Guest chookiehen

Edinburgh Get Together.

Which date would be better for you?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which date would be better for you?

• First Saturday in March
    • First Saturday in April

I work for the airline flybe. we fly to edinburgh from southampton/exeter/birmingham. i would recommend when booking ANY airline to -

BOOK ASAP

fly if you can on non peak days and non peak times to get cheaper tickets (ie Friday teatime/sun teatime flights will be popular and expensive)

Dont forget photo id (check with your airline) but you dont have to have a passport (Photo d.licence ok)

have a great time folks :D

any questions about flying - ask moi :lol:

Thanks Louise, I've checked those. But with flights and accommodation it's going to be too expensive; I think we might have to give it a miss :?

Thanks for the tip Chelsea, but we don't have any alternative but to travel at those times :?

Looks like we won't be there folks (unless I get a lottery win for Christmas) - too much money - shame as we'd have loved to come :(

Thanks Louise, I've checked those. But with flights and accommodation it's going to be too expensive; I think we might have to give it a miss :?

A family railcard slashes the price of rail travel. Why don't you pop into the local railway travel centre and ask them to price the journey for you (including the railcard)?

:)

Only if you're travelling with a child.

I am not sure that flying is a greener mode of travel than driving, Andrew.

However, I can get to Edinburgh and back in a day by plane for £72. The train costs more and I would have to travel on Friday as it takes so long, so then I would incur hotel costs too. I think I may come to the same conclusion as Clare, very sadly, as I would LOVE to visit Edinburgh.

Oh dear, I've not checked out flights etc yet, but I'd be likely looking at the same flights as you Ginette, so the expense would be the same. I did think that it might be a bit unrealistic for me right at the start, but was really, really hoping that I might be able to make it. I might see if there's any deals from Stanstead, or even Luton as they're probably not much further from me than Gatwick is.

I'm struggling with train times :(

I can get a GNER train from Aberdeen to Edinburgh at 07.55am. I am over 2 hours away from Aberdeen. I can't find a Scotrail timetable to get me from Elgin to Aberdeen (early O'clock me thinks :shock: )

Anyway :roll: I will probably have about 4 or 5 hours in Edinburgh before I head off back home.

I am still thinking about staying overnight somewhere which will make things a bit easier.

Another option is to drive :? The road through the mountains is hellish at that time of year if it is snowing and the police close the snow gates :shock: We have been stuck in snow there in May :shock: Bring on global waming I say :wink:

Dan said:

at least then you will have relaible information (the railway telephone enquiries and websites are absolutely USELESS)... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

I so totally agree with you! Different answers wherever you go! :evil::evil:

Dan, it is very kind of you to get some reliable info for us southerners. I look forward to hearing the news! Milton Keynes however is quite a long way from me - I'm not even quite sure where it is :oops: It's somewhere up there in the middle sort of thing!

Looks like just Louise & Shona as definites, possibly joined by a couple of intrepid travellers. :lol:

As I said before, the date is probably impossible for me, but I couldn't resist looking up train details (I've caught the bug from somewhere :wink: )

It would be easy for me, despite the distance, as it's direct from King's Cross, GNER!, which is only 20 mins on Thameslink from here (same line as Luton and also Sth of London (&Ginette!), now called something forgettable & awkward to say, First Capital Connect...no one locally refers to that name).

My total time would be approx 5 to 5 and half hours, not bad. But, I think the cost will be a lot, which often makes flying much cheaper from here :roll: I'm only 10 miles from Luton airport (it's getting nearer, due to expand :evil: ) but would much rather take the train for at least 3 reasons, but Easyjet offers can be so tempting.

Off to check prices now. Even if I can't make this one, perhaps another time!

Well, Phil says that he has found some cheap flights, but until I call Virgin trains, I can't be sure which is cheaper. We probably won't be bringing Rosie as it's a weekend that she's with her Dad and he's usually reluctant to let me have her :?

