Chickendoodle

1 or 2 dogs? Pictures added!

We have a lovely 4 year old labradoodle and we are toying with getting another dog.

We have had 2 labradors before and that worked well but we got the second one because our first dog had epilepsy and was very hyperactive. His companion calmed him down a lot and he adored her.

Henry, our labradoodle, is a very easy dog - he is gentle but funny, always comes back when he is let off the lead, doesn't disturb us at night (apart from barking at the odd fox) and is very happy I think. He is good in the back of the car and will happily sit there on his own if we need to pop into a shop.

Would a second dog upset his lovely nature? Does anyone have experience of this either negatively or positively?

Edited by Guest

A friend has a labradoodle that is like yours - they also board for Dogs for the Disabled, so have a regular stream of mostly labs going through their house. Their doglet (Bella) gets on very well with them and I am sure that it is good for her to have changing company like that.

When I worked from home many years ago, I always had my own dog, plus a foster dog that I was looking after for a lurcher/geryhound rescue organisation. Obviously they had all sorts of problems, but soon settled down.

The key is to your attitude to all this - your doggle will take the lead from you, but do make sure that you make a couple of visits (with your dog) on neutral territory before choosing your new dog.

I think a second dog would be great company and seeing as your existing dog is so laid back and good I can't see there being a huge problem.

We had Fern our GSD rescue dog for several years and then got another GSD puppy (Bracken) when Fern was about 7. Fern taught Bracken everything she knows - even down to toilet training :) and they were inseperable. Fern didn't change one bit!

You've obviously given it some thought, if you feel it is right then I say go for it.

We had the same concerns about introducing a bouncy puppy to Jazz who is a lovely natured girl.

I can't say it's been easy introducing Tali but they now get on well enough and Jazz's nature has not changed at all. She makes an awful growly racket when the two of them are playing..........but we think that will stop as Tali grows out of her puppy ways.

Glad to hear that they are getting on better now Lesley.

Some dogs just growl when they play, for example, it's a trait of lurchers - you should hear Ruby and Jenson (Moochoo's lurcher) when they get together. You'd think they hated each other, but they're best buddies :lol::roll:

It's going to be fun when they're all togehter then :lol: - better bring earplugs!

We always wanted 2 dogs so once we'd found Jenson and were on the look out for another lurcher. We found Willow and they're great friends. They're good company for each other and they're always someone to play bitey face with :roll:

Glad to hear that they are getting on better now Lesley.

Some dogs just growl when they play, for example, it's a trait of lurchers - you should hear Ruby and Jenson (Moochoo's lurcher) when they get together. You'd think they hated each other, but they're best buddies :lol::roll:

It's going to be fun when they're all togehter then :lol: - better bring earplugs!

Yeah, we've had to start muzzling Jenson when we're at the park with non lurchers so that people don't think he's going to eat their beloved dog! He's a soft as butter but try telling them that when he's making Raaaa Raaaaa Raaaa noises! :shock:

We had the same concerns about introducing a bouncy puppy to Jazz who is a lovely natured girl.

I can't say it's been easy introducing Tali but they now get on well enough and Jazz's nature has not changed at all. She makes an awful growly racket when the two of them are playing..........but we think that will stop as Tali grows out of her puppy ways.

Don't bank on it, Jess (6) & Daisy (2) sound like murder is being committed when they play!!

I'd say go for the second, but probably stop at that, my 3rd is a spoilt brat, the two older girls let her get away with all sorts of naughtiness with them that a second dog would not get away with.....or maybe that's just our house...........!

Sha x

Looks like I'd better go for it then! Thanks all

Would you have a puppy or an older dog?

Sha, did you have your second and third as puppies?

I'm just wondering if it makes a difference - there have been a few times when I've thought we'd have been better having a slightly older dog instead of a puppy :think:

I've found that it's less unsettling for the current dog if you get in a slightly older 2nd or third dog - the newbie understands all the social niceties and provided that you introduce them carefully, they are usually content to get along. Plus, they don't have the upset of a pup widdling all over the place and nicking their toys.

I have fostered both pups and older dogs in the past, Ruby was my first pup all of my own though (I'd always had older rescues), although my grandparents always had mature dogs and pups around. Lurcher pups are very demanding; they're bright and have far too much energy! :lol:

We introduced a pup to our dog and she hated him with a passion, wouldn't play with him, walked off when he approached he and got truley cheesed off when he grabbed her tail in his mouth and swung off her tail :lol:

He still whines at her until she gets out of which ever bed he wants to sleep in :roll: but at feeding time he won't eat until she starts, and at all times when they play it is wonderful to watch if noisy, as they are both very growly when they are playing together :lol:

I still tend to think a slightly older dog may have been easier for Holly to cope with, but as 2 year old rescue dog she needed to be shown how to play, and he did just that :D

Karen x

Don't think I would go for a puppy but I think the new dog would probably need to be younger than Henry.

