Space Chick

Persistant Broody advice

Susan my Silkie has now been broody for a fortnight, and for the last 9 days has been in the broody cage during the day and in the cube at night (as it is so cold).

She will not snap out of it, and I am worried that she will lose condition and become ill.

I am also worried, as we are going away for Christmas and my in laws are coming up to look after them, they will not want to be doing "broody cage duty" if she hasn't snapped out of it by then.

I know its too cold to dunk her belly in cold water.

Any other suggestions on how I could stop her broodiness?

We heard that if you put them in a broody cage and hang it, from a tree for example, by a few feet then this shakes them out of being broody. It's something about the broody realising it wouldn't be a safe environment for chicks.... :think:

We've never tried it though, only heard about this method - have you got a handy tree? :D

The biggest problem here is yourself Space Chick.......which sounds terribly rude and I don't mean it to be. In order to break a broody you need to put them in the sin bin/broody cage and leave them there not feel sorry for them and take them out every night, which is achieving absolutely nothing. The broody needs to be in a situation where she can't get warm and cosy. You are offering her warm and cosy every night and are now considering stringing her up in a tree because you haven't used the broody cage properly....................Put her in the broody cage and leave her in it for at least 3 days and nights. Sorry to shout. You sometimes have to be cruel to be kind.

Macfoy

HI Macfoy - since I suggested the tarzan approach , I'll make the first response :D

There has already been a previous thread when Spacechick was asking exactly the question of whether her broody should stay in the sin bin overnight and we all advised 'NO'. The nights in question were far too harsh and in addition to potentially distressing the chook, it would certainly have distressed Spacechick!

There isn't a tried and tested '3 days in the sin bin and all is cured', I'm afraid. I think Spacechick is doing what she thinks best with the backing (and whacky ideas :lol: ) of other omleteers.

My silkie cross has just stopped being broody after six weeks. She has lost quiet a bit of weight and condition but she seems ok and is now eating like mad. I put her in a cage on her own during the day but back in with the others at night as like you I thought it was too cold for her on her own. She suddenly snapped out of it when the temperature dropped. Hope yours doesn't stay broody for too long.

HI Macfoy - since I suggested the tarzan approach , I'll make the first response :D

There has already been a previous thread when Spacechick was asking exactly the question of whether her broody should stay in the sin bin overnight and we all advised 'NO'. The nights in question were far too harsh and in addition to potentially distressing the chook, it would certainly have distressed Spacechick!

There isn't a tried and tested '3 days in the sin bin and all is cured', I'm afraid. I think Spacechick is doing what she thinks best with the backing (and whacky ideas :lol: ) of other omleteers.

Oh well I would apologise, but I already did do in my post in anticipation of being told off :) I also said at least 3 days and nights in the sin bin not 3...........and I also said you sometimes have to be cruel to be kind.

Putting a bird in the sin bin and then taking out at night is quite frankly a waste of time. The bird needs to cool off. Their body temperature rises with broodiness and the idea of the sin bin is to keep them cool and not allow them to become warm and cosy. I'm sure you know this.

Tom has suggested the best option. Sin bin day and night, indoors if no-where else, a poop tray underneath if necessary.

Sorry Space Chick I really wouldn't want to upset you but sometimes you just have to do these things.....

Macfoy

And whatever you decide SpaceChick you're right to be concerned. My bro has just lost a silkie who was broody on and off for 6 weeks, she lost a lot of condition, and then was exposed to the opposite problem - an Australian heatwave. A visit from an over-enthusiastic dog which got loose seems to have given her such a fright it finished her off. They are first time chook keepers and now realise they should have intervened with her sooner. Good Luck, I'm sure you'll sort it out.