MrScruff

New Member WIR questions

Hi All

Am new to the forum and have been scouring loads of your posts over the past few weeks. Firstly, I just want to say thanks for all of your posts and for all of the invaluable information-I never knew there was so much to think about!!!

Am new to keeping chickens and will clearing a sheltered area at the bottom of the garden that currently has an old greenhouse sat on it (about 3metres by 4metres)

The only thing I haven’t managed to find too much info on is whether it is okay to leave the chickens (overnight/weekend- provided they have plenty of food and water) or does the Eglu cube have to be locked up every night? This sounds daft, but it almost decides the sort of run that I make for the little fellas …or ladies I should say!!).

I don’t think I will write about the ridiculous amounts of plans I have already scribbled on a piece of paper, but my current plan is to either build or buy a walk in run from aviaries 4u and place the Eglu cube inside with a side hatch for the eggs. I imagine weather would play a part in locking them away, but am just trying to cover all bases before we take the plunge.

Would they be safe in a WIR for the weekend if they weren’t locked away in the cube every night? Also, is the type of run (19grade 1inch wire mesh) from aviaries4u foxproof or would you recommend a higher grade of mesh?

It’s not that we have a fox problem in the garden, not that I aware of, but we have seen them in the street late at night. The garden itself is fully enclosed by a 4ft wall and trellis and climbers to over 6ft, but am sure they are very inventive creatures and the cats have no problem getting in and using the garden as their private en suite.

Will give the chickens the run of the garden on the weekends when we are around to keep an eye on them.

Anyway, will leave it there for my first post-thanks for reading and any help and advice would be great. Am based in Cardiff and would also be looking for local hen and organic feed suppliers or probably just going to plunge straight in at the deep end and get 4 ex-bats for starters!!

Cheers

Ian

Welcome to the forum :D

They're fine to have the eglu/cube door left open overnight as long as the run is fox-proof. I leave my doors open overnight pretty much all the time and they're fine :)

19 gauge is fine :) Thats what I have, and so do many other people on here.

Personally I'd say get a couple of hybrids first to get used to having chickens, the get ex-batts, but a friend of mine went straight for ex-batts and was fine with them :D

Can't really add to what Lewis has said :)

My cube is on the outside of the WIR and I always leave the door open (well apart from two nights when it was down to -12)

As for which chickens to get, we started off with 6 ex batts and then added to them with "posh chickens." We now longer have any ex batts left :( but the pleasure we got from watching them become proper chickens was definately worth it. The only thing I would stress though is that eggs are not a guarantee with ex batts.

Welcome to the forum, MrScruff :) (I have an image of you in my head now :lol: ).

Can't really add to the above, except to say that I have an Aviaries4u walk in run and absolutely love it (you'll see it in my signature link).

Your chickens will be absolutely safe from a fox in one of their runs (as long as you take steps to prevent digging underneath the run edges with slabs or similar).

Thanks for the replies and the info. Such a nice welcome to the forum!!! THe WIR looks really good and will probably be copying/ordering one in the near future, although I am not looking forward to taking the greenhouse apart. :? Am asking around to find it a good home.

I will place the run on slabs with about a six inch "overlap" of slab outisde the run.

It's good to know you can "leave" them. Not that I am expecting to do it all the time, but just in case.

Have heard and read very mixed reports about ex-bats. I just thought I would let them have the space first rather than put them in with an exisitng group. Am not too bothered about massive egg production, just really looking forward to watching them running around the garden after being couped up their whole lives. Probably add one or two to the group of four when they are established and fully recovered (possibly a blackrock/sussex to boost any egg shortages hehe).

Well thanks again and will keep things posted.

MrScruff (by name and nature :D:D )

Hi All

Have just been looking at roofing for the WIR and came across some posts for coroline/Corolux/Vistalux roofing (stupidly can't find them again).

What are peoples preferences for roofing? Especially after such heavy snow and cold weather.

ie clear or transparent(slightly bluey colour), 3" or mini profile...and what the hell is the difference between them all??!! Ariel webpage gives the same info for each.

Have managed to find some in B&Q, although what they had was very mangled and cracked. Found some too on the Homebase webpage, so I might take a wander in as their stores tend to be less messy :wink:

Thought I would get some advice from some experts before I order it in from the builders merchant

Thanks in advance

Ian

We have the corrugated plastic sheeting from Wickes as it was cheaper than B & Q etc this They were also doing a discount if you bought 5 or more sheets. Oh and don't buy the fixings in a small bag as it's surprising how many you need. Ours has survived the snow but then it does depend how much you got. We only had a few inches.

We do have to do some work though on our roof as it's not supported well enough.

