Boris70

Marj has just died

Marj, my little buff pekin bantam has just died and I feel just awful.

We've been away on holiday, and the neighbours have been looking after them for us while we;ve been away. We got back home at 7pm this evening, and I went straight to the eglu to see how they were... and found Marj slumped in the nest box. I thought she was dead already, but when I took her inside - she was all limp, and making no effort to do anything. No signs on her at all, apart from a lot of bubbles in her beak - but her nose and eyes were clear.

We put her in a box in the warm, and checked on her 20 minutes later - and she'd gone.

Now I'm panicking about the other 3 girls (we've checked them over and they seem fine), and I'm feeling really guilty - because maybe if we were here we would have noticed any signs sooner. And to top it all off - the neighbour who looked after them for us came round as we were checking the others grils over - and said "they're fine - all out today" we didn't have the heart to tell her Marj was really poorly - and so not ok.

Any ideas what it could of been to get her so quickly?

Boris so sorry to hear about poor Marj, sounds like she had some kind of an infection, I would keep a close eye on the others, which I am sure you do anyway.............Chickens can hide their symptoms so well that your neighbour may not have seen the signs, Marj may have looked well in the morning, these things can happen so fast, don't feel too bad about being away I am sure you are a very good chicken keeper, and that Marj had a very happy life with you and your family....

Hi so sorry to hear this sad news. We lost our little Buff pekin last year, she was ill when we returned from holiday too. I sobbed my heart out. Keep and eye on the others but sometimes one is just a bit weaker and becomes susceptible to illness.

Hugs

BB xx

Boris, so sorry to hear your news. I know nothing about chicken illness, being new to the game, and can only offer sympathy - but thank goodness you were there for her at the end. No matter how painful I find it, I'm always grateful to have the chance to be with my pets when they leave me.

Thinking of you.

Serena Rivett

Sorry to hear about Marj.

Please try not to feel guilty, unfortunately sometimes these things just happen. I'm sure she was very well looked after, loved and cared for and if your neighbour saw her out and about in the morning I'm also sure that she can't have suffered greatly.

Hope the other chooks are ok

That's sad, Vicki, sorry to hear about Marj.

As others have said, apart from keeping an eye on the others, there's probably not a lot more you can do at the moment. It may be that it wasn't something infectious, but best to keep a close watch.

Thinking of you.

:cry:

Sue x

So very sorry to hear about poor Marj :( .

I can't add any extra words of wisdom about what happened to her, but hens don't have a very effective immune system and can be vulnerable to illness, which they disguise very well until quite late in the process. Quite possibly your neighbour, not being as in tune with them as you are, quite simply didn't recognise that she wasn't well. Or maybe as Clare suggested it was something very rapid like a heart attack which no one would have seen coming.

So nice though that Marj died with you, warm and peaceful and feeling treasured. Quiet dignity and love, that's a real bonus at the end of any life.