pdcambs

Beehaus Identity

With the recent increase in hive thefts, fueled by publicity about rising honey prices, I wonder if Omlet could serialize their new hives so that ownership is traceable. I've no idea how they could do this, but once the honey thieves realize that not only is the honey in a hive worth some money, but the hive itself is valuable, they are likely to look out for Beehaus's (especially as some have mentioned recently that out apiaries might be the way to go if you have a small garden)

If stamping a serial number into the hive parts is not possible then why not print a serial number onto the underside of the roof. I know this would need a little more to set up and then link serial numbers to specific customers as part of the ordering system, but it would represent an "added value" to owning a Beehaus.

Just an idea........

I was just about to suggest using one of those anti theft UV pens, it sounds like a good idea for the eglu too :D

This may sound ridiculous but its just an idea! :lol:

Could they use a similar system to microchips used in cats and dogs in that it was incorporated into the beehaus, and each has a different ID code or similar to the electronic tags in sheep?

Could they use a similar system to microchips used in cats and dogs or similar to the electronic tags in sheep?

Not ridiculous at all but you need something visible like a post code.

If you have a hidden transponder you need an expensive reader.

I remember once implanting an Identichip in a cat and the owner asked if you could monitor her pet's perambulations via satellite :lol::lol:

I think she thought it was like a car Tracer in miniature

I wonder if a badger might take a liking to the honey inside? Does that happen?

Badger attacks on hives are rare, but they do happen. More often it's woodpeckers drilling holes in the side of hives to get at the grubs during the winter, or mice chewing their way in and nesting, again over the winter.

I wonder if a badger might take a liking to the honey inside? Does that happen?

Badger attacks on hives are rare, but they do happen. More often it's woodpeckers drilling holes in the side of hives to get at the grubs during the winter, or mice chewing their way in and nesting, again over the winter.

Another benefit of a plastic hive I would have to say.... :lol:

If you knew you didnt want to sell it on in the future you could de-face it

When I was burgled I engraved the word 'stolen' and my surname on many of my possessions to make them worthless

It back-fired on me when I wanted to sell my sat nav on ebay though :lol::lol:

Could they use a similar system to microchips used in cats and dogs or similar to the electronic tags in sheep?

Not ridiculous at all but you need something visible like a post code.

If you have a hidden transponder you need an expensive reader.

I remember once implanting an Identichip in a cat and the owner asked if you could monitor her pet's perambulations via satellite :lol::lol:

I think she thought it was like a car Tracer in miniature

Good idea to find lost pets though! :lol:

Maybe the electronic button sheep tags (can't remember the proper name) would be better then as they have a microchip and are written on aswell :think: