangling with anybody else.

You don't know how ridiculous it feels arguing with some barely trained young girl over the phone about the semantics of a claim form :wall:

OK rant over

...all good advice

This couldnt have come at a better time as my free plans I got with Yogy will soon end and I need to take up one that I will be paying for.

The other day in the vets I mention this to the recpetionist and she said they cant reccomend but said she couldnt say strongly enough to make sure it was for life (assume she meant that if it developed, say diabetes, that it would always receive cover for diabetes).

Now how I go about checking this with companies is another thing, as mentioned sometimes you just dont get the right help on the other end of the phone.

Pet plan sounds good though!

Michelle

We are with M&S for both our cats and they have been brilliant. They even paid mileage when we had to take them to a second referral vet.

A vet I used to visit left practice to go and work for an insurance company and she recommended going with any company underwritten by AXA. M&S used to be but now aren't. Greenbee (part of John Lewis) currently are underwritten by AXA. That said, we didn't notice any change when M&S moved away from AXA - in fact, the level of service seemed to improve.

Also, to reiterate what others have said about checking that the policy provides lifetime cover and not just for a set period (usually a year) or a set amount. As far as I know, there are only four companies that provide this:

- PetPlan

- M&S

- Greenbee

- One other that I can't remember the name of!

There's a useful article on pet insurance at MoneySavingExpert http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/cut-pet-insurance-costs

Rob