The Dogmother

Bbbbrrrr

Lesley says

t's only exciting for a short while though and then you have to put your feet onto cold lino Wink ......... and get dressed quickly to get downstairs to the fire....... or take your clothes down so that you can get dressed in front of the fire.......

It's uncanny, Lesley, you are describing part of my childhood!

The worst bit was stepping onto cold lino!

Carpet in a bedroom, apart from a rug.....was an unheard of luxury!!!

I'm old enough to remember frost patterns like that on the inside of my bedroom window :roll:

We used to live in an old Police house as a child, and had frost on the inside of the windows too :shock:

during a long cold spell it would thaw during the day and run to the bottom, and then freeze again at night, building up gradually over a few weeks untill I could hardly see out :lol:

My sisters an I would race down to get the best spot infront of the fire to get dressed :lol:

I think my parents would build up the fire somehow to keep it lit all

night :?

karen x

Yes Karen, they would have put the slack on the fire to keep it just ticking over all night .......

Now, only Egluntine will know what I'm talking about :lol: - and maybe a couple more.... :roll:

I can remember living in a house without central heating and having a gas heater in the bedroom i shared with my brother. One morning i put my school tie over the side of the heater & it set alight :shock: my form tutor was not impressed that i had set fire to it! :lol::lol::lol:

I remember all those things too. My bedroom window had leaded lights, and the frost used to look so lovely. I remember wearing lots of warm clothes to bed and having two hot water bottles! Dressing in front of the fire - now there's a memory *sighs*, and my daddy blowing in my gloves to warm them up before I went to school. I was born in the winter of 1962/3 - one of the worst and my first day at school was in the January of 1968, I remember the snow being so high that it went over the tops of my little red wellies and i had to be carried to school. (funny that I can't remember what I was doing 5 minutes ago!)

It's the same here as for Claire and Lesley - freezing fog. The lids on my wheelie bins were frozen shut this morning. I am looking out at the boxhedge outside the office (finish work at noon) and it's laced with pretty frozen cobwebs :D

Well here in Manchester it's not freezing and we have no fog. Doesn;t help as my friend who was supposed to be visiting from Lichfield doesnt want to come now as there is fog to the south of us so we wont see her until nect week :( Mind you, that means Christmas pressies spreading over until next Wednesday :lol:

I remember having icicles on the inside of my bedroom window every winter as a child - I had no heating in my room, just lots of blankets (no duvets then!) and getting dressed to go to bed with socks and cardigans on sometimes. :):):)

Gosh, this has brought back some memories! I remember the wooden floor, and checking for jack frost on the inside of the window, AND running dowstairs to get dressed in front of the fire! I also remember how cold it used to be when getting into bed! Hiding under the covers and blowing to try to warm things up. But I think we were fortunate as I also remember having central heating installed - it must have been about 1968 - and the gurgles from the pipes scaring me in the night! :roll::lol:

I remember going to bed really, really late in the winter because it was so cold I didn't want to leave the fire in the sitting room - that was the only heating we had in the house! I had to re-do my hot water bottle because I'd sat by the fire so long, it had gone cold!

And one day, I actually had snow on the bottom of my bed because the window was so single-glazed! They were very chilly times!

I would like to confirm to everyone not living near Lesley that the fog there yesterday was truly terrible. Driving back towards Banbury in the dark was absolutely horrendous as I just couldn't see where the road went. A lorry had come off the road on one of the big corners going up the hill (Sunrise hill or something like that!). Then when we got to Banbury it was just as grid-locked as it had been when we came through at lunch-time.

BUT, it was lovely to meet up with Lesley and Carl and all the family! Oliver looked great, but rather small against the ewes! And we brought home a delicious-looking turkey too :D I am totally mad to drive 200 miles to buy a turkey - but I still think this turkey will be even better than a mass-produced organic bird. We know for sure it had a good life with lots of space and not many others to share with. :D

Today, it is sunny down here. I don't envy you the fog - it is sad not to be able to see anything.

I am totally mad to drive 200 miles to buy a turkey - but I still think this turkey will be even better than a mass-produced organic bird. We know for sure it had a good life with lots of space and not many others to share with. :D

Ooooh! all those food miles Ginette :wink::lol: I hope your family enjoy the turkey. It was nice to see you all yesterday.

The fog was worse today, we could hardly see the chickens. Sunrising Hill is treacherous at the best of times - and the Governments new route map for lorries directs them along that road from Banbury to Stratford :roll: There have been numerous accidents because of it :?

Banbury was so bad yesterday because there were a couple of bad accidents on the motorway, and it was closed so all the traffic came through town - on market day too!!! :twisted:

We've had a pea-souper all day except for an hour at lunchtime when it lifted and was beautiful for half an hour. Banbury is in a basin so the fog gets trapped if there isn't any wind. The park is only 50 yards from my office, but I couldn't see it from my window at all!

We saw one of the accidents - which closed the southbound M40 from 12-6pm.

It was horrible. A lorry had hit the back of a transporter and driven quite a way up the ramp. The cabin was completely wrecked and I'm not sure that anyone could have survived. :( We saw an ambulance with flashing lights leaving though, so maybe he was lucky.