We swore last time that we would never have another young puppy after all of the peed on carpets, chewed skirting boards etc etc ! Henry actually ate the corner of a wall that we had just had re-plastered.

Maybe one between 6 months and 2ish would be ideal.

On the other hand Henry is always very gentle and tolerant when we meet puppies - he doesn't even care if they hang off his ears so we shall see. I am a great believer that the right dog will find us. 4 years ago we had lost our black lab and our remaining lab, toby (chocolate, epileptic, hyperactive and very "special needs") was distraught. We said we had to get him another friend or he would just give up. Decided we didn't want another pedigree as they can be prone to various medical problems and I said to my OH that we should get a labradoodle - he had never heard of them (it was just before they got popular). Picked up the local Friday Ad and there was a labradoodle, available at 13 weeks old due to timewasters. We thought it was fate and Henry came into our lives.

He did immediately rejuvinate our chocolate lab but sadly he had to be PTS due to a brain disease 6 months later.

OK I have taken the plunge and sent off a form to the Labradoodle Trust to be registered as a potential adopter of a rescue dog.

Thought this was a good option as we love labradoodles - apparently they are getting a lot of rescue dogs as people don't realise how lively they are and how much exercise they need.

This way we can see how Henry is with a companion - the trust will take the rescue dog back if it doesn't work out. Hopefully this won't happen but it is nice to have the option!

I think initially it is on a trial basis anyway - the conditions also say that you cannot rehome the rescue dog yourself and that they must have it back to rehome again - it sort of always "belongs" to the trust which is good.

There are some very beautiful doodles on the site which have been rehomed. I suppose it is the unfortunate side effect of them becoming popular. My OH is retired so is home all day- they are certainly not a breed which would be happy to be left at home for long periods. They also love water and mud so definitely not for the house-proud! We live near the sea and the south downs so finding water and mud is not a problem :lol:

We have just got a labradoodle as a 2nd dog. She is 11months old and the family before us could not cope with her as she is very lively and bouncy. They tried their best but had 2 very young children (toddlers really) and so she came to us. :doh: She is really lovely and adorable BUT very lively and sociable. :roll: We are off to adolescence classes in early february :wink:

We do have an older dog and they both get on very well. Kind of rejuvinated the older girl. :)

sue

She will calm down a bit when she gets to 2 or so but still be a live wire! People think Henry is a puppy although he is 4 and we keep getting asked what he will grow into :lol:

Doodles do need a lot of exercise but in between Henry is incredibly laid back (literally - on his back with legs in the air displaying his bits!)

Sha, did you have your second and third as puppies?

I'm just wondering if it makes a difference - there have been a few times when I've thought we'd have been better having a slightly older dog instead of a puppy :think:

Yes Pops & Daisy were pups..........Poppy was an "I've always wanted a choccy lab & Jess needs company" purchase a few months after Jess the rescue arrived.....the resulting sulk from Jess suggested she did not agree, however they did settle eventually........and Daisy was a "thank you" gift from a couple we had supported through a family tragedy, thoroughly unnecessary it has to be said!

Jess adores the babies but has her jealous moments...and I do not have 3 hands to pet them all together, nor is my lap big enough for them all!!

I cannot understand people who get a dog without either prior experience or thorough investigation into the pros & cons then end up putting the poor little creature up for rescue or worse dump them out on the street...........those who profess to be unaware of how bouncy/energetic/potentially destructive a young pup/dog is or can be leave me speechless........*steps away from the soapbox*

Sha x

We've got the labradoodle rescue lady coming to see us on Friday to do a home check (or next week if there is snow). They have got 7 dogs at the moment needing homes so there should be a match for us in there hopefully - ages ranging from 7 months upwards (how could you?)

Still nervous about upsetting our dog Henry but I'm sure after a few days he will forget he was ever on his own. The guy on TV, the Mexican dog trainer whose names escapes me (!) says that dogs live " in the moment " rather than dwelling on things like we do.

Such a shame that people take on dogs that they can't keep for one reason or another. I absolutely adore labradoodles but they are a bit crazy and need a lot of attention - they would hate being left on their own and I would imagine could be quite destructive when bored.