Minky

Advice needed - dog nail clipping...

Hi all, you've always been so helpful re. the hens I thought I'd trouble you about our new edition, Poppy, the Saluki/Greyhound cross pup.

I've just trimmed her nails for the first time, I did all the reading up before hand and only did a very small amount. She was good as gold but wiggled on the last paw and I clipped it abit short and just caught the quick. I immediately put pressure on it with a clean tissue, it stopped bleeding after a few seconds, so I bathed it in warm salt water and dabbed with t-tree oil, and she seems fine (is asleep on my lap as I type).

What I'm worried about is infection - some online advice mentions bandaging the foot for a few days with frequent dressing changes. Should I do this? I have every intention on keeping an eye on the foot to make sure no soreness or swelling occurs, it just seems a little extreme for something that has stopped bleeding and seems to be causing her no bother (she's let me file the clipped nails smooth since). Has anyone else had experience of this and can advise?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Some pics of my little one . . .

3997911317_cc103b2e2d.jpg

"FOUND YOU" says Enid, "Now you count and I'll hide"...

4010485651_efda618e20.jpg

... "One, two, three, four ...."

Edited by Guest

She is 20 weeks now - she was more like 16 when those pics were taken tho, little thing! And yes, lucky re. the staying still, but she is a VERY good girl, very eager to learn and please (spot the loved up new dog owner!) I was so worried about the responsibility of getting a dog - it's the first time I've owned one as working from home now allowed it - and I'm sooo pleased we went for it! She is a total joy :D

My Henry pulled a nail out once (caught it one the cube run before we had the WIR) and it bled something terrible. I phoned the vet and they suggested putting an old clean sock on the paw for a day or two to prevent infection.

However, Henry was not prepared to wear a sock :roll: and he was fine and dandy :D

I absolutely LOVE the pictures, do Enid and Poppy often play hide and seek :?::wink:

Thank you, that's reassuring, especially as this is nothing like as bad as a whole nail off!

I've not allowed her off lead around the hennies yet as she's so full of (too rough for hens) play, but they see each other every day, and it's quite usual to find them all hanging out 'together' - two of her beds are by patio doors so Poppy will sit on one side and the hens gather on the other about as close to the glass as they can get, quite a strange 'flock'!

You should be fine if the bleeding has stopped. You can get blood stop products that are good to have on hand when clipping which obviously spot bleeding straight away. Generally if you gently squeeze where you intend cutting with the clippers the dog will wince if you are going too short. Doesn't work with every dog though as some wince anyway as they hate having their nails clipped and some are just whimps :lol: I just take the 'hooked' part off mine. Really lovely photos :D

We cut one of our dogs nails too short and it was fine after it had stopped bleding. She's very good to let youdo her nails. Our Lab has to go to the vet and it takes three people cos he pulls his paw away so much. One to hold the dog,one to hold his paw and one to clip his nails.

We used to have an old Lab girl who was like that, the vet even tried going out to the car & giving her a pedicure in there...............only the once though :shock::wink:

Poppy creates merry hell for anyone else, but lays like an angel for me......suits me fine, saves me money and I have corn flour on hand should I do the dreaded "too short" trick :oops:

Sha x

Is it a Lab thing?? - Jazz is terrible and no matter how many times we use treats and only pretend to clip her nails, night after night, she still pulls away when we try to cut them. I did wonder about the battery operated file thingy but I doubt we'd get it anywhere near Jazz.

Thanks for all the advice guys - to update I didn't try to bandage (was worried that would attract her attention to worrying the foot and start it bleeding again) and didn't take her out for the rest of the evening (just quick up garden toilets) and she has been totally fine!

Glad I didn't let the panic and paranoia take over, poor little sausage came very close to a full body cast and a plastic surgical collar for an over trimmed toe nail :oops: