Guest Poet

Open University

I started 'Y160 Making Sense of the Arts' a cple of weeks ago via The OU and am really enjoying it.

I just wondered if anybody on here had done any OU courses, which course did you take and what did you think of it?

I started 'Y160 Making Sense of the Arts' a cple of weeks ago via The OU and am really enjoying it.

I just wondered if anybody on here had done any OU courses, which course did you take and what did you think of it?

:clap::clap: That's great Poet, I think you'll love it.

Several years ago I studied part time over 8 years (incl. one year off) to complete a degree which is Psychology based. My first year was an arts foundation course & I intended to do an English degree. But, in those days, one had to take 2 foundation courses. So, my 2nd year was Social Sciences & I continued in Psychology & didn't do the English at all.

Meanwhile, the format has changed a lot, my essays were handwritten at the beginning and there was no internet!

However, my daughter has embarked on a couple of couses & it seems as good as ever.

I have nothing but praise for the OU, it really makes you think not just learn facts.

it was a bit daunting when i received all my course books and DVD, there seemed to be so much to work through but it's a course designed to introduce you to degree level study (as well as studying the arts) and I'm beginning to really enjoy it. There's an OU course forum and a facebook group so you can exhange ideas with other students on the same course and I had a call from my tutor this evening so it's beginning to feel a bit less scary :D

What's your daughter studying Sheila?

The company I work for will pay for a degree or masters course and as you have to combine it with working full time most people opt for an OU course. Several of my workmates are doing courses and are thoroughly enjoying them but are finding the demands on their time greater than was originally expected

I wish somebody would pay for mine! :lol:

:lol: yes they can be expensive!

Our company also pay for books etc and you get time off each week for study, if you pass they also give you company stock - its all very forward thinking :D the idea is that if you feel fulfilled you will enjoy work more and also that a better educated workforce is a huge bonus

I have never had the time to take them up on the offer though....maybe if I spent less time on the forum........?

I wish somebody would pay for mine! :lol:

:lol: yes they can be expensive!

Our company also pay for books etc and you get time off each week for study, if you pass they also give you company stock - its all very forward thinking :D the idea is that if you feel fulfilled you will enjoy work more and also that a better educated workforce is a huge bonus

I have never had the time to take them up on the offer though....maybe if I spent less time on the forum........?

wow, does what you study have to be job related though?

yes its incredible - obviously you have to stay with the company for the duration of the course which benefits them as they dont have to replace you or retrain your replacement and knowledge and experience is retained but as they are a good employer its not really a hardship :lol:

I have done quite a few courses

S196- genetics

E123, E124, E115, E230, E243, E215, KE312- for Early Years degree

Really enjoyed all courses and will probably start again next year, don't know what with yet

I did E123 and E124 I think with the OU but now I am doing a Foundation Degree with the University of Derby again Early Years.

I also did a short webdesign course with the OU, I enjoyed that I learnt so much.

Good Luck Poet with your course.

It is finding the time to fit studying that is the tricky bit :D I should be studying now :oops:

Chrissie

hey

I've currently done AA100 the arts past and present and i am working on A219 discovering the classical world. I'm really really enjoying the one i'm working on at the moment but i hated the first one. It's a compulsory for my degree (history) but it is fairly heavily focused on art and english which are important subjects but not what i want to study. I also had a bad tutor who was a pain and wouldn't mark things and wouldn't answer emails. Twas a nightmare but i'm enjoying the current one :)

I get lucky as with a low income the fees are paid for me :)

I did 6 short courses in sciences (fossils, mammals, oceans, archaeology, astronomy and planets...phew!) which gained me a certificate and more letters after my name 8) then I did a longer science course (more letters!) :D . Just started on my level 2 courses now, working towards an open degree with hons (never too late !). I just love Open Uni and its sooo addictive! To treat me when I completed all my level one courses my b/f got me an Open Uni sweatshirt- I love it .

Good luck to anyone doing a course, and....for those thinking about it....JUST DO IT!

Jan N.N.E.B, Cert Con Sci (open), Cert Nat Sci (open) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance::dance:

Im not doing an OU degree, but am doing a full time degree at uni. I'm in my final year of a 4 year course, plus a year i did at college to get me the qualification i needed to get into uni so its taken me 5 years in total. Its been tough doing that with 3 kids as well, but im almost there!

Good luck to all the students whatever you might be studying!

hey

I've currently done AA100 the arts past and present and i am working on A219 discovering the classical world. I'm really really enjoying the one i'm working on at the moment but i hated the first one. It's a compulsory for my degree (history) but it is fairly heavily focused on art and english which are important subjects but not what i want to study. I also had a bad tutor who was a pain and wouldn't mark things and wouldn't answer emails. Twas a nightmare but i'm enjoying the current one :)

I get lucky as with a low income the fees are paid for me :)

I want to do AA100 next! LOL

if you're on facbook, e-mail me your link, would be good to hook up (in the virtual sense) :D

I did 6 short courses in sciences (fossils, mammals, oceans, archaeology, astronomy and planets...phew!) which gained me a certificate and more letters after my name 8) then I did a longer science course (more letters!) :D . Just started on my level 2 courses now, working towards an open degree with hons (never too late !). I just love Open Uni and its sooo addictive! To treat me when I completed all my level one courses my b/f got me an Open Uni sweatshirt- I love it .

Good luck to anyone doing a course, and....for those thinking about it....JUST DO IT!

Jan N.N.E.B, Cert Con Sci (open), Cert Nat Sci (open) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance::dance:

:clap::dance:

Im not doing an OU degree, but am doing a full time degree at uni. I'm in my final year of a 4 year course, plus a year i did at college to get me the qualification i needed to get into uni so its taken me 5 years in total. Its been tough doing that with 3 kids as well, but im almost there!

Good luck to all the students whatever you might be studying!

brilliant, well done!

I have done two OU courses. The first one was many years ago when I did a Diploma inHealth and Social Science ( or some such title). I don't think they do that now. Then I did a french course before we came to France. I really enjoyed both of them. My loved one did an astronomy one too which he thought was great. We both found their system of teaching excellent.

We would both like to do more, but as we no longer live in the UK the cost of the courses is too high. We are learning pottery at the moment though, so we are not completely idle!!Do hope all goes well for all of you who are studying.4.gif

I did W100 - Introduction to Law a couple of years ago. I really enjoyed it although it was tough going at times. I highly recommend trying to get ahead of the study plan in case something happens whereby you have less time to study one week, oh, and if they have tutorials on your course, I'd recommend going to them as it's great to meet others doing the same course and easier to clear up any confusions when the tutor is directly in front of you :D

Good luck and have fun.