We might be sorted regarding accommodation though :D , so I will discuss it with Phil this weekend. I love Edinburgh and would like to go up on Friday after work and come back on Sunday if possible to maximise the amount of time there.

We'll see - if it's going to be expensive, we might not be able to make it as there's no spare dosh this year :?:(

Dan, it is very kind of you to get some reliable info for us southerners. I look forward to hearing the news! Milton Keynes however is quite a long way from me - I'm not even quite sure where it is :oops: It's somewhere up there in the middle sort of thing![/color]

I only picked Milton Keynes because I thought you were in Luton; I will get the details from London Euston which will probably be easiest. :D

Thank you Dan. :)

I actually live 2 miles from Gatwick Airport, but I can get a train from here direct to Luton. 8)

In Dans absence (he is having lunch on the Severn Valley Railway, he has a hard life :roll: )I am posting this re: train fares to Scotland

You will need to book a Virgin Value Fare

From London Euston - Glasgow. (Make your own way to Euston and also Glasgow to Edinburgh)

You will need to pre-book 6 weeks in advance

The cost is £17.50 for a single ticket so you need to buy another for the return journey

Hope that makes sense :)

Debs, that's a really good price!

I must admit though, flying is the best way to get there. We've done both and I wouldn't go by car in one journey again. I'd like to be able to have an overnight stay half way somewhere. It's a heck of a long way.

If we come it will be a last minute decison, flight prices pending.

We're definitely going - even if this doesn't come off, we'll go and pester Louise :D

We're going to go for a few days - and as Carl won't go anywhere now without his little black baby :roll: - we'll be driving up.

Ah that's lovely just like us Lesley, except ours in brown :D:wink:

BBx

:? ...re Dan/Ginette....see my earlier post! Ginette is on the same line as me, with King's Cross as a mutual train change. It's direct from there to Edinburgh!

Have checked the prices...about £99, from St.Albans to Edinburgh, with just the one change (plus walk from KC. Thameslink to KC main) which is not too bad once you have found the best train. Some of them take over 7 hrs, it may cost more at the faster times of day, I'd check further if the actual going was possible!

Although Easyjet sounds cheaper, there are single flights @ £17 & £25, by the time you add those with tax etc, plus journeys to & from airport (I can walk to station) it won't be a lot different. However, I'd fancy a 5 hr train ( instead of 1 or so hour flight!) but maybe not 7 or 8!

Debs, that's great to have found the info, and maybe Euston is good for some. Will you be Birmingham New Street? That's direct too isn't it? Or is that the wrong train co? :oops: I'm getting out of my depth!

Ali, it's still a long way/awkward journey for you isn't it? But likely to be your nearest meet!

I do hope it happens for a Scotland meet, although I may not get there myself this time.

Anyone fairly north England thinking of going?

I have no idea of trains either Sheila, Dan asked me to put that info on the thread

We are Wolverhampton and the train is direct for us, especially if we leave at some extremely early hour, but it is a reasonably good journey of about 4 hours, so should be in Scotland for lunchtime drinkies

I found a flight price last night of £55. I could arrive in Edinburgh at 8:30 am!!!!! and catch a plane home at 20:20. I should be in my house by 10:30pm. That is certainly a good day's worth out for £55

With the prices Dan quoted, it would cost £35 for a return from Euston to Edinburgh plus £20 for a return journey to Euston plus a hotel bill. That makes it more expensive by train and also a night away from home.

I was wondering about catching a night-train. Would I be likely to get any sleep? If I took at least one child, would my family railcard help?

Just had a bit more of a look; to travel by rail costs £60-£80 return in advance (have to boook tickets by 24/12 though as prices go up after that), but it takes 5.5 hours from Banbury :shock:

Flights from Birmingham are about £130 return

Accommodation; Thistle hotel edinburgh weekend break £198 for two people for 2 nights B&B, or travelodge edinburgh central £140 for two people for 2 nights, no breakfast though

Will try and look for a cheaper B&B near the centre - any ideas anyone?

Try virgin trains website. They have fairly cheap fares.