Well what do you know ..Just went down to check the chooks - should have taken a small dinghy its been raining so hard ..And they have put themselves to bed .. they are sooo clever... Be interesting to see how they manage to get down tomorrow.

And the best bit is no aubiose blocking the door ! :dance:

I am shutting them in the eglu just for tonight to make sure the run isnt breached by anything ..[ fox ..and badger central ]. Have I mentioned that my new WIR is fitted with extra strong 16G wire .. :lol: then they can start coming out on their own ..as the nights are much milder and the morning sunrises so much earlier !!!

It rained so hard last night that the garden is swimming in HUGE puddles.. The good news is the run is dry in the middle so the roof is sound .. the bad news is the run is soaking wet from all sides.

The run is a LOT wetter from the fence side ... I guess the rain was bouncing off the fence and concrete and back in [ That is the side the roof slopes to ]

So I am thinking to tarp the fence side ???

That way at least the tarp wont ruin the WIR good looks...

Any thoughts ?

Guttering :?

I would cover the side most likely to get rain for me SW and on others use tarps or whatever when needed. I look at wind direction on weather forcast each day except last night and guess what :roll: This is only a cube run though but the same principles would apply when I get a run. :D

guttering = waterbutt = more money ... not possible at moment.

The rain even came through on the side protected by the massive laurel and that had an omlet cover there .. ! Whichever side I choose is going to be wrong... especially with torrential rain and wind.

:wall:

Edited by Guest

I just look at the bbc one. Here's Surrey's looks a bit wet down your way :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/4172?count=10

Guttering wouldn't cost too much if you did it yourself and get a waterbutt later. http://www.wickes.co.uk/Guttering+Drainage/Roundline/icat/groundline I would just use brackets and channels along the bottom of the roof and end bits and a corner to direct the end bit away from the run.

Another option would be to put panels on the sides held in place with hooks or bungees. It may work out cheaper than tarpaulin :? Like these http://www.wickes.co.uk/Clear-PVCu-Corrugated-Sheet/invt/240152. You could move them around the run depending on the direction of the rain.

In the meantime good old Ikea shower curtains at 79p each do the job held on with bulldog clips, bungees or whatever. :D

Don't let it get you down your run is smashing and you'll find a way that works. Chickens can always learn to swim. :D

Plum you do make me laugh :lol:

The tarp is a pain .. I gave up trying to put it up this afternoon.. Too windy...and my little helpers were hopeless ! The chooks disappeared up the garden ..and the kids disappeared into the run :roll: Through the pophole :shock:

I do have the corrugated sheets though..

I suppose I was just trying to come up with an ultra neat solution .. and avoid the squatter camp look .

I use bbc weather all the time ... never really noticed the wind direction ..

If it says SW .. Does that mean it is coming from the SW.... or blowing to the SW..

Check out that rain forecast this weekend ...yuck

It means it's coming from the SW. :D

Don't know how to avoid the squatter camp look. I look at my set up and think - how come it all looks so neat on the website. :lol: Mind you it can all come down when the sun shines and anyone is likely to be outside and admire it. :wink:

Your must have pretty small kids :roll:

yes they are tiny and fast!

I said they could come and look at the run .. stood by the door waiting for them ..and they came in from under the eglu .... monkeees !

My first reaction ..was watch out for the poo !!! They didnt notice as they then began playing lock mummy in the run game..

Like I said .. I gave up trying to put the tarp up !!!