Reikiranf

And then there was one!

I've spent more time at Mum's than I have at home lately hence my absence from the forum, we have Dad's funeral on Thursday so I'm not looking forward to that, I'm keeping myself busy and have done pretty well today, I'm taking a break from hoovering to write this :oops:

Lulu is doing fine in a large pet crate in the conservatory with daily supervised garden access :) I took the Eglu apart today and drilled a few holes in it as it has had water in the base almost since we got it as the join in the drainage hole in the nest wasn't sealed completely, anyway the base is now water free and Lulu is back in the run for a bit while I do the hoovering but she'll be back indoors before bedtime.

My brother and I have worked out a rota for staying with Mum which takes us up to the beginning of March so once things settle down a bit I'll be getting a few friends for Lulu :D I've been looking at Hen House poultry as I think I heard good reports about them at the Kent meet up, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you all for your support.

Amanda xxx

Im so saddened to read you post. Cant imagine what you're going through.

I nursed my mum until she died, and then sometime later decided to get my chickens as a hobby to keep my mind busy and give me an interest in things again, and I have to say they have been a great help.

Im sure you will be ready in the future to have more lovely hens, but right now you need to take lots of time out for yourself and allow yourself to heal. I agree with the other posts that right now your thoughts need to be elsewhere.

So sorry to read what a tough time you're having, there are lots of lovely people on here all thinking of you and sending you their love. Wishing you happier times ahead and big hug to you. Thinking of you on thursday xxxxxx

Thank you all for being so kind and caring, I was planning to get more chooks next month but am now not so sure as DH went into the conservatory on Sunday to look at Lulu in the run and there was a fox sitting on top of it in broad daylight :shock: He went out and chased it away and opened the eggport door in a panic as as all was quiet & he was worried that the fox may have scared her to death, but thankfully Lulu was snuggled up in the nestbox and shot out of the run and into the conservatory as soon as he opened the run door :D

So now I'm wondering if I should have Lulu fostered until the fox stops visiting as we'd hardly seen any foxes in the garden in the previous 2 years and since we had the snow we've had one daily :( Or my plan B is to get a paintball gun in the hope of scaring him away or at the very least to find out if it's the same one, I know that sounds nasty but I'm scared to get more girls as I get the feeling that this fox won't give up.

Sadly not Tom, I don't have a very big garden and I'd probably have to lose a few shrubs/borders to make room, I'm so paranoid at the moment I've locked the magnetic cat flap & wedged the cat scratching post up to it just in case the fox knows Lulu is in the conservatory and tries to get in :oops: I think I've had a bit too much going on lately & I'm losing it :lol:

Amanda xxx

Believe it or not this year got worse and my Mum died just 7 weeks and 2 days after Dad :cry: Things have settled down a bit and poor Lulu who has been on her own since January will be getting some new friends a week tomorrow :dance:

I'll be getting 3 new girls and wanted to know if introducing the new girls is the standard procedure or bearing in mind I just have Lulu as opposed to an established flock, whether I could just try and put them all together to start with and see how they get on, also do the new girls have to stay in for the first week like I did when I got Lulu and her friends?

I have got a run extension and have bought some bamboo canes to divide the run up and Lulu does have her dog crate in the conservatory to sleep in if they don't all get on to start.

Amanda xxx

Amanda, I'm so, so sorry to hear about your mum :cry: . How sad to lose her so soon after your dad :cry: .

I'm very glad to hear you're getting some new girls which will give you something nice to focus on :) . I'm not sure about introducing newbies to a lone hen. I think you'll just have to see how they react to her and and her to them and take it from there.

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mum Amanda :(

As for your intros, it may be worth trying the new girls straight in the Eglu (if you do it at night) and then get up early to see if there is any trouble. You can as you said separate the Eglu run with Bamboo canes if you need to. However, I am sure that Lulu will be delighted to get some new friends. I would ensure a few feed and water stations though, as that is where you may have issues with Lulu.

Amanda I will keep my fingers crossed that Lulu and the new girls get on okay. I bet she will be happy to see some fellow chickens. She might not want to move out of your conservatory though :wink::D I can't offer any words of wisdom on the intros as I've never done it before.

I showed Jack the chickens in Ruxley and he wants to get them from there so we are going to get some next Sunday so I will be going through intros at roughly the same time as you. We can meet up again, have some coffee and cake and compare notes. :roll:

So sorry to hear about your mum :( No wonder you've been stressed. Some new girls will distract you now :D

Best of luck both of you with introductions. Take it careful and don't be afraid to take some backward steps if you need to :D

I've just ordered another grub so that Lulu and my new girls won't be fighting over food, we go to Bournemouth tomorrow for a break (Mum & Dad were meant to be coming with us for their wedding anniversary, but I'm sure they'll be with us in spirit :D ) We come back on Saturday and get new girls on Sunday :dance:

I'm a bit worried as to how Lulu will react to them as she seem to love being an only child :lol: She's taken to jumping up at birds on the birdtable to scare them away, possibly because the flapping of wings blows food down or maybe just cos she's a bit of a minx, and she chases any cat who dares to come into the garden and often chases pigeons around :shock:

Seagazer, Kev & I went to Ruxley on Thursday evening & he thought the chickens there were lovely, so perhaps I may end up upgrading to a cube! I'll be in touch to compare notes! How many are you going to get from Ruxley?

Amanda

Amanda, by the time you come back and read this I should probably have the new girls. We've come back early from the coast as we're all feeling a bit under the weather for various reasons.

I'm just going to get 2 newbies as I don't want to overcrowd the WIR and think it might be easier to do intros with 2. I think it will be a Bluebelle and a light sussex cross :D:dance: I've given up my hope of different coloured eggs this time round :(

Not sure I'll sleep tonight for worrying about the intros :roll:

I hope you've had a lovely time away. :D