If we were taking everything off and starting again I think we'd go for this

HTH :)

Hello Mr Scruff :D

I am not too far away in Neath, so if you fancy a trip down the M4, you'd be more than welcome to see my Walk in Run (an Aviairies4u one!) and my set up.

As for breeders/suppliers, there is a Countrywide in Cardiff which sells feed and some stuff, there is also one in Bridgend.

If you want Ex Batts, Judith at Hen Rehomers (http://www.henrehomers.net/ who runs the Cardiff rescue (she's actually Llantrisant) is fantastic, they are doing a rescue at the end of the month which is fully booked, so I don't know when the next one is.

If you wanted to start with Hybrids, I can highly recommend Debbie at Lay a lil egg for me (http://www.layalilegg4me.co.uk/#), she is lovely and her flock are really well cared for. She has a few different breeds in at the moment, including white egg laying white stars. She also supplies feed :D

Hope this helps, feel free to PM me if you want as I am localish!

Debs

Edited by Guest

I am also getting one of those runs should be here next week, you will put some pics up so you can get a good idea of it before you order if you want. i havent even had my girls for a week and i am going for the WIR, should of done what you are and go WIR first wouldnt of wasted so much money on 4m of cube run extension! LOL.

Have fun with your girls when you get them.

we also just brought a greenhouse, although havent put it together yet!

Hi All :D

Thank you for all the fab help and advice.

Am spoilt for choice now on the roofing front and will probably go with the one that has stock and also the correct size. I did find some in the Screwfix catalogue of all different shapes and sizes so that also looks a good option- but I think B&Q is the cheapest.

Just to add, I have used the bitumen roofing from Wickes…it is great stuff, very sturdy, but is also very heavy.

SpaceChick-thanks for the info regarding ex-bats and also breeders AND feed..almost a one stop shop. First place I have found that sells the organic feed locally in 20kg bags and the hens look great too. Will probably add two to my exbats once they are fully recovered. Will see how I get on with clearing the garden and I know some more exact sizes-huge amounts of ivy to clear…and am sure I will have loads more questions. Thanks for the offer of popping down -I might take you up on the offer closer to build time.

Any preference for the organic/”normal” feeds?

I must admit, I am stupidly excited about getting chickens..and also making them a great home. Have had a look at all of your WIRs and am very jealous!!! I want one now!!!! :D Looking forward to seeing your new WIR captaincollins..and good luck for the build too.

Off to find a whole load more questions-catch you all later

Cheers again

Ian

Hi Mr Scruff, I can't help you with your WIR questions, but I would just like to make a recommendation for Ex Batts Crumb as a really good feed for your ex-batts.

I fed mine on it from day one, and they are still on it now and looking so healthy. Although it costs a little more than standard layers mash/pellets it contains extra protein and calcium and also added goodies like garlic so you shouldn't need to supplement with anything for their health except grit.

Just one tip though - the crumb can be pretty messy as the hens tend to fling it around a bit. I found that a gravity feeder with the 'spokes' screwed down fairly low in the feeder has more or less eliminated this problem.

Hi All

Thanks again for the advice.

Thought I would stop planning and start with the work...and have just ordered my cube!!!!

I really am stupidly excited..is this normal????

Have got a few options on where to put the cube, so I thought I would get the cube and build the WIR around it. Hens are "on order" and thanks to everyone on the forum, I have more ideas than I know what to do with...all good though and great to have a number of options to fall back on if certain things don't work/fit.

Chicken info is great too (although I am REALLY not liking the look of red mite :shock: )

Rest of the greenhouse should be down this weekend and I can start laying the base. Quick wander round the builders merchants too on sat to find and price up some decent timber. Am sure I have missed a number of things, but will have fun finding them out!!

Cheers all and have a great weekend

Ian

Hi MrScruff welcome to the forum, looks like you have already received some great advice :D

I have a 12x6 WIR made up of panels with a corrugated steel roof, it doesn't get too hot or cold in the WIR so I find it great.

IF you plan to build yourself, it can be done relatively easily and much cheaper than buying a premade one. You will also them be able to really tweak it to how you want it.

Also if it hasn't been mentioned you should add guttering :)

Also try freecycling your greenhouse, I am sure someone would want it. ;) That would give you a help in getting it down too ;)

pics of my run to give you an idea (although we all do things differently)

showing how the Cube butts up to the WIR with slot to allow the roof to slide.

SP_A0293.jpg

Pretty basic but made with panels screwed together, more panels bigger size etc.

SP_A0334.jpg

many people have tried to talk my hubby into building theirs, bribes have been offered, but he doesn't budge... :lol:

I keep him far too busy here, he's building the girls a fixed fence to their area soon (when the weather improves) then a wooden store... then errrrm???? oooh I will think of something. ;)