MrScruff

New Member WIR questions

Hi All

Right, greenhouse is down and am preparing the floor of the run. :)

Realising it is going to cost me a bit (a lot) more than I realised, but the OH is not on my case yet so all things are good. :o

Thought I would add a few techie details in case anyone is going through the same thing at the moment.

All bought from Jewson as they were by far the most friendly, cheapest and best selection (no I don’t work for them lol).

Base-have gone for laying paving slabs of a suitable size so that they don’t break my back when laying (450mmx450mm x 38mm)-but still heavy enough to stop something tunnelling underneath. These were the same price as the ones from B&Q etc, but 50mm bigger and a few mm thicker.

Haven’t been able to find any decent 50cmx38cm treated wood that doesn’t look knotty and unplaned. Finally settled on some 50cm square (2x2) treated kiln dried with a nice finish and smooth edges-this comes in 5.4metre lengths at about £1 a metre.

Also some 4x1 inch lengths of treated wood to edge the slabs.

Wire mesh-Hills of Devon by far the cheapest and with next day delivery. Went for the heavier 16grade 1x1 inch square rolls due to an over excited dog who has a tendency to launch himself at things…introductions will be fun!!!

Am going to copy a Tony run (SORRY!!), but bolt together. Sit the roof on top of the walls and secure this in place at. As the run backs onto fence on two sides I wanted to still be able to get at the fencing behind and have gone for bolting together-also with the roof sitting on top of the run I can remove a wall section and the other sections should hold the structure and roof in place. All good in my head and on paper, but will be fun to see if it works. :)

Am still wondering what to do with the roof as the run will be about 3metres by 3.5metres. I am going to put on some clear corrugated (corolux/vistalux small profile)roofing, but was wondering if I need to put wire mesh across the roof? Am sure for the chickens security I am going to do this…and for my own piece of mind. Probably means I have to buy another roll of mesh at some stage-will see how I get on when I start building. Otherwise cheaper chicken wire should be ok (unless anyone has had problems with critters getting in this way?)

Anyway that’s about it. Have arranged all to be delivered on Friday when the MIL is in the house…so that should be fun..along with my cube!!!! :):):):):)

Off to see what food is in the cupboards so I can work out what I have left to live on till payday

Hehe

Cheers for all your help

Best wishes

Ian

Hi Plum

Taking photos as I go and will post soon.

Have used similar galvanised bolts before and they are easy to use. Unfortunately its a trip to B&Q but find the "screw and Nail" aisle where they have bolts on display.

I have used the plain domed head bolts with a long thread. They come in different lengths and as they get longer they get thicker.

Sizes go M6 to M8 as they get thicker and length increments of 10mm so you can pretty much get bolts to fit any width of wood without too much extra thread showing.

To join two bits of 50mm wood, I would probably buy a 110mm length bolt that would have to be M8 in width-should be just enough room for the nut to screw on. Drill the hole with a suitable wood drill to fit the size of the bolt. Couple of taps with the hammer and the bolt goes through.

Hope thats not too confusing hehe

Cheers

Ian

You make it sound so straightforward :D

I think I would be safer doing that than using screws. I found I made the hole too big in the first piece of wood, then the movement made the selftapping part of it in the second piece of wood work loose. This was only on a mini run. :D

Hello Mr Scruff! I'm another one with an A4U run. Have a look at my photo-history of when I built it last year. There's some construction pictures here, and then details of things like the roof and guttering here.

Hope this helps 8).

Andrew

Andrew - I've just looked at your photos! Awesome detail - thank you so much. I'm looking at same size run as you - so really useful to see the detailed photos - even down to being able to count the slabs. I like your border around the side too!

Do you have any recommendations for changes having done this? Things you would do differently second time around? I like the fact that you have a water butt too.

The only difference I'm thinking of is to put my Eglu (cube) on the outside - and probably at the end of the run too (ie short side, not long side as I've seen most of them) - with access door on long side.

Good luck too to mr Scruff and his new Eglu and WIR.

We're all at it, aren't me?

Ooh what a day!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Cube arrived...lots of boxes!!! :dance::dance:

Wood arrived..slabs arrived...wire arrived....just waiting for something to go wrong.

Levelling and laying slabs this weekend. Neighbours being very nosey...I think they think I am mad :)

More to follow-have a great weekend all!

Ian

Phew..busy weekend and have sorted some piccys. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Chicken central being located at the back of the garden-surrounded by walls on two sides and some high trees. Should be nice and sheltered for the little ladies :D:D:D

IMG_0445.jpg

The greenhouse that was-already has a new home, so I am very happy about that. :):)

IMG_0447.jpg

Obligatory pics of piles of wood and slabs :):):) ..and my little helper

IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

Ta da!! No more greenhouse!! :o:o:o

I still have the concrete base that the greenhouse was bolted onto-so I used this to level, although was a pain if I got any stones on this section when levelling as the slab just rocked about :cry:

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

Dog for hire-no area too large to slab :angel:

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

Anyway, pretty sore today but well worth it. :):):) looking forward to giving some little ladies a good home. Just a small matter of building the run and we are all done..oh and putting the cube together hehe

Cheers

Ian

Edited by Guest

Hi All

Thanks again for all the support and encouragement. Looking forward to the next stage, but am away next two weekends so things are on hold. :(

Days are drawing out a bit and might have a bit of time after work now and then to cut some wood and, most importantly, put the cube together.

Unpacked it last night and took up a whole room. :o:o:o

Gonna get it down the bottom of the garden before I try and assemble (but does look like a fab home for some little chooks!!)

Totally agree that the info on this forum is invaluable to someone taking on such a project-so a huge thanks to everyone. Am sure I will stray into other areas of the forum as I delve deeper into the chicken world hehe

Good luck for the WIR plans Kit and very jealous about your Tony run arriving on the 8th Poached Egg. :D:D:D

Am happy to announce that Scruffy the dog is in full recovery mode for the second phase and my aches and pains are fully healed thanks. :lol:

I do have one question regarding the wire mesh. Was just wondering on how people tend to fix this to the wood? U-shaped fixings or a staple gun?

I was thinking of treating myself to a staple gun as it would probably save me hours of work-or just hammer in loads of u-shaped nails. How are other runs fixed please.

Also for cutting-should really try a bit myself as it sat in the back garden-but is the 1.6mm wire mesh fairly easy to cut? Plyers ok? Might try a bit tonight.

Cheers

Ian

Ian, we used the U shaped nails and a hammer and for cutting I found that hedging shears did a good job :) Oh, and wear gloves as the mesh tends to ping back!

Just remembered we have also used a staple gun but that was only on an internal section we made when we had to keep Mum and chicks away from the others. If you can get a heavy duty gun and staples I'm sure they'd be fine but ours was a very cheap set from Home Bargains, something like £5.