chelsea

the Eglu and this cold weather

Is anyone else like me and worrying about their chickens in this cold snap?!

I know the eglu is supposed to be cool in summer and warm in winter, but I wonder how warm inside it actually is? Without getting in it myself I wont know will I ??!! :shock::lol:

Made hubby go out and put on the "duvet" on top of the eglu (my sister was throwing out her double duvet so I had it) and placed this over the top of the eglu for extra warmth.

I ask hubby for reassurance if they are warm and he just goes :roll::roll:

is anyone else like me.??...I doubt it :oops::lol:

I read somewhere about putting vaseline on their combs in very cold weather to protect from frost damage whilst braving cold windy days. Has anyone actually needed to do this. My ladies are just getting used to being held, I think smearing them with gunge would test our relationship

Please don't worry about you chooks getting cold - they are much tougher than you think. If you are going to cover the eglu, make sure you don't block any ventilation holes as that will do them far more harm than a chilly night. And they really won't feel the cold huddled together in their feathery overcoats - mine have coped perfectly in their wooden ark in temperatures of less than minus 10 :shock: !!!

I've just been to check mine. Their door is now left half open thanks to a great pile of bark that they've kicked up in front of it. The first 2 feet of run nearest the eglu is completely covered from side to side with a shower curtain. They all look snug as bugs in rugs! When I opened the egg port they all looked up and chuntered at me for letting in a draught - all except Fizz, the most nervous of them all, who was tucked up in the farthest corner from the door, underneath everyone, head tucked in and snoring gently! :roll: Bless!

I vaselines the girls pink bits this evening - fenny quite likes theh fuss - clara is not so keen. It is -1 here already and due to drop away more. I will give them porrige for breakfast again tomorrow - but they seem to be happy enough - even thoug I worry about Clara - she has a lopsided beak and is not as fat as Fenny her chookie friend. I worry too much - I know!!