Reikiranf

Mouldy Bokashi bran.

Yesterday I went to make some porridge for the girls and as I poured the bokashi into their bowl I saw blue mould on it :vom: Obviously the whole lot went in the bin which was a shame as I'd only bought it at the end of September :( I'm a bit worried now as it was a dodgy batch as to whether it will have harmed the girls they seem fine apart from having watery poos :shock: and they haven't eaten any of it since Wednesday & it looked ok then. Has anyone else's bokashi ever gone mouldy?

I'd bought it from ebay and it had a very strong vinegary smell to it when it first arrived so I did wonder whether it was real bokashi bran. I've always bought it from Wiggly Wigglers but I needed it quickly so got it off Ebay, I've learned my lesson and have just ordered the girls some layers mash with bokashi bran from Wiggly Wigglers, I also had to order the garden birds a lovely hamper and a couple of Christmas presents to get free delivery :lol:

I've bought bokashi from ebay that's gone mouldy after a few months - however it may be because it's packed in (biodegradable) plastic bags and I'd left it in them. Often I've thought I should put it into paper bags when I get it as the bokashi is damp and therefore stays damp....

This mouldy bokashi only goes in the bokashi compost bins, I'm not feeding it to the chooks.

P

I have had mouldy bokashi too - I e-mailed where I had got it from and they sent me a new bag.

I had previously got it from WW and it had been fine. This was a different supplier, it was damp and smelt lovely like a brewery. But perhaps that is why it went off...the new bag is drier, less scented and has lasted fine.

I bought mine in September from ebay too and that turned mouldy last week so I threw it away. It was the second time I had used that supplier on ebay and the first batch I had from him was fine and lasted my two hens about 6 months without going mouldy.

However, this second batch did have a VERY strong vinegary smell - the postman even commneted on it when delivering it, saying that he hoped nothing was broken (obviously thought I was ordering pickled onions or something!).

Needless to say, I will not be ordering again from ebay. I have gone to Holland and Barrat and bought a big bag of wheat bran for 95p, (compared to £6 for virtually the same amount of bokashi) which I will use instead and see how that goes. It doesn't have a smell to it at all. The other one used to stink out the whole room it was kept in.

I shall stick to wiggly wigglers in future, hopefully others will learn from our mistake and not waste their money :wink:

I'm hoping that mine like the mash with bokashi bran I've ordered, I've yet to find a layers pellet or mash that they really like, except for the nasty one with GM ingredients :shock:

After posting last night, I emailed the supplier I used on ebay with details of my transaction, and he has apologised, said the bran must have become wet at some point, possibly during transit. He said he now double packs his bran and the problem has been resolved.

He has offered to send me a replacement free of charge. Looks like it will be double bran for the girls for the time being!