Reikiranf

And then there was one!

I saw a fox in the garden just before midday today sniffing around the Eglu & run and ran out to chase it away, then we checked on the chickens and found Mimi dead in the Eglu, she must only just have gone as she was still warm. So now I only have Lulu and I have brought her into the conservatory, she's in a large cat carrier has had a pedicure and seems perfectly happy I have been letting her out and she uses the cat scratching post as a perch and quite likes the sofa but I really don't know what to do as I know she shouldn't be on her own but I'm in a state at moment anyway as my Dad died on Tuesday, and I lost my cat Lily in August and Yum Yum just before Christmas and now Mimi, DH says we should get a couple more chooks asap but I'm not sure if I want to in this weather, as I don't think I can cope with any more loss.

I would very much appreciate your suggestions please I really can't think straight at the moment. :cry:

Oh my goodness I really feel for you, I am so sorry

If you dont want to get two new chooks I would keep your lone hen in at night as she will get a bit cold by herself and just let her out during the day

Introductons can be a bit stressful at times and at this point you need to thnk about you and your emotional family needs, if your little hen is fed and watered and warm at night thats all you need to do for her, she will be fine until you feel up to getting more hens

x x

I am so sorry to hear about your Dad and your girls.

I agree with your hubby, but understand where you are coming from on being unable to cope with another loss. Your girl will be OK for a week or so on her own I am sure, so maybe wait until the cold snap is over? You attention needs to be elsewhere now. Sending hugs xx

Very sorry to hear about your father.

Your hen will manage on her own so long as her basic needs are met. Under such difficult circumstances, there isn't really any other option as your thoughts will be elsewhere.

Is there someone nearby who could 'foster' her for you for a week or two?

I am very sorry indeed to hear your news, my sympathies are with you. Its one of the biggest shocks any of us will have to go through, so no wonder you are finding it hard to think straight. The others are right, Lulu will be fine in the short term on her own, perhaps bring her in at night if this cold wind persists and do give her some warming food (eg pellets in warm water and corn if you have it) during the day - perhaps your OH could help with this?

Other than that - put your needs first. If you would like more hens get them when you are ready, but don't feel under any pressure - Lulu is probably tougher than you right now! But if you don't feel up to it, then thats fine as well - your emotional responses will be very strong at the moment so for your own wellbeing just go with them. What about Egluntyne's suggestion - do you have a friend or neighbour who could hen-sit for you for a bit? If you wanted to go that route you could ask on here as well I'm sure, if it would help.

Thank you all for your advice, I have the added complication of my Mum being disabled due to arthritis and being an insulin dependent diabetic, she also lives over 50 miles from me, so my brother & I will be doing shifts by staying with her to make sure she's ok.

I don't really want to part up with Lulu as she's a lovely girl but I'm not sure that DH & DS will give her the necessary attention in my absence & she'll have to stay in the conservatory as I'm too scared to leave her in the Eglu & run with a fox on the prowl, but if someone did want to foster her how would they do it? Is it not the same as trying to integrate a new girl? Would it be better for her if I bought a large dog cage type thing for the conservatory? As that way when DH & DS are at work & school she'll have more space, obviously I let her out of the cat carrier when we're indoors and she has the run of the kitchen and conservatory much to the cats disgust :lol:

Poor you I am so sorry to hear your news..it must feel like the world is crashing in on you...Your little girl will be fine in your conservatory and I am sure your DH and DS will want to look after her extra-specially well to take the worry away from you...the main thing right now is to look after yourself so that you can deal with the things that need to be done...Animals are generally very tough ...Lulu will take each day as it comes...if only we could do that! Take care, and love and hugs at this very distressing time xxxxxx

As silly as it may sound, instead of buying a dog crate for her, could you bring the eglu run into the conservatory and put it on some newspaper or even just one half of it?

She may be better in there with a bit more space bit still confined, and its easily done leaving you more time to look after yourself/family.

As others have said, in the long term she'll need a couple of new friends but you have enough going on.

I'm sorry :(

Hi so sorry to hear that your Dad has passed away so recently. You do have a lot to bear just now. Please don't worry about getting company for your little hen - she will be just fine for a while. Please don't forget to look after yourself at this time although I know it's hard to do sometimes. Sincere condolences. Ax

As silly as it may sound, instead of buying a dog crate for her, could you bring the eglu run into the conservatory

Thats not a bad dea, if you remove the second half of the run the end panel fits to the remainder (its too big but it does attach ok) this makes a 1m run

Reiki, we've alread been in contact so you know how sorry I am about your Dad. If you would like me to look after Lulu then you know I would. I'm so sorry about Mimi, thats all you need at the moment.

Its a shame I've just given Cookie's puppy crate away as that would have worked well in your conservatory.

If there's anything I can do please ring me.

Annx

Oh I'm sorry, you are going through such a difficult time with the loss of your Dad and caring for your Mum and now the loss of Mimi too :(

The others have given you excellent advice for Lulu. We've had a chicken indoors for a fortnight in a cat carrier (= bedroom) and a large cardboard box cut in two halves and laid out flat for a run area. She'll be just fine in your conservatory. New chickens can wait until you're ready to think about them, You have enough on your plate